Things that suck about being fat

Options
Working on a list for my motivation board: "Things that suck about being fat"

What pet peeves are you most looking forward to leaving behind?

I'll start...

chub rub / chafing
compression garments
not fitting knee-high boots because my calves are too big
neck sweat
getting winded going up 2 flights of stairs
having breathing problems bending over to tie shoes (or painting/cutting toenails)
not quite fitting into airplane & stadium seats
being the fat girl engaged to the skinny guy
one size all doesn't fit me
FUPA
wanting to sit/lie down all the time
depression/anxiety related to weight and health
the Bad Habit Cycle
not feeling sexy
being the fattest of my friends
my outside doesn't fit my personality
poor posture
back problems

Replies

• enzosmama
    enzosmama Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Having to shop in the plus sized stores- I can't wait for that to be over!
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Leg chaffing
    Can't see everything while shaving
    Getting winded, period.
    The knee length boots thing is total truth. They should make some that fit for just bigger calves in general.
    Boy shorts swim bottoms. Done with those.
  • SsetAdnama
    SsetAdnama Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The knee length boots thing is total truth. They should make some that fit for just bigger calves in general.

They do make them, but I'm broke and can't afford them. All the boots in my price range are meant for skinny calves. Boo-hoo!
  • Rhaynestorm
    Rhaynestorm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Feeling my back rolls rub together from sweat when I'm out for a walk.
    Having my belly hang down over my belt when I'm sitting.
    Not being able to wear thigh-high stockings/nylons because they don't stay up or they make my legs look like sausages spilling out over the edges.
    Feeling my fat jiggling around when I walk.

I'm sure there are more, that's just what's off the top of my head.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I'll start...

chub rub / chafing I have chub rub and chafing- legs and arms
    compression garments still wear them
    not fitting knee-high boots because my calves are too big still have issues with boots sliding down b/c the calves don't fit
    neck sweat definitely
    getting winded going up 2 flights of stairs EVERY DAY TO WORK I DO
    having breathing problems bending over to tie shoes (or painting/cutting toenails)
    not quite fitting into airplane & stadium seats depends on the seat but yeah- big butts don't fit well comfortably- no matter how plus they are
    being the fat girl engaged to the skinny guy try being the fit one with the over weight one- not much better
    one size all doesn't fit me one size all is one size fits almost no one
    FUPA I look 4 months pregnant all the time b/c of this
    wanting to sit/lie down all the time probably not for the same reasons- but THIS- ALL.THE.TIME - tired is a state of being.
    depression/anxiety related to weight and health this never goes away- it gets better- but you wind up fussing with other things
    the Bad Habit Cycle all mental- not your actual weight
    not feeling sexy happens to everyone
    being the fattest of my friends happens at any size
    poor posture it doesn't have to be- skinny people have poor posture too- fix it now
    back problems

Oh honey- I think ti's a good idea- but wrong direction because I have bad news for you- I've added my comments in bold to your quote

many of those things can be addressed now- and are well outside of just a size issue. I'm kind of sad to see this list because it's so negative and the reality is many of us deal with these things on our own- in our own way- like I said- I get mad chub rub- and I have body image issues- i'm fabulous- but some days I just look down at my fat thighs (they aren't that fat but they look like it those days) and I just want to cry- all my accomplishments be damned.

Then I go put on sexy dresses- go to dinner and make my BF crazy over me and forget what I was thinking about.

I would focus on the positives and working on improving your mental image of yourself NOW. If you wait till you're "skinny" it's going to be hard b/c you'll realize many of the issues are completely separate from your actual weight.

For me it was important (IS- not was LOL) to focus on positives-
    getting to spend more time with active family members?
    getting to shop more!
    trying new things you couldn't' before!
    being more fit means so much to me- and when I am not fit- and I can't keep up- or am limited- it's a big motivation to look forward to trying new things- rock climbing- kayaking- horse riding hiking stuff like that- it opens a lot of doors and opportunities.

