Supplements

I have seen all of the Dr. Oz and such ads for things like Garcinia Cambogia, Green Tea Extract, SlimQuick, etc...has anyone tried these supplements and seen results? I've always wondered if they actually work, and/or if there are any negative side effects with them. I know diet and exercise is always best, this is just out of curiosity.

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Waste of money
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Dr. Oz is a quack. He got lectured by the senate you know.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1362884-quackery-pseudoscience-and-just-generally-bad-information
    From the article that is linked to in that thread:
    Sen. Claire McCaskill, the chairwoman of the Senate subcommittee on Consumer Protection, took Oz to task over false claims he’s made for over-the-counter weight loss cures. For example, Oz proclaims that worthless supplements such as green coffee beans [33] have “miracle” properties.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    My daily vitamins and caffeine are the only supplements I need. And the only reason I need those ids because I have 3 boys, and don't always get enough rest, and I eat things other than sprouts and organic vegetables.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    My daily vitamins and caffeine are the only supplements I need. And the only reason I need those ids because I have 3 boys, and don't always get enough rest, and I eat things other than sprouts and organic vegetables.

Oh! That reminds me of another question...my vitamins have 10 calories because I hate swallowing pills and need the gummies...lol. Do you/would you recommend adding the vitamins to my diary so my vitamin %'s are accurate? Or does it not really matter?
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    The only supplements I take are my daily calcium, vitamin D and iron supplements. Instead of throwing money out the window on supposed "weight loss miracle cures" I would rather take that cash and save up for a nice reward (eg. massage, piece of jewelry) for putting in the hard work to lose weight properly.
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    I would not purchase those he mentioned. I would look at your macros and see what you are needing. Right now, I take Alive women's daily and 250mg of magnesium. I like the Alive since it comes from plant based sources which are better for your body to absorb. I think I need to add iron as last week, my first full week of logging, I only got 10%! Crazy I thought I was eating enough meats & greens, just goes to show it is good to track for many reasons. I think I might also need potassium, possibly Vitamin D. Not sure on those as the moment.

Do a little research on what you are eating and what you might be lacking and start with a good daily multivitamin. Don't believe the hype!!
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Anything Dr Oz pushes you can immediatly ignore, most you need to take is a multi vitamin and maybe some fish oil.