looking for a new job

Options
Holly_penguin
Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
Today was the final evidence I needed to prove I am in a hostile work environment that I am I being discriminated against on a daily basis by my boss. I need to look for a new position, STAT.

I can't concentrate on work at all right now and seriously doubt I'll be able to ever again in this office.

Can anyone relate? Anyone have a similar experience. Any advice at all on next steps?

Replies

• MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    What is your boss doing and where do you live? There are generally certain things that you can do in order to properly deal with the situation (and this is on top of you finding different work). I'm just wondering because I work at a law firm, so I often wonder what kind of things people allow their coworkers/bosses to get away with.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Can't relate. People are rarely hostile to someone who is 6'3".
    I can tell you that you should just quit. Walk out. See Jerry Maguire or Half Baked for some inspiration on how to do it.
  • pnkpassion
    pnkpassion Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I totally relate, their were no legal avenues for me to take and it was the most stressful 5 years of my life!!

I quit and did the happy dance, my sanity was not worth a paycheck. I did find an amazing job 3 weeks later and am still here.

Look at your local non-profit associations and good luck!!
  • my_2_cents
    my_2_cents Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Its a tough job market in many areas. I'd strongly suggest finding a new job that you're happy with before you give up on the old one. I know many people who've been searching for good work for years.

You also have to accept that good paying jobs will require you to make sacrifices. I work in a 24/7/365 environment, and we are desperate to hire with starting wages around $50k per year, but we can't get people in the door because they don't want to work shift work. I am absolutely shocked at the number of people in their 20's who think they are better off in their parents basement playing video games than working shift work for $50k plus as much overtime as they want.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    What exactly happened? Because if it's actual discrimination, there are HR departments for that.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that you should just quit. Walk out. See Jerry Maguire or Half Baked for some inspiration on how to do it.
    :laugh: The Half Baked way is the ideal way of quitting.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    :laugh: The Half Baked way is the ideal way of quitting.

It's my favorite too.
  • triciabh1
    triciabh1 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Don't forget to send out your memo...I mean mission statement.

Seriously though, you should speak to someone in HR...that's what they're there for. My mom was in that situation about 5 years ago and on a whim just quit without another job to go to. It took her 9 months to find a new job and it was a horribly minimum paying job. She's in a better place now and she still doesn't regret leaving that job.
  • Holly_penguin
    Options
    Although the evidence has been stacking up for years I documented nothing. I naievely convinced myself I was 'imagining it all". That no-one is still discriminated against becasue they are a woman anymore. That fight was won already, wasn't it? So I don't think I have a legal case. Nor do I really want one. I need to find a new job. And upon my exit will have a sit down with HR about how I've been treated.

At least that is my plan now.

I work in RI/MA as a Purchasing professional. I have over 20 years experience in various industries. I just need to stop working hard for this Dbag and start working hard for myself and my resume.
  • my_2_cents
    Options
    And here's the harsh words that no one else will tell you. Before you try to decide if you're being discriminated against, whether because of gender, or anything else, you should consider if perhaps your boss treats you poorly because you are simply not performing at the standards they expect. I have absolutely no knowledge of you or your workplace...I don't even live in the same country, but in my workplace I have seen about a dozen people make serious allegations of harrassment, when in reality they were simply underperforming in a workplace where underperforming can get people killed.

We spent months or years dealing with their poor performance before they finally either quit or were let go.

Take a serious look inside yourself and consider whether this might be the case with you, then you can deal with other people's behaviour with a clear conscience. I assure you that if you're underperforming in this job, quitting and moving to another one won't make it better if you still don't meet the expectations there.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Although the evidence has been stacking up for years I documented nothing. I naievely convinced myself I was 'imagining it all". That no-one is still discriminated against becasue they are a woman anymore. That fight was won already, wasn't it? So I don't think I have a legal case. Nor do I really want one. I need to find a new job. And upon my exit will have a sit down with HR about how I've been treated.

At least that is my plan now.

I work in RI/MA as a Purchasing professional. I have over 20 years experience in various industries. I just need to stop working hard for this Dbag and start working hard for myself and my resume.

Your approach is a mistake. As HR will have no interest and take no action upon your exit. Lots of people ***** on the way out. The question is, "why didn't you do anything about it while you had the chance to affect change?" It's a go0od question.

Was that quote from another thread or was that comment deleted? I don't see it here.

Anyways. Even without written notes sometimes cases can be successful, just fyi. After I got fired from my first job, I went to EI (here in Alberta, Canada - that's who you apply to to get payments while looking for another job) and I told them of everything wrong that was done to me (without any documentation). I won my case and my old law firm was told that the way that they'd treated me was unfair. It was really nice actually, that they got served with those documents.
  • Holly_penguin
    Options
    this is freshly happenign as we speak.

I may request an appointment with HR for Monday, so I can go in with a clear head.

The discrimination isn't overt, it is subtle. And my boss is a spin-master. He has said int eh past:

"If I gotta eat dn you gotta eat, I'm gonna eat"
    and
    "Tanya Harding is my hero. She saw her obstacle and took care of it"

So, yeah. When i started 7 years ago I was one of 5 women in a 8 person department. We are now a 12 person department and I am the only woman. As to my work performance, I agree that it is hard to look at yourself in a harsh light. But as a generally self-depracating person I always assume that if someone is promoted over me it is becasue their work was better than mine. This past annual review period, after writing down all my accomplishmenets I compared to others. (this is public knowledge at my company). I had the greatest cost of goods savings, the most sheltered moneies negotiated, the best GMROI, the best turns and the best fill rate of all the teams. And was the best for past 2 years. It was very enlightening to realize.

This man either hates me, hates women, hates women in business or doesn't like working with women. it's eitehr personal or gender based. But not due to poor performance. I almost wish it were. At least I'd feel I'd have control of that. I could work harder, better, whatever. Actually my performance shows that i have been working harder and better adn still men are promoted, paid more and respected over me every day.
  • my_2_cents
    Options
    this is freshly happenign as we speak.

I may request an appointment with HR for Monday, so I can go in with a clear head.

The discrimination isn't overt, it is subtle. And my boss is a spin-master. He has said int eh past:

"If I gotta eat dn you gotta eat, I'm gonna eat"
    and
    "Tanya Harding is my hero. She saw her obstacle and took care of it"

So, yeah. When i started 7 years ago I was one of 5 women in a 8 person department. We are now a 12 person department and I am the only woman. As to my work performance, I agree that it is hard to look at yourself in a harsh light. But as a generally self-depracating person I always assume that if someone is promoted over me it is becasue their work was better than mine. This past annual review period, after writing down all my accomplishmenets I compared to others. (this is public knowledge at my company). I had the greatest cost of goods savings, the most sheltered moneies negotiated, the best GMROI, the best turns and the best fill rate of all the teams. And was the best for past 2 years. It was very enlightening to realize.

This man either hates me, hates women, hates women in business or doesn't like working with women. it's eitehr personal or gender based. But not due to poor performance. I almost wish it were. At least I'd feel I'd have control of that. I could work harder, better, whatever. Actually my performance shows that i have been working harder and better adn still men are promoted, paid more and respected over me every day.

Not to be an *kitten*...but perhaps being logged into MFP isn't the best choice to make while at work with a boss you think hates you lol.

I'm at work, but my work is unique in that all I can do is sit here and wait for more work to come to me, and my boss doesn't hate me.