Anyway- I love the fact you have a motivational board though- so keep that up- but don't forget the positve things to look forward to as well!!!
  • riosangel
    riosangel Posts: 5
    Options
    decrease in sex drive and performance.
    sweat tends to smell stronger.
    losing motivation to work out because of knee and back pain at the end of a sesion .
    knowing you are probably killing yourself and not doing enough to revert that.
  • Stiang
    Stiang Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    1. Blue jeans don't fit - my hips/rear end is way larger than the waist and it cause a gap large enough for a softball to fit through. Any belt I get stays along the hips but allows the pants to slide.

2. Cute tops that have to be larger than the bust so it can fit around the waist. I have to pin the tops to my bra strap and wear a jacket to hide the safety pins.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

Aw man. This. I went to Hot Topic back when I was like 22 and saw an awesome pair of knee high boots. I had the guy grab me my size from the back and when I pulled up my pant leg to put them on, he said...loudly..."wow you have huge calves!!"

I said "yeah I know, @$$ hat, thanks for the reminder" and walked out.

I haven't tried on a pair of knee high boots since.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    WTF is FUPA?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    front upper pu**y area

(least that's how I learned it)

some people really have more of a what is affectionally called a gunt

gut + ****

but- semantics I guess. Shrug- my internals sit higher- so it looks like I seriously have a FUPA- it makes me CRAZY- because there is very little fat in that area- it's simply just a higher resting baby maker I'll never need. I fu*king hate it.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Thigh chafing :sad:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    WTF is FUPA?

Hah I had to Google that. It's an overhang of one's gut over their "private" area.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think FUPA stands for "fat upper pubic area"...that's what I've always heard anyway.

I think the worst thing about being fat is other peoples' negative assumptions...especially if you are obese/morbidly obese, a lot of people (including some fellow fat people) will assume one or many of the following things...that you are lazy, unintelligent, do not care about your health, take Rx meds for many health issues, have hypertension/diabetes/infertility, can't walk long distances or climb stairs, do not have healthy lifestyle habits in ANY WAY, binge eat, overeat at every meal, have a bad sex life, and are not stylish or sophisticated in any way. By no means an exhaustive list, either.

That stuff used to p** me off something awful because for me none of it was true...for some reason it bothered me MOST when other obese or morbidly obese women assumed it about me. I wasn't in denial about being dangerously obese, but I didn't have the issues that were assumed.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Freaking cute tops. Like. I'm pretty top heavy even when the rest of me isn't overweight and these tops are designed for freaking a cups or something and I can't makei t work and it's so depressing.

thigh rub when I wear dresses.

Honestly though I got over a lot of the rest of it because I was choosing to live my life in a way that left me sad, anxious, etc. and one of the steps of getting out of the self harm cycle I was in, was realizing I can change things I don't like.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I'll start...

getting winded going up 2 flights of stairs
    wanting to sit/lie down all the time
    depression/anxiety related to weight and health
    not feeling sexy
    poor posture
    back problems

Yeah these are most of mine.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

They do, they call them European cut. They're more expensive though.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    WTF is FUPA?

Hah I had to Google that. It's an overhang of one's gut over their "private" area.

Wearing high waist-ed white starched pants for a long portion of my college carreer- did not do well for ANYONE who had any gut that looked remotely close to this.

My poor roommate was called the four foot fupa- boys are mean.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    front upper pu**y area

(least that's how I learned it)

some people really have more of a what is affectionally called a gunt

gut + ****

but- semantics I guess. Shrug- my internals sit higher- so it looks like I seriously have a FUPA- it makes me CRAZY- because there is very little fat in that area- it's simply just a higher resting baby maker I'll never need. I fu*king hate it.

What my friend lovingly refers to as vag fat.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Snort.

That's hysterical... but no- I've seen that up close and personal- that's a WHOLE other ball of wax- I'm not sure which is better though!!!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    The frowns I get from the hostess when I visit my favorite Chinese buffet.