Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

tracking bites

mommysews67
mommysews67 Posts: 60 Member
I try to stick with only eating what I plan but occasionally I want a bite of something else - my husband's dessert etc. Tonight was a great example. We were at a dinner and the salad came w/ part of a sliced strawberry. I could have picked it off, but I like strawberries so I ate it.

Do you track every bite you take (Which I am seriously trying to do because if I do not, I will bite my way to obesity) and if you do how do you track it on MFP?

Replies

• CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    It depends on what I am biting and how many calories I have left for the day. I had a bite of a burger king chicken burger and I actually logged it. Now tonight I have 66 calories remaining and had a tbsp of hubbys ice cream and I wont log it. If it would have put my calories over I likely wouldnt have had the bite. I am very anal about going over. Its so silly of me I know.
  • kpierson1987
    kpierson1987 Posts: 33 Member
    Bump for further replies
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    considering a strawberry only has about 5 calories, no i wouldnt log it. but sometimes i do find myself making odd entries like i ate 0.15 servings of such and such because i try to be as accurate as possible.
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    i guess it depends on how calorie dense the food is. one tablespoon of salsa doesnt matter to me at 5 or 10 calories. a tablespoon of peanutbutter at 100 calories is much different.
  • The other day I took a bite off my hubby's Snickers. I logged it as a fun size bar, even though in reality it was probably way less. Its usually safer to assume more than less. A bite off a salad, though? Search the database for a similar salad and guesstimate the portion if you need to, but honestly if your doing good for the day one bite of a salad won't throw you off.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    yes, i log every bite i eat. i've logged a single strawberry a bunch of times or 1 ounce of milk. when possible, i weigh it. if not possible, i will consider 1 bite an ounce (it's probably smaller, but i stick with an ounce as i'd rather log over than under). mostly i don't casually take a bite of anything that i can't weigh or at least put in a tablespoon. eating casually is what put the weight on me, so i don't want to do that anymore. but that's just me. there is no one right way.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    I agree with the person that said it depends on whether it's calorie dense. If I grab a bunch of grapes and eat them I don't count them sometimes. I'll estimate. If I'm cooking with oil yeah I measure. If I eat some chocolate I pay attention to how much. If I try a spoonful of the horrible chia pudding I made the other day nope didn't bother counting it.

But yeah I pretty much log everything even though it's sometimes estimations.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Agree with calorie density comments. If I am cooking and take a tiny taste for seasoning, that bite is free.

Also, it depends what I do that day. The other day on vacation I did 17,000 steps (and didn't count them as exercise). I didn't log the 2 french fries I stole from my kid, I figured I had earned them somewhere in St. Louis!
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    No, not every bite lick and taste, but when it is not feasible to measure something out, I round up, *just in case*.