Lifting at a deficit...

Options
I am about to start a real lifting program with a trainer at my gym. Over the past year, I've dropped 72lbs byeating at a 2lb / week deficit and doing tons of cardio. I've been steadily losing weight and moving toward my ultimate goal weight (185lbs) I'm, about 10lbs off it. I really want to start focusing on body fat % as opposed to just the scale.

My new goal is to reduce my bf% from 23.5% to 17%. What I am confused about is how to do it. If I continue eating at such a big deficit, I won't be able to build new muscle right? So isn't the weight lifting pointless?

If I eat at +.5 a week gain to build muscle, won't I see my BF going up? Is there no way to avoid a bulk/cut cycle? At 23.5% I can't imagine a bulk cycle makes sense. I guess, I am just confused as to what benefits I will see by starting a lifting program while eating at a deficit.

I plan on lifting 3 days a week including squats and doing about 60 minutes of cardio on alternating days. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    not pointless.

Lifting while at a defecit helps you maintain your current muscle- get stronger- and optimzing fat loss.

losing weight =/= losing fat- often for people who do diet alone- or cardio only - they wind up losing some muscle along with it. some form of resistance training will help retain muscle.

so NO- not a waste.

And you can get stronger on a deficit. Building muscle can happen for newbs- or those who used to lift quiet a bit and are returning to lifting weights- or people who start lifting while they are obese- BUT- the gain is small and happens only under kind of the "ideal exception" conditions.

Most people just get stronger and help facilitate their fat loss.

Every program designed for wellness and health should have a weight training regime.
    good for your muscles
    good for your bones
    good for your balance
    good for your mobility
    good for your body's over all fitness level and health.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    And you can get stronger on a deficit. Building muscle can happen for newbs- or those who used to lift quiet a bit and are returning to lifting weights- or people who start lifting while they are obese- BUT- the gain is small and happens only under kind of the "ideal exception" conditions.

More accurately, they'll maintain muscle, but they will see gains due to improvement in their nervous system/form.

Eating on a deficit means it's not possible to gain muscle, per se, but losing bodyfat will uncover the muscles you already have, leading to the same happy conclusion. But I'm just being pedantic - your advice is great.

OP, just make sure you get plenty of protein in your diet while lifting to prevent the weight loss from coming from muscle.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Details matter.
    :) so sometimes it's okay to be pedantic- we can all stand to learn a few things.

But yes- lifting is a "get stronger- lose body fat- see fabulous"

But there gain be actual size gain with those few conditions- but it's not much- and it's a limited time frame.

and yes- most often it's a
    "lift weight- lose body fat- reveal the fabulous"
  • tannatannabobanna
    tannatannabobanna Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ great advice, never stop lifting even in a deficit, proper nutrition and solid lifting regimen will help you maintain a great deal of your muscle mass while in a caloric deficit.
    Crush it brotha!
  • benchsquad65
    benchsquad65 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am about to start a real lifting program with a trainer at my gym. Over the past year, I've dropped 72lbs byeating at a 2lb / week deficit and doing tons of cardio. I've been steadily losing weight and moving toward my ultimate goal weight (185lbs) I'm, about 10lbs off it. I really want to start focusing on body fat % as opposed to just the scale.

My new goal is to reduce my bf% from 23.5% to 17%. What I am confused about is how to do it. If I continue eating at such a big deficit, I won't be able to build new muscle right? So isn't the weight lifting pointless?

If I eat at +.5 a week gain to build muscle, won't I see my BF going up? Is there no way to avoid a bulk/cut cycle? At 23.5% I can't imagine a bulk cycle makes sense. I guess, I am just confused as to what benefits I will see by starting a lifting program while eating at a deficit.

I plan on lifting 3 days a week including squats and doing about 60 minutes of cardio on alternating days. Any help would be appreciated!!!

You lift as hard as you can. Human beings evolved to run 40 miles a day and hunt sabre toothed tigers, they were never like will my BMI go up if I eat more? Just be a beast and quit with all this dumb bulking cutting mentality everyone thinks one bulk and cut is gonna solve all their problems.
  • ecphillips1286
    ecphillips1286 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I recently made a response similar to the ops question and basically said the same thing as you guys. and now I am getting rained on by dis agreements and disrespect. I basically said what all of you have said regarding making gains while in a deficit. I'm glad that my personal progress is accurate. Good luck to all.
  • mrloserpunk
    mrloserpunk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    not pointless.

Lifting while at a defecit helps you maintain your current muscle- get stronger- and optimzing fat loss.

losing weight =/= losing fat- often for people who do diet alone- or cardio only - they wind up losing some muscle along with it. some form of resistance training will help retain muscle.

so NO- not a waste.

Most people just get stronger and help facilitate their fat loss.

Every program designed for wellness and health should have a weight training regime.
    good for your muscles
    good for your bones
    good for your balance
    good for your mobility
    good for your body's over all fitness level and health.

:-) solid encouragement!!! Thanks for the response! I fear I didn't have much muscle to save before i started losing weight, but I can clearly see this is the next evolution to my fitness/health mission!
  • mrloserpunk
    Options

More accurately, they'll maintain muscle, but they will see gains due to improvement in their nervous system/form.

Eating on a deficit means it's not possible to gain muscle, per se, but losing bodyfat will uncover the muscles you already have, leading to the same happy conclusion. But I'm just being pedantic - your advice is great.

OP, just make sure you get plenty of protein in your diet while lifting to prevent the weight loss from coming from muscle.

I'm working hard to hit the MFP protein goal. Protein shakes x2 day are on the horizon and various rewards for hitting goal. Take a peek at my diary, and let me know if I'm still short if you get a chance. Thanks for the reply!
  • mrloserpunk
    Options
    Your profile is set to private, but I'd be open to reading that thread, what's the title?
  • ecphillips1286
    ecphillips1286 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Can't get smaller while weight training. Either I didn't understand the question or they didn't know what I meant when I responded.