Is it bad to have a cookie while I'm on my diet?

Options
I'm new to my diet. I'm a week in and doing great. Been short on my calories, lost weight and feel better. Would it be bad if I were to have a cookie from Subway today? My calories would still be short.

Replies

• Reprocess
    Reprocess Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you have the free calories for it.. GO FOR IT! :)
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    To keep me from totally blowing this thing, I have to keep my sweet tooth happy so I allow myself 3 miniture reeces peanut butter cups a day...that totals 132 calories but well worth it!! Realistically you cannot go the rest of your life without a cookie here or a piece of candy there...it is all about moderation.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    If it fits within your calorie goal by all means go for it. There is nothing wrong with cookies, brownies, cake, ice cream and the list goes on.

I would recommend you follow the IIFYM (If it fits your macros), which is eating what ever you want during the day with the goal to meet a carb, fat and protein goal. If you want to learn more about IIFYM there are plenty of good posts you can search out.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Why are you on a diet? Dietz are temporary. Aren't you making a lifestyle change? If your lifestyle change includes never having a cookie again well then maybe you shouldn't eat a cookie....:huh:
    Obviously I'm being facetious. A sustainable lifestyle includes everything in moderation
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Of course not, just make it fit into your day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm new to my diet. I'm a week in and doing great. Been short on my calories, lost weight and feel better. Would it be bad if I were to have a cookie from Subway today? My calories would still be short.

IIFYM, eat it!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Go for it! That is the whole idea of MFP: learn to eat real food in real life situations but eat in a way that you can reach your goals (loss, gain, maintain,etc). Better to buy a cookie at Subway and eat it than buy a package of cookies at the store and eat too many if you are a beginner and are still learning moderation.
  • ashgirl95
    ashgirl95 Posts: 48
    Options
    Moderation. Everything in moderation.

Cookies are great.

Eat the cookie.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Have it with milk and my blessing.
  • ShannonS921
    ShannonS921 Posts: 194
    Options
    Of course not, just make it fit into your day.

This.

I've had 4 today! :bigsmile:
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Calling it a "diet" is not good.

Don't cut any foods from your diet (I mean this as eating plan) just to lose weight unless you plan on never eating the food again.
    Because that's a bad idea.
    You won't be preparing yourself for maintenance.
    And cookies are delicious.
    Unless they're burnt.
    Or white chocolate macadamia nut. Eck.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Nope, not bad at all. Make sure it fits in your calories and macros (if you track those) and enjoy it!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Have as many cookies as you want. Just make sure you want to waste calories on them. Enjoy!
  • kmurphy798
    kmurphy798 Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks for the answers. It's really new to me and I've found my self with questions. Thank you all
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I had gelato for breakfast, because I made it fit my macros. Eat the cookie! But make it fit your macros (carbs/fat/protein).

ETA this. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity It's very helpful for filling out your diary.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

Don't cut any foods from your diet (I mean this as eating plan) just to lose weight unless you plan on never eating the food again.
    Unless they're burnt.

That's blasphemy... Those are the ONLY ones at Subway worth eating. lol
  • Fig_1946
    Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Absolutely have the cookie! Allow yourself a treat now and then or you'll feel deprived and resentful. Deprivation leads to binging and we all know where THAT leads!
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Unless they're burnt.

That's blasphemy... Those are the ONLY ones at Subway worth eating. lol

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Moderation. Everything in moderation.

Cookies are great.

Eat the cookie.

This!! "C is for cookie, that's good enough for me." Cookie Monster
  • chefmhs
    chefmhs Posts: 4
    Options
    never forbid food you are making a lifestyle change just don't by 3 and eat all 3 .