Maca Powder Taste - ICK

Options
Morning All!

I am trying to get some extra nutrients into my diet wherever I can, Maca Powder was on sale at my supermarket so I decided to grab some to throw in with my oats or protein shakes etc.

One problem.

IT TASTES FOUL.

No matter how little I use, all I can taste it is horrid awfulness.

There's maca capsules you can take but I don't really want to be taking more pills than I already am (I have a few prescription medicines), I liked the idea of just chucking some extra nutrients in with foods/drinks I consume often.

Do you LIKE Maca?
How do you take it to make it taste tollerable?

Replies

• tannatannabobanna
    tannatannabobanna Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    They sell Maca Powder in Capsules, which is just literally Maca powder capsulized, and most capsules are made from gelatin which is completely harmless and is dissolved by our stomach acids very easily.. hope that helps
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I do like it and used to put it in my smoothies. It came with a tiny little scoop, maybe a 1/4 and that's all I'd use. I liked the taste but I can understand why you don't, it's a little funky. Chuck it?
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to be using very little. An article I read on it said to start out with half a teaspoon and go up to one tablespoon per day maximum - you're not supposed to have too much of it.

I use it on my coffee occasionally when I have my coffee cold (the heat will kill it). I put the coffee in the fridge with ice cubes and in the meantime I blend out half a teaspoon of maca powder with a couple of deciliters of whole milk. When the coffee is cold I blend it in.
    I can only taste the maca very slightly, sometimes not at all without enough milk. One option is using coconut milk, the coconut flavour is very strong and in my experience "kills" the maca taste.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I not long ago made icecream with it and really like it. Traditionally a Japanese thing to do with it.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I out a teaspoon of it in my protein shake. Mixed with chocolate, it tastes ok.