Considering getting a hybrid bike. Thoughts?

Options
I'm heavily considering investing in a hybrid bike. I'd primarily like to use it for commute to work/the park/etc. What're your thoughts & experiences? I like the versatility factor and have read that it makes for a stable commute bike (my work is roughly 7 miles away).

I'd just like some input before I take the plunge. :)

Replies

• jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Look for a "fitness" bike instead. It's a faster version of a hybrid, but not quite a full road bike. Same price range. You'll give up a little upright sitting position for more speed and efficiency. Much more enjoyable for weekend rides of longer distances too.
  • yourpalsoap
    Options
    Look for a "fitness" bike instead. It's a faster version of a hybrid, but not quite a full road bike. Same price range. You'll give up a little upright sitting position for more speed and efficiency. Much more enjoyable for weekend rides of longer distances too.
    yeh, I have a hybrid and it makes for a nice cycle around the park but if you're cycling 7 miles+ on it then it's going to be too heavy and tiring.
  • blushpeonies
    blushpeonies Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have a hybrid - I just switched to more of a commuter hybrid rather than a comfort one. It makes my commute to work SO MUCH NICER!
  • lckamnetz
    lckamnetz Posts: 6
    Options
    I used to have a hybrid bike, and I wasn't a fan - it was hard to get going fast and hard to traverse hills. My commute to work is about 10 miles, 3 of which are very hilly. I just recently got a (lower end) road bike that wasn't much more expensive than my hybrid, and totally worth it. Either way make sure you get your bike/seat properly fitted when you buy.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I love my hybrid bike.

I have a Kona Dew Deluxe. I don't find it heavy or cumbersome for long rides.

Not as fast as a roadie bike by faster than my hardtail mountain bike which I used for both commuting and trail riding for 4 years.
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I had a hybrid bike for 5 years and I loved it. I rode it about 2-3 miles a day (round trip) to get to classes in college. It's definitely not as fast or efficient as a road bike, but a little bit more comfortable. My bike was also cheap, around $180 from Target. You may want a road bike if you’re going farther or over a lot of hills.
  • drearewal
    drearewal Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you guys for your input!! :) totally appreciate it.

Now my question is: where did you guys get your bikes? (I read Target!)
  • altorose
    altorose Posts: 2
    Options
    I used to have an entry-level Trek hybrid that I loved. I got it fitted with some commuting gear (fenders, rear rack, etc.) and used it to commute to the train station (~4 miles each way) during the summer months. As far as bikes go, it was a very comfortable ride, but very heavy and not fast at all. If speed is important to you and/or your commute involves any hills (mine was mostly flat), I'd recommend going for a lighter road bike.

My bike came from a local bike shop and cost around $400.
  • vincelaccro
    vincelaccro Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    300$ - 500$ for a good hybrid bike some bikes can lower the handle bar to lower air resistance
    if you want to go faster and you can also raise it for more comfort.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for your input!! :) totally appreciate it.

Now my question is: where did you guys get your bikes? (I read Target!)

Depending on how much use you plan to get out of it.

If you are looking for a daily rider - go to a bike shop and pay a little more for a better quality bike

If you aren't looking for a daily rider - a bike from target will work, but i would still recommend a bike shop.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I have a Giant Escape that I got a couple years ago at a bike shop for $450. It's nice! I've never had a road bike or mountain bike though so I can't really compare it to anything. I'm training for a mini-duathlon on it (just an 8 mile bike ride in between 2 short runs). Anything longer and I might get a road bike but 8 miles is totally fine.