Thoughts on Herbalife as a nutrition booster?

Options
2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    $200 a month on supps?

Wow.

So yeah, try the Herbalife, report back and let us know how it goes. You're going to anyway.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    As a nutrition "booster"? Well, since most packaged supplemental product are manufactured by a 3rd party and they don't usually use the best high quality ingredients (it's rare that any distributor will tout the purity of the raw materials and have evidence for it when used for manufacturing), you're much better off eating food and just supplementing with a generic brand of vitamin/mineral for much less money.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I tend to find the generic brands low quality and any kind of multi-vitamin leaves me feeling lethargic. The supplements I buy now average about $20 each for 1 months supply, and on top of that the protein shakes (high quality, all organic, gluten, dairy, wheat free etc) are around $70 for 1 months supply - so in total I'm already spending around $150-$200 a month on extra supplements, vitamins and herbal teas. Considering this, why not try Herbalife for a month at the heavily discounted price I'm being offered? From what I've read and heard the company makes good quality products that work, although it can be a little over priced at full price.
    Hate to tell you that if you're spending that much in supplements, you're either wasting your money, or you're eating really nutrient difficient food.
    Again, there are only about 5 manufacturers of supplements in the US. The only exceptional company I know that uses great RAW material is Optimum Nutrition. Other manufacturers get their raw materials from China (which has no regulation for the purity that they package for raw materials) which is why 7 out of 10 supplement products tested usually have unwanted trace elements.
    You're probably getting the "placebo" effect from spending all that money (trust me at one time I spent about $250 in supplements a month till I researched more) and SHOULD spend the money on more nutritious food.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KeshiaBeard
    Options
    Just to clarify, I don't spend $200 on only supplements. This budget includes:

- protein powder (no matter how many high protein foods I try to include in my diet, MFP always tells me that I'm too low, hence why every couple of days I will have a shake on top of what I eat daily)
    - vitamins taken on Dr's orders (I have a B12 deficiency and don't absorb it very well)
    - herbal teas (various imported good quality teas I buy that use herbs I cannot grow myself)
    - wild caught fish oil (I've already been through why I don't eat store bought fish)

Despite this effort, according to MFP and quarterly blood tests I don't get enough of all nutrients and minerals required from my diet alone. Maybe I don't eat enough variety, or I slip up and don't eat enough raw foods for a week or so, or I'm just stupid and don't know what I need to be eating. I'm only going off what I know and doing my best.