Why is losing weight so hard, but putting it on so easy?

Options
I just don't get it - I work so hard to lose those three pounds, and then after Christmas, BOOM, got another 10 to go. With the merry season yet again approaching, how on earth are we meant to control our intake? I mean, who wants to go jogging after their turkey?

Replies

• GrayJohn
    Options
    Go jogging before your x-mas dinner. That's what I plan on doing. I'm over in the U.S all over the holidays so I'm visiting fast food country but I will not fall into the fatty trap again. Exercise and everything in moderation
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Gaining fat is just as difficult. You have to fail at multiple things to gain weight. Fail to track your calorie intake, fail to exercise, fail to head the advise of a thousands of experts and fail to do what it right for you.

I didn't exercise or closely watch my calories on Thanksgiving but I did just before and right after. Lost a pound.
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    dont forget you may weigh heavier that doesnt mean you got fatter..just means you put more food or even liquid in your body. a heavy meal can day a day or so to actually leave your body totally
  • sheaz85
    sheaz85 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When i went to the Dr's 2 weeks ago..he told me, "The human body is not designed to take weight off quickly. It is designed to put it on fast and take it off slowly." When i asked him why, he said, "Think about our ancestors...cave men had to find something to kill, gorge themselves on it, and then live off of that animal until the next one was available, which could have been weeks/months." Don't get discouraged! I feel the same way...everyone wishes it would come off faster..but the slow times...that's why you have our support!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Gaining fat is just as difficult. You have to fail at multiple things to gain weight. Fail to track your calorie intake, fail to exercise, fail to head the advise of a thousands of experts and fail to do what it right for you.

I didn't exercise or closely watch my calories on Thanksgiving but I did just before and right after. Lost a pound.

ditto that.
  • abi_bennett
    abi_bennett Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it's because it's so easy to not watch what you eat, so you can whatever you like and it just piles on... whereas if youre trying to lose weight, youve got to count EVERY SINGLE calorie, and that's why it's so hard, because youre so used to eating whatever you want.

That's my theory anyway :)
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The body is designed to take it off slowly. Also, many times hormones are a factor which we are unaware of so it makes weight gain easier and faster.
  • Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Yup.

I lost a pound as well. I ran 3 miles Thanksgiving day and made sure I over ate on less calorie dense foods. Veggies and lean meat like turkey and ham lol

After losing almost 200lbs I can say its pretty easy to lose weight. If you want too
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Playing devils advocate I will disagree. Putting on weight is no harder than losing weight. My reasons are this, when you overeat you are in pain. Your tummy hurts and you get lethargic. Notice the "Leth" in lethargic. Much like lethal. Then the consequences are painful. Its hard to tie you shoes, the belt is tight, the shirts shrink in the dryer, and it's harder to get out of bed and out of your car. If you're like me you barely fit in the car (at one time).

Its a pure joy to put on a pair of jeans that are baggy, a tee-shirt that hangs loose, and a belt that needs tightened.
  • brekkyjuice
    Options
    Thank you, that's encouraging :) and something to think about