Clean eating or Calorie Counting, which one is it?

Options
I get so discouraged seeing some of these Fitness Guru's either on Instagram or Youtube saying that they got all their results from eating clean and organic.

But here on Fitness Pal, I've seen a lot of people say you don't have to eat clean to get the results you want.

I go back and forth and get confused sometimes on what I should be doing.

I recently watched a video on youtube of this "fitness guru" giving advice, he said he has his girlfriend eating egg whites every morning (I eat 2 whole eggs every morning with 1 piece of bacon), only eats "from the ground food", and then he went on to show his girlfriend's before and after picture, she now looks like a freakin supermodel, flat abs, skinny legs and he claims she got there but eating NOTHING PROCESSED.

This is where I get confused and a bit frustrated. I don't know how I should be eating half the time...

Any advice would help.

Replies

• amy_huckaba
    amy_huckaba Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. It is confusing. I started on MFP almost a month ago, I have not changed my eating habits still eat junk sometimes, but I have been counting calories and am staying at or a little below my calorie goal. I have lost about 9 pounds so far. I have about 50+ pounds to lose. That being said, weight loss is different for every person, you will probably just have to try different things and figure out what works best for you. I wish you luck. :smile:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I get so discouraged seeing some of these Fitness Guru's either on Instagram or Youtube saying that they got all their results from eating clean and organic.

But here on Fitness Pal, I've seen a lot of people say you don't have to eat clean to get the results you want.

I recently watched a video on youtube of this "fitness guru" giving advice, he said he has his girlfriend eating egg whites every morning (I eat 2 whole eggs every morning with 1 piece of bacon), only eats "from the ground food", and then he went on to show his girlfriend's before and after picture, she now looks like a freakin supermodel, flat abs, skinny legs and he claims she got there but eating NOTHING PROCESSED.

This is where I get confused and a bit frustrated. I don't know how I should be eating half the time...

Any advice would help.

If your goal is to lose weight, a calorie deficit is all you need to accomplish that goal. (this can be done with all types of foods) Unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to eliminate items. Enjoy your eggs and bacon for breakfast.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You can find shredded people who do flexible dieting and you can find shredded people who follow a "clean" diet. Just because one person followed a particular diet and had some success does not mean that's the only diet you can follow if you want to have success. Who cares what some dude's girlfriend did? Worry about what works for you. The best thing you can do is find a sustainable way to create a caloric deficit and exercise frequently.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    It's not a black and white argument. There are many many good reasons not to eat empty high calorie junk foods all the time. There are almost none to eliminate them completely. It really does all come down to moderation.

If you just want to be thin. Then by all means eat crap and maintain a calorie deficit. But if you want to actually look good. You will probably need to eat healthy nutritious food. That doesn't mean eating paleo or "clean" that means healthy nutritious food.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    You can do either. "Clean" eating works in the sense that many people, when they do away with all processed foods and eat only whole foods end up eating in a caloric deficit. Calorie counters do not restrict their diets but ensure their caloric deficit through tracking. Both methods require a deficit. If you eat 100% "clean" but manage to eat more calories then you burn, you will not lose weight. If you count calories but are poor at tracking your intake or you estimate too much you might not be in a deficit and you will not lose weight. Whether you eat "clean" or not, calories still matter. I prefer to count calories because I know it is completely unrealistic for me to never again eat processed foods. While my diet is mostly based around whole foods there is nothing inherently bad about eating ice cream or pizza from time to time. So long as it falls within my calorie and macro nutrient goals, I can enjoy treats and still achieve high level results!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    You can find shredded people who do flexible dieting and you can find shredded people who follow a "clean" diet. Just because one person followed a particular diet and had some success does not mean that's the only diet you can follow if you want to have success. Who cares what some dude's girlfriend did? Worry about what works for you. The best thing you can do is find a sustainable way to create a caloric deficit and exercise frequently.
    Pretty much this. Just because some woman looks great from eating clean doesn't mean that's the only route.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You can overeat eating "clean" foods. The reason clean eating helps some people lose weight is because they end up eating a lot of produce, which is low calorie per the volume of food. Or they don't like the foods they are eating so they lose their appetite :).

Some people find they get strong cravings or find it hard to limit their portion sizes when they eat sweets or junk food or fast food, so if they eliminate that food, it eliminates the temptation to overeat.

