Whey protein

Options
Hi all,
I joined a boot camp and my trainer recommended whey protein. Is there a specific brand that anyone would recommend?

Replies

• jtorrens01
    jtorrens01 Posts: 15
    Options
    No particular brand just as long as its high protein low carb low fat and low sugar.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    I had the optimum nutrition 100% gold standard whey reccomended to me here. The double rich chocolate and vanilla ice cream flavors are both good.
  • cgonzales325
    cgonzales325 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I will keep that in mind thanks :)
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    GNC AMP makes a good vanilla one
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    optimum nutrition 100% gold standard is very highly reviewed on Amazon by people that know more than I do.

I personally like the strawberry banana flavor, although the double chocolate and rocky road is good too.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition. They have a bunch of flavors available and I've gone through 4 or 5 of them now...there was only 1 that I probably wouldn't try again.

Another brand I've heard is good is Trutein, but it's a lot more expensive :(
  • Chuckermyfitnesspal
    Chuckermyfitnesspal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been taking this one for a month or two, its good. The lowest carb one I've found.... I buy it on amazon but this is actually a better price.

http://www.iherb.com/MRM-Low-Carb-Protein-French-Vanilla-1-784-lbs-810-g/15244
  • cgonzales325
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Sam's Club has a "Weight Loss Protein" I believe made by BPI sports......or ON.....can't recall now.....but it was actually pretty good. Contained Protein, Caffeine, CLA, and some other addition......I like to rotate my proteins.....I started out small......for the wee cheap Body Fortress Whey Protein.....lol......when I got my Sam's CLub member ship though, and found these 3-5 lb bags, it becomes a better buy (and less trips to the store......for tubs lol).

But yea, I've tried Muscle Tech 6 Star from Walmart too.....can't say I've had any "better effects" though......

I will warm you, Body Fortress (cheap whey from walmart ......) is currently involved in a class action lawsuit from "protein spiking" their Whey Protein....lol. I heard about it on one of my health groups on FB.....apparently the protein they advertise does not "match" the grams per dose....or something crazy.....they spike it with taurine or something......I'm kinda new to tbe body weight/weight training.....but apparently Taurine is a form of protein....or strain or something....

But yea, it's all explained in a blog here:
    https://blog.priceplow.com/protein-scam-amino-acid-spiking
    lol.

Basically, Taurine and other amino acids aren't complete proteins....but BodyFortress was equating them as such.....to "spike" the Protein (per gram....) on their labels/adverts.....YMMV.......if all else, go for a can of sardines, TUNA, pickled Herring......mmmm YUMMY......
  • cgonzales325
    Options
    What do you like to mix the protein with?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    What do you like to mix the protein with?

Almond Milk! If you are calorie conscious, make sure you get the unsweetned almond milk (plain or vanilla) that says 30 calories on the container. There are several brands but, Silk and Blue Diamond are probably the 2 biggest well known.
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Isopure. More $, but better ingredients. Especially if you get the natural. 100% whey protein. No other ingredients
  • oinkerjnn
    oinkerjnn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    As long as its all natural you're good to go. Though it seems like not eating processed food isn't a huge priority around here.

It is to me though.

I get max pro all natural vanilla from muscle max and mrm all natural Dutch chocolate on amazon. Get a shaker cup or better yet use a mini blender. Unmixed whey protein is nasty.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    IsoPure.
  • oinkerjnn
    oinkerjnn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Isopure. More $, but better ingredients. Especially if you get the natural. 100% whey protein. No other ingredients
    I just jumped on this bandwagon. Like ten seconds ago. Good call.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I like Cellucor the best by far!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Natural Chocolate. They make a Chocolate and Vanilla in the natural variety. No artificial sweetners in it. 130 calories, 24g of protein, and you can usually get a 5lb container of it for around $50 or less with free shipping from different places online.

I used to use the regular ON 100% Whey, but the artificial sweetners in it would give me headaches. I quit using it for a week and the headaches went away. Started using the natural kind and never got any headaches. They sweeten it with stevia I believe.

I have shakes in the morning with skim milk and then make protein bars/cookies for snacks throughout the week. Stuff tastes great!
  • tannatannabobanna
    tannatannabobanna Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    TigerFitness.com