Sugar Intake

Options
On my food diary, it allows me only 28 g of sugar a day. Dang! I ate most of that during breakfast from a healthy bowl of Kashi cereal, light soy milk, and 1/2 a grapefruit! I am watching what I eat and I tend to stay under my calories each day (on a non-holiday..) but I don't see how I am going to stay under my sugar intake each day. If I go over on this category each day, will that screw me up? Help, help!

Replies

• ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I would go over every day. I eventually just got rid of seeing my sugar intake. It always went over from fruit. I really don't care anymore about it.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I've upped my sugar to 35g a day because I couldn't stand seeing that red number even though I get sugar from natural sources. It hasn't slowed my loss down at all, in fact I've seen more weight loss in the last two months than I ever have, EVER. Of course, this is just me ;-)
  • CR1041
    Options
    Well from what I understand the sugar requirements are for added processed sugars (ie: candy, table sugar), not those naturally occurring. My Dietician has always told me not to worry much about fruit sugars and other sugars that occur naturally in healthy foods as they are processed and utilized differently by our bodies.
  • nellajane24
    nellajane24 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    okay thanks! i think i'll just take it off my diary settings, or i will freak out daily :ohwell:
  • iampam654
    Options
    I have the same problem, I go over my sugar intake EVERYDAY! And for the same reasons, eating fruit and healthy foods so I guess what you can do is take the number and keep a mental note on how much unhealthy sugars you are consuming. That way you don't have to see the red numbers and you'll know how much unhealthy sugars you are really consuming.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It's relly tough to monitor sugar. Of course, as many of you stated sugar does come naturally in some items like fruit and milk. However, most foods anywhere from salad dressing to breakfast cereal have sugar added in ridiculous amounts. It's quite shocking. It's no wonder the world is getting heavier...

Shannon
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a whole lot of "things" with sugar I guess coz looking back through my food diaries I am always under >_<
  • seyserf
    Options
    I'd think that a higher protein breakfast, like eggs instead of cereal, would probably help cut down on the sugar content and be better for insulin regulation.
  • niksta24
    Options
    I noticed this today too =( For breakfast I had cornflakes with a bannana and my sugar is already over! I think it does affect it as sugar turns into fat. So try and limit your fruit intake and for breakfast eat weet bix - low in sugar and high in iron =)