Started counting, losing weight but my running now sucks

Options
So I'm coming to the end of a half marathon training programme (I'm doing a tough mudder on the 17th August). It was going really well and a couple of weeks ago my long run was 9 miles which I finished tired but not absolutely dead either. That was running 5 times a week, I was doing about 32km a week (although increasing by about 3km per week?) and it was going really well.

Then just over a week ago I started counting calories as I have 10 pounds I'd like to lose (which I gained after a break up last year). I don't really know how much I should be eating as I'm extremely active but some of it is hard to track. I do on average 18,000 steps a day not including my runs, but during this time I'm mucking out horses, pushing heavy wheelbarrows, carrying buckets of water ect. I also ride 4 or 5 horses a day 5 times a week and 2 at weekends - averaging 2.5-3 hours a day in the saddle. I also do 1.5 hours of pole dancing and about 2 hours of aerial silks a week. I'm 5 foot 8, 22, female and 150 pounds. I've lost 2 pounds this week so wondering if I'm not eating enough, as that's too fast for me to be losing at this weight and perhaps that's why I'm now struggling with my runs?

I eat probably 90% healthy, lots of varied fruit and veg, lots of protein and wholegrain carbs. I always have some chocolate or ice cream or something a day. I've been eating 2500 calories on weekdays and 3000 on weekends (although this Sunday I probably had about 4000 due to an occasion thing).

Should I up my calories and see what happens? I'm not trying to run too fast or anything and I'm generally very determined and stubborn and am good at just keeping going but in 3 out of the last 4 runs I've had to stop earlier than intended and on the one where I completed, it was meant to be a progression run but halfway I hAd to settle for a slow pace or I couldn't of kept going.

Thoughts?

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Go to the Scooby calculator and figure out your TDEE. Right now you don't want to be at too big a deficit if you are training for a half-marathon and you don't have much to lose. I'd go for TDEE-10% as that should be enough food but still allow you to lose weight.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Ahrena
    Ahrena Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    But see that's my issue, I have no idea what to put as my activity level? I'm on my feet and physically active all day but apart from the running, silks and pole I wouldn't generally say it was particularly strenthious?

That says to eat 2600. I'm absolutely not fussed about
    Losing slowly, it's better like that (and to be fair I'm pretty much eating exactly what I want anyway)
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of training, IMO put your activity as the one just below the most active (to include your marathon training)
    from the info you've provided, and especially based on the fact that you're struggling with your runs now, I would assume you're not getting near enough fuel, so try to create a smaller deficit instead of adjusting your running.
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    But see that's my issue, I have no idea what to put as my activity level? I'm on my feet and physically active all day but apart from the running, silks and pole I wouldn't generally say it was particularly strenthious?

That says to eat 2600. I'm absolutely not fussed about
    Losing slowly, it's better like that (and to be fair I'm pretty much eating exactly what I want anyway)

You can costimize, just pick one and see what happens (try it out for around 2weeks and see what happens). Try to aim to lose a steady 1-2lbs a week, if you lose more up your cals a little. If you don't lose weight within two weeks lower your cals.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of bad *kitten* activity and food. Wish I was you!! :)
  • Ahrena
    Ahrena Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) I def don't want to reduce my exercise - I do it all because well the horses and work with them is my life, I absolutely love pole and silks, and I started running when I entered the race only to discover I love that too, it makes me feel awesome and I really miss it on my days off!

I'll add 250 calories a day I think and see what happens. I don't really want to faff about adjusting it according to exercise every day if I can avoid it.

Thanks! It just seems bizarre to be eating 2750-3250 to lose! (I gained my weight through binge eating btw rather than eating too much in general)
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Eat more, lose more - really does apply to a hell of a lot of people, especially when doing a high amount of activity like yourself - kudos btw. I'm quite jealous of your activity level, it's wonderful you have so many demanding things going on that you really enjoy! Good luck in your journey x