Day Off Confusion, Please Help

Options
How important is it to take a day off? I was having issues really working out hard and pushing myself to do any cardio because of my health problems (ovarian cysts and wrist issues). Both were resolved in the past month and for the past 6 days I have been pushing HARD with my cardio (between 35-75 minutes a day of intense P90X or elliptical training). I'm not following any set program just trying to get my cardio back up and shed some fat/pudge/belly/tone up. Today would be day 7 of the madness and I know for sure that I will be right back on it tomorrow and Tuesday because I weigh in on Wednesday. Not to mention its in my military schedule. So should I:
A: Take today off, relax, chase your 15 month old around at the indoor playground
B. Do 15-20 minutes of interval training burn around 200 calories, then be done
C: Get your butt in gear and get those 30-60 minutes in!

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It's important to take 1 day off a week. Your body AND brain need time to relax and reset, otherwise you risk running yourself into the ground. You could try not tracking your calories one day, or having a "cheat day/night/etc" or just going for a leisurely walk instead of working out.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Take the day off, I've been doing 40-45 minutes a day of cardio this week and I know I need the break--so I'm sure you do too!
  • Jamie_here
    Options
    I think mentally you need a day off every once in a while. Take your child for a walk, take them to the park, enjoy your day and don't think about working out. Your body needs to recuperate. Tomorrow you can go right back at it!!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My vote is for A - take the day off and spend the time with your child. That can be a workout in itself:smile: Then start again tomorrow.
  • mamaisis09
    Options
    Ok, so I'm leaning towards A.... now just need to stay under 1200 calories... I kinda had a LARGE breakfast (nearly 500 cal). Now apple chips for snack (150 cal). I'm trying to see how much I can eat for the rest of the day without going over.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I take 2 days off from both exercise and calorie restrictions. It's been working great for me, I've been losing a little over 1 pound per week.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Take the day off. Also, remember - your 1200 is a deficit, so if on your rest day or day off you go over, it really