Importance of Egg Yolks

Options
Hey Everyone!
I find so many people toss out the egg yolks in fear of the cholestrol content. To me, the benefits outweigh the costs. The yolk also contains choline which is found in fairly high abundance in the egg. It is linked to brain function and helps ward off related diseases. Personally, I will take that over the cholestrol scare, and to me it is a waste for those who throw it out. Just my thoughts :) Feel free to agree or fight back!!!
Lisa

Replies

• chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I agree!!! Keep the yolk of at least one egg and use the whites for the rest of the omelet. You need fat to lose fat people!
  • Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!
    I find so many people toss out the egg yolks in fear of the cholestrol content. To me, the benefits outweigh the costs. The yolk also contains choline which is found in fairly high abundance in the egg. It is linked to brain function and helps ward off related diseases. Personally, I will take that over the cholestrol scare, and to me it is a waste for those who throw it out. Just my thoughts :) Feel free to agree or fight back!!!
    Lisa

No correlation from dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol. I eat 6-8 eggs a day. Yolks and all. My cholesterol went down.

Exercise has more to do with blood cholesterol than diet.
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying my eggs over easy as I type this. Perfectly delicious yolk on my wheat toast. :) I refuse to limit myself to egg whites!
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Totally. I love them over easy.
  • bkmush
    bkmush Posts: 27
    Options
    Totally agree! The cholesterol in foods we eat is not the cause of high cholesterol in our bodies, it's much more important to watch the weight, saturated and trans fats. When I eat a few eggs for breakfast or lunch I stay satisfied so much longer! This am. I was in a hurry and didn't grab my eggs - big mistake because just my toast and pb means I was feeling pretty hungry half way through Church service!
  • bushman124
    bushman124 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love my egg over easy also but in my salads I don't miss the yolk and just eat the egg whites--works for me! :smile:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol may not have much, if any, impact on blood cholesterol for healthy people, but those with high cholesterol do need to watch their intake of cholesterol ridden foods. Cholesterol found in foods doesn't simply pass through our digestive systems, it gets absorbed into the blood just like sugar, sodium, etc. Whether or not it sticks has to do with saturated fats and trans fats and the amount of cholesterol already lining our blood vessels.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I eat the egg yolks. I like mine either boiled or over medium. Good to know about the benefits of the yolk. Thanks.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 579 Member
    Options

No correlation from dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol. I eat 6-8 eggs a day. Yolks and all. My cholesterol went down.

Exercise has more to do with blood cholesterol than diet.

Congratulations on all your weight loss.
  • Dellie22
    Dellie22 Posts: 167
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but eggs without the yolk are disgusting anyway!!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol may not have much, if any, impact on blood cholesterol for healthy people, but those with high cholesterol do need to watch their intake of cholesterol ridden foods. Cholesterol found in foods doesn't simply pass through our digestive systems, it gets absorbed into the blood just like sugar, sodium, etc. Whether or not it sticks has to do with saturated fats and trans fats and the amount of cholesterol already lining our blood vessels.

Which is why I don't eat the yolks very often.

I enjoy them every now and then, but since I don't have the best cholesterol amount...and my family has a bad history of cholesterol problems...and since my doctor told me to...I treat eggs the same way I treat whole milk cheese: as a treat.
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    For me it's not about the cholesterol, it's about the concentration of fat and what I could have instead.

3 egg yolks have the same fat content as a typical 8oz steak!

Eggs are nice and all but I'd rather have the steak any day!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    WHEN YOUR FAT LIKE ME I SHOULD TREAT ALL FOOD AS A LITTEL TREAT:laugh:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    For me it's not about the cholesterol, it's about the concentration of fat and what I could have instead.

Yeah, that's true, and since the white only has 15 calories as opposed to about 75 for the whole egg, you can have more whites than yolks anyway. And if you have some recipes worth keeping, you can make egg white omelets to die for, and they can be packed with more ingredients like chicken breast pieces, low fat cheese, veggies, etc. without killing your calorie total at the breakfast table.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I've tried to eat eggs without the yolks before. They are really lacking for flavor. No history of high colesteral in my family, so i eat all of the "bad stuff", eggs, bacon, butter, ect. Food is only a partial contributor to high colesteral.
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's true, and since the white only has 15 calories as opposed to about 75 for the whole egg, you can have more whites than yolks anyway. And if you have some recipes worth keeping, you can make egg white omelets to die for, and they can be packed with more ingredients like chicken breast pieces, low fat cheese, veggies, etc. without killing your calorie total at the breakfast table.

Very true... It's very difficult to make a tasty egg white omelet without cheese... I am going without dairy at the moment, I can't wait until I can have lowfat cheese again!
  • lordofultima
    Options
    I hate eggs! Problem solved.
  • kmard81
    kmard81 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    WHEN YOUR FAT LIKE ME I SHOULD TREAT ALL FOOD AS A LITTEL TREAT:laugh:

LOL! Its nice when you can laugh at yourself! I like that :smile: