Jogging endurance

Options
cali08
cali08 Posts: 12 Member
So here is the short story. I can jog with a 2% incline and do a mile in about 14 minutes with a 180 heart rate. Other days like today for example I did the same settings on the tredmill and I could only get to 1/2 a mile before having to slow down. My heart rate was around 204! This has happened before. I just don't get how some days I can do a mile and others it feels like i am dying, my calves are burning, and my heart rate is that high. Is this normal? Are there any tips I can try to try and improve my distance so it can seem like less effort over time?

Thanks!

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Oddly, the same thing has been happening to me. My pace is pretty steady, but my heart rate is drastically different sometimes from one day to another. I have a theory about this situation being linked to hydration, but I could be wrong and sounding like an idiot right now.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Look into the couch to 5 k program. Hydrate and make sure to stretch after working out.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If your heart rate is getting that high at a modest incline and 14 minute mile my suggestion is to slow down, try walking for a while and gradually introduce short running intervals (keep the pace slow enough that you can speak in complete sentences), as time goes by lengthen the running intervals (while keeping the pace conversational).....you will build up your running endurance, it just may take some time. Be patient, be consistent ie 3 or 4 times per week and you will amaze yourself. (Trust me, been there....done that)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    besides what the others have suggested if you're running on different treadmills that will also make a difference as there can be differences with belts, springiness, etc. when you run on a treadmill you get a certain amount of help since the machine is helping you propel forward. depending on the base of the treadmill you might be getting more or less help
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I find hydration and when I've last eaten make a huge difference. I used to run in the morning before eating anything but I found It was harder to get through the runs, and my legs were tired more quickly. I feel much better on my runs if I've had something to eat, and some water about an hour before I run.