Scale used confused..I'm super confused.

Options
So my scale keeps changing, one minute I'm at 200 next minute I'm at 196, next minute 198.
It finally stuck on 196.8 but I don't trust it, I am not sure exactly what to log in my ticker.

Just to add: I always weight myself before eating, after I use the bathroom.

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Is this like by stepping on and off in the same day/time or from one day to the next?

If it's the same time/day, new scale

From one day to the next I fluctuate like 3-4 lbs sometimes if I'm retaining water. I usually only weigh once a week or weigh every day and take an average.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Stop doing that. Your weight will naturally fluctuate. Weigh yourself one time a day, say in the morning right when you wake up, after you use the bathroom. Some people weigh once a week. But weighing every other minute will mean nothing.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Is this like by stepping on and off in the same day/time or from one day to the next?

From one day to the next I fluctuate like 3-4 lbs sometimes if I'm retaining water. I usually only weigh once a week or weigh every day and take an average.

(I swear I'm not trying to follow all of your posts, but you keep posting literally right before me. Ahahaha.)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Do you literally mean over the course of minutes or do you mean day to day?
  • Maqneta
    Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
    Options

I weigh myself once a week / every 5th day.
    and I first tried weighing myself first thing in the morning and I apparently gained a pound (idk how that's possible seeing as my diet is still the same) then I tried two hours later and I was at 196 then 198 just to verify.
  • Maqneta
    Options

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Oh. Well then yeah, your weight can definately fluctuate that much over the course of 5 days.
  • Maqneta
    Options

Oh. Well then yeah, your weight can definately fluctuate that much over the course of 5 days.

Should I give it a few more days and reweigh and log that weight?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, first thing after a visit to the bathroom. I log every reading; so my weight chart is all over the place, up, down, up and again. But the most noticeable thing about my weight chart is the overwhelming downward trend. And that's all I'm concerned with. Not the daily ups and downs.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

and I first tried weighing myself first thing in the morning and I apparently gained a pound (idk how that's possible seeing as my diet is still the same) then I tried two hours later and I was at 196 then 198 just to verify.
    You didn't gain and lose pounds of fat overnight or two hours later. Your body weight varies a lot due to water changes and other things.

It doesn't matter which values you log. The long term trend is all that matters. Pick a value and log it and move on. Check over your values after a month to make sure they're going in the right direction.
  • Oneironaut
    Oneironaut Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, first thing after a visit to the bathroom. I log every reading; so my weight chart is all over the place, up, down, up and again. But the most noticeable thing about my weight chart is the overwhelming downward trend. And that's all I'm concerned with. Not the daily ups and downs.

This is the way to go about it. Fluctuations are normal; you want to look at the general trend. That's what is important. Also, if you try to weigh yourself at the same time every day (just after waking up and using the bathroom is a common choice) that can reduce fluctuations and give you a more useful number.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options

You didn't gain and lose pounds of fat overnight or two hours later. Your body weight varies a lot due to water changes and other things.

It doesn't matter which values you log. The long term trend is all that matters. Pick a value and log it and move on. Check over your values after a month to make sure they're going in the right direction.

Agree..Don't weigh yourself more than once a week at the same time of day...you can weigh yourself 10x a day and get 10 different weights...our bodies vary naturally throughout the day. you can weight 4lbs more in the evening than in the morning for example.
  • Maqneta
    Options
    Thank you all :)!