Good average pace for morbidly obese?

Options
I got back into running about 3 months ago. I've since lost 53 lbs! :) I was wondering what a decent average pace for me would be. I know it's different for everyone, but I don't know if I'm doing as good as I should be. My first run was 21:30, and my best run, a few days ago, was 16:54 (I know... Sad!) I go around 2 miles at this point, and I am 279 lbs and 5'6". I do run/walk intervals, and I am never gasping for breath. I have not injured myself, and I always make sure to listen to my body. But, sometimes I feel like I could be doing better, however, I don't want to overdo it to the point where I do injure myself. Just want to make sure I'm on the right track and was wondering if anyone had any idea if my pace is ok for my fitness level or horrible. Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Its ok to push yourself but listen to your body. You sound like you're doing it right. Your weight loss is impressive.
  • Kate_Bot
    Kate_Bot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I second PDS.

If you want to get a little faster because you would find that motivating, then you can always look into integrating some speed work every few runs. But, if you're enjoying your runs and are interested in getting faster mostly because you're feeling like you "should" be doing something different, give yourself permission to just let that go.

Your run is your own. Don't compare yourself to others. Just keep at it.

You're doing a great job. Seriously.
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wow, you're doing so well! I would pretty much keep doing what you're doing and take in some of the suggestions if you'd like ???? I am always mindful of my pace, but mainly because I don't want to run out of steam before I'm done. Listening to your body is key IMO.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe how fast you run or walk rather it is less important than the fact you are actually doing it and how long you run or walk. You are doing outstanding.

I would say for increased progress you should consider farther and longer rather than faster.
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That's impressive, you're doing great so far! And it sounds like you're doing it right, listening to your body etc.

When I started off, I could only walk. I would get tired before 3/4ths of a mile sometimes. Eventually built up to being able to do 3 to 5 miles walking. Eventually I got brave enough to try to jog, it felt so good to feel the world whizzing past me for the first time in years (or as fast as it could whizz since I was going at a slow pace compared to others). I learned that wearing shapewear--something that would hold in the jiggle--made me feel much more confident and made it easier to jog. Same for getting a good quality sports bra.

Just listen to your body and make sure you have the right shoes most of all. I tried out some shoes that I loved but they didn't give me support in the right places. When I was walking three miles plus regularly, those shoes ended up giving me stress fractures around the top of my foot. I also ended up with Achilles tendon pain and had to take it easy for a while.
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    AyaRowan, OUCH! And I agree, getting the right shoes for you is key.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    You are kickin' it, girl! Anyone at 279 who can run/walk like that gets a gold star in my book. Honest...I am at 155 and I can't run a mile. I can run maybe a half mile before being winded. You are doing fantastic. Just as you've seen, you'll gradually improve your conditioning and the pace will improve and you'll be able to run more than you walk, if you're not there already. I ran in high school and my best time was a 6:31 mile (I wasn't a distance runner--I ran 400 meters). For medical reasons I can't run like that anymore, so I do all power-walking now. As you continue your journey, you'll find what works best for your fitness program. There's no pressure--just go at your own pace :flowerforyou:
  • blue696
    blue696 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think that you are doing an awesome job! You should keep up what you are doing, and maybe just add a little challenge in there, like pick it up from one spot to another (one telephone pole to another), and then slow it down, or do a final faster paced run/jog to your finishing point.

Keep up the great work!
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You're doing great!! Keep listening to your body and so what you think you can. If you want to get something a bit more structured check out some of Hal Higdon's racing plans for beginners. You don't have to be signed up for a race but they'll help you get more structure to your runs and increase your distance appropriately. If you want to get faster increase your distance, as you do that you'll increase your endurance and thus become faster for shorter distances. Also as you lose weight you'll get faster too. Don't worry about what your pace "should" be compared to others. Just focus on being a little bit better than you were last time. :D
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If your comfortable with what your doing then keep it up. Don't worry about keeping up with what others can do. Just listen to the limits of your own body. If your wanting to move faster because you feel safe to do so, then slowly add some time. Just pay attention to make sure you don't over do it.

I have to say you are doing amazing! Most days it would take me 13 minutes to WALK a mile and I'm no where near being able to run one. I am recovering from a knee injury though so I'm taking it a bit slower. I look at other people posting that they've spent XX minutes running XX miles and I have a split moment of thinking "I should be doing that too. I'm not working as hard as others are." And then I smack myself upside the head because giving in to what I thought I should be doing instead of listening to my body is what caused a 3 month recovery to turn into a 6 month one.

Congrats on how much weight you've lost and how far you've come in your routine.
  • kwatson28
    kwatson28 Posts: 31
    Options
    You're doing wonderfully!! Keep at it! Just pay attention to how you feel. Push it when you feel you can and slow when you must. Don't worry about times! You're already doing way more than a lot of people. Enjoy yourself. On the next run try to drop a couple seconds off. Go a little further. Always push to do your best. Its okay if your best is 20 min one day and 16 the next. The point is, keep going as you are. Don't give up :)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Its ok to push yourself but listen to your body. You sound like you're doing it right. Your weight loss is impressive.

yes. you are doing great. once it starts to get too easy or you feel you aren't sweating enough then push further. just keep doing it and it does get easier. i do about that amount for a mile too. my hips are killing me if i push further but i do it anyways.
  • JonathanLepoff
    JonathanLepoff Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I hope you consulted with your doctor and got advice from him/her.
    A heart rate monitor might be a good investment to use to set your pace
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! Keep up the good work!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    don't worry about your pace…speed comes with the more miles you run.

instead, focus on finishing the distance you want to run at a comfortable pace where running is a pleasure…everything else will fall into place!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    WOW...You are awesome!! Your loss is impressive, and you are obviously doing something right! So, remember that saying "If it ain't broke...don't fix it". Sounds like you know your body and you are making improvements as you go. I am a new runner also, started in April. I know that feeling some days you feel like you can do more. Just push in small increments. If speed is what motivates you, try to go faster each week (not each run), but don't overdo it.

I'm learning that running really is a lifestyle, and that I will improve and try new things in time.

Great work, keep at it!
  • KaraBoo87
    KaraBoo87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I want to thank you all for the positivity and encouragement. I have not been met with so much kindness on these boards before, so I really appreciate it! I will continue to do what I've been doing and try to push myself a little further if I feel able to, and I will rest if I feel like my body needs to! :)
  • katatoniczka
    Options
    Hey that's impressive! At my heaviest I was like 150 pounds I think so not that heavy but when I first tried to get into running, my "routine" was like 3-4 minutes a day so you're doing great :D
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    keep doing what you currently are its great enjoyment is the key.
  • Fluffyndelightful
    Fluffyndelightful Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are out there on the pavement doing walk/run intervals is awesome. I too enjoy what I call "wogging" (walk/jog) . I echo what most have already stated. Don't be so concerned with your pace as this will improve with persistance. Keep fighting the good fight my dear!