logging my brown rice pasta is this correct ?

Options
danaxsa
danaxsa Posts: 17 Member
I recently purchased some brown rice pasta and wanted to log it in to my food diary.. when i scanned my bag of penne pasta it gave me to choose between 2 cups cooked and 1 cup cooked. Im going to have 1/2 cup cooked so when i logged that it in , it gave me 52 calories with 10 grams of carbs. I find this a bit weird that its that low in calories and carbs , how do i know if its correct and how do i log it in ?

Replies

• shands1
    shands1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    get a kitchen scale. measure out pasta when it is dry.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Read the label, it should tell you what the serving size is.

Example: Serving size (1 cup cooked)
    Calories 100

If you are eating 1/2 cup then your total calories should be 50. I find that with rice it gives you a dry serving size but most also will say (3/4 cup cooked) so you have an idea.

But I agree with the other comment, you should be weighing your solids.
    Hope this helps.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What does the package say? 50 calories for 1/2 cup seems very low.
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I agree, measure out a dry portion and cook it. Then measure it again so you know what the dry portion comes out to be, like 1/2 cup dry (56 grams) = 1 cup cooked (or however it works out). Also if possible do the dry measurement in grams on a scale, this is always more accurate then volume.

Just to add, I found the best gluten free pasta, I used to only get the trader joe's rice pasta, but sometimes splurge on this- it is incredible:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00281T42O/ref=twister_B001FAIVU0