If you can stick to your portion sizes and calories goal, you can eat whatever you want. In general, I find eating more veggies, along with smaller portions of processed foods helps to fill me up on less calories, but still enjoy the foods I want.

You just have to find the balance where you are enjoying eating AND hitting your calorie goal.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit
  • Fig_1946
    Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. You eat the way you eat As long as you don't live on crap, and watch your calorie intake, you're ok. I'm a vegetarian, but that's MY choice and I don't preach my values to anyone.

I hate it when some self righteous so and so tells us that we must do things "this way" or fail miserably.

Do what works for YOU. You'll be fine.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

I recently watched a video on youtube of this "fitness guru" giving advice, he said he has his girlfriend eating egg whites every morning (I eat 2 whole eggs every morning with 1 piece of bacon), only eats "fromu the ground food", and then he went on to show his girlfriend's before and after picture, she now looks like a freakin supermodel, flat abs, skinny legs and he claims she got there but eating NOTHING PROCESSED.

Any advice would help.

First of all, don't believe everything you see on you tube.

Secondly, I have nothing against clean eating, but I do take issue when people say they lost weight because they ate clean. You indeed can eat any type of diet and lose if you consume less calories than you burn. You can also gain on any type of diet, including clean eating if you eat more than you burn.

I have lost 44 pounds eating anything I choose, including those "from the ground" foods, as well as processed foods, and I've been maintaining for several months. Eat "clean" if that's your (generally speaking, not you personally) preference, but it really makes no difference in regards to weight loss.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

^^ That ^^
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i've been eating clean and organic for years, and i was quite heavy. i am now eating clean AND calorie counting, and am very pleased with my results thus far.
  • marquishagetaka
    Options
    I'm counting - I have no idea how to do that clean eat.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    While I have nothing against eating clean (other than the fact that no two people can agree on exactly what the definition of "clean" is, and how much non-clean stuff you are allowed), you will only lose weight if you are in a calorie deficit. Period. Eat more than you need - be it clean, dirty or just plain tasty - and you will gain weight.

Clean/organic/paleo/low carb/keto/whatever the current fad happens to be is no magic bullet. In general, there is nothing unhealthy about any of the ones I listed (nor anything magically healthy about them either), but they will not by themselves guarantee weight loss.

To get ripped: get down to a low enough body fat percentage, have some underlying muscle, and you too can have those rock hard abs. Remember to be dehydrated for your photo shoots though for optimum effect!

Anyone who tells you there is only one way to get "there" (where ever "there" happens to be) is probably trying to sell you something.

Eat in a way that makes you feel good and sated, and gets your micro and macro nutrients in and meets your other goals. Eat in way that is sustainable for YOU.

You don't have to deprive yourself of all your treats - just eat them in moderation and work them in to your allowance. Avoid trigger foods if you have to, but remember that you'll probably not be able to avoid them forever, so try to find a healthy way to approach them if possible.

Move more: do some sort of exercise you enjoy. But don't rely on it for calorie burning so much as overall health.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Calorie cutting first and then clean eating with lots of fiber and taste. For me.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I don't like to discriminate against foods. So, I get a balanced diet including everything and stay within my respective calorie goals and win
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I lost 77 pounds eating exactly what I used to eat, just less of it. Yes, I've gained back some from falling into some bad habits a couple of months ago, but I'm working on it. Its all about having a deficit of calories burned vs. calories consumed.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    No matter how "clean" a person eats... if they are eating more than what the body can burn, then they are not going to lose weight... regardless of how close to natural form their food consists of.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    As someone said, the reason many people who eat 'clean' lose weight is because when they cut out the processed foods they end up in a calorie deficit. Starches and legumes aside, it's harder to overeat when eating 'clean' - just try to eat 500 calories of broccoli in a sitting - that's nearly 3 full plates of just broccoli, no one's stomach is that big. (like I said, this doesn't include white starchy vegetables or grains, as those are significantly more calorie dense so even if you eat organic, "clean" potatoes for every meal you'll still overload your carbs).

In my opinion, unless there's a medical reason for it you don't have to cut out egg yolks, bacon, anything. Shoot, you can have cake if you have self control (I do not, which is why I don't bake). Just so long as you're eating ENOUGH, but not TOO MUCH, you will lose weight.