Working out when sick?

Should I push through it and exercise? Or could I end up setting myself back by making myself even more sick? How do you know when to rest and when to work through the pain?

Replies

• It is all about being in tune with your body. When I got sick last time I didn't bother exercising, my weight lifting workouts are really intense having me squat and deadlift over 300 lbs each time. I just took it easy, rested and went back to the gym when I felt up to it. I took the first few days doing lighter weight to get me back into form and just get comfortable with the movements again before I got back to my workout.
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Thanks, I think I tend to ignore my body and push through it out of guilt. I'll take the night off and try to work out tomorrow morning instead.
  • JLCrunch
    JLCrunch Posts: 46 Member
    Bump.

I've been dealing with this for about 3 weeks. Kids and I had pneumonias. They went on antibiotics and got well immediately (yay!) but I on the other hand am having a slooooooooooooooooooooooooow recovery. My energy is non-existent, I have chills all of the time which has confined me to staying indoors on top of the aches and pains. It's setting me back. I've somehow managed to maintain around the same 2 pounds for the past two weeks. Its been three weeks should I just get my butt up and do it at the risk of making my health worse?
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    JLCrunch wrote: »
    Bump.

I've been dealing with this for about 3 weeks. Kids and I had pneumonias. They went on antibiotics and got well immediately (yay!) but I on the other hand am having a slooooooooooooooooooooooooow recovery. My energy is non-existent, I have chills all of the time which has confined me to staying indoors on top of the aches and pains. It's setting me back. I've somehow managed to maintain around the same 2 pounds for the past two weeks. Its been three weeks should I just get my butt up and do it at the risk of making my health worse?

I'm not a doctor but I would definitely recommend against that. You need to give your body a chance to recover, even if that means taking a few weeks off to do so. You're not gaining weight so no harm done in waiting.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited November 2014
    Depends honestly on the type of "sick" you are talking about and also if you work out at home or at a public gym. If you have a head cold and workout at home have at it as I find that it helps, but if you are feverish, fluish, I would recommend giving your body time to recoop and feel better before pushing too hard (but I am not a doctor). But please if you are snotting everywhere, coughing and contagious, and workout in a public place STAY HOME!! No one wants that! Thanks! Hope you feel better soon!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    It depends, if it's a cold I muscle through it. When I caught a stomach bug and was barely able to eat/keep anything down, I laid in bed and thought pitiful thoughts.
  • I caught a bad cold last year and earlier this year. Each time I was pretty comatose, but after three days in bed I'd get up and do at least 30 min of exercise. Each time I felt 95% better and was up and mobile after that. I'd say listen to your body and do what you think is best.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    He1loKitty wrote: »
    Thanks, I think I tend to ignore my body and push through it out of guilt. I'll take the night off and try to work out tomorrow morning instead.

You need to examine your relationship with fitness if missing a workout makes you feel guilty...

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You need to examine your relationship with fitness if missing a workout makes you feel guilty...
    I think you need to examine your relationship with fitness if missing workouts doesn't make you feel guilty.

OP, it's your call. If you are not that sick then you could probably get away with it but if it's really bad then you should probably take it easy for a while.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    OP, thanks for your post. I've been nursing a bad head cold and concerned that I haven't been to the gym in a week and a half. I'm starting to feel better now and am thankful I was patient to let my body heal. I suggest that you do the same - listen to your body.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited November 2014
    Lofteren wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I think you need to examine your relationship with fitness if missing workouts doesn't make you feel guilty.

OP, it's your call. If you are not that sick then you could probably get away with it but if it's really bad then you should probably take it easy for a while.

I'd say a combination of both.

I am always remiss and angry that I miss a work out. Even when it's in my best interest to rest and heal.

But I never have long deep conversations about what a failure I am about it and just quit doing anything for the week- or just say- oh well I didn't do so well so I'm binge eating the day because Eff it why not.

A reasonable balance of disappointment laced with guilt is fine as long as it isn't accompanied by hours of guilt ridden self flagellation.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    my philosophy is when I'm sick. my #1 priority is to recover and feel better which involves rest and good medicine! lol i would not workout if you are super sick. save your energy for fighting off the sickness.
    working out is taking care of yourself but resting when you are ill is also taking care of yourself so don't feel guilty for missing a workout you are still taking care of yourself =)
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Should I push through it and exercise? Or could I end up setting myself back by making myself even more sick? How do you know when to rest and when to work through the pain?

I would rest. Working out puts so much stress on the immune system. You won't lose much getting better; then, you can come back and enjoy it.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    I've worked out sick before. Light work and made sure to keep warm and work up a sweat. The immediately come home, take a hot shower, KEEP warm and get a full night's rest.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Depends honestly on the type of "sick" you are talking about and also if you work out at home or at a public gym. If you have a head cold and workout at home have at it as I find that it helps, but if you are feverish, fluish, I would recommend giving your body time to recoop and feel better before pushing too hard (but I am not a doctor). But please if you are snotting everywhere, coughing and contagious, and workout in a public place STAY HOME!! No one wants that! Thanks! Hope you feel better soon!

This! Get rest, feel better...and keep cold and flu germs at home!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Funny you should mention this. It is cold and flu season after all. I just caught a bad cold with fever, chills, yadda yadda. I gave up all extra activity for 8-9 days which was very hard to do. But getting better was more important. Besides I looked it up and realized I was contagious for ten days. No way I wanted to give anyone else except my husband this nasty virus. Guess what? I lost more weight that week.... go figure. Now I am back to my pre-cold activity and I am recovering quickly.
  • DeannaLynnPerkins
    DeannaLynnPerkins Posts: 41 Member
    It all depends on what I have and how I feel. If it's just a common cold where I have a runny nose and a little cough, I definitely workout. But if my stomach is upset or I have a horrible headache, working out just makes it worse. So yes, you should listen to your body and not feel guilty. Normally if you're feeling too bad too exercise, you are feeling too bad to over eat and should at least stay around the current weight you are. I also find that if I'm feeling sick and try to push myself to exercise, it takes me longer to recover from the illness and my workouts aren't even that great since I'm tired and unable to really give it my best shot. If you're questioning it, I'd take it easy for a few days and if you MUST exercise then just stick with light intensity like walking. :-)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    I don't think you'll "make yourself more sick" just listen to you body. I work out when sick when feasible - can't run when I'm coughing and congested, hard to lift safely when I have the flu and am weak. a little cold, and upset stomach, sure I"m working out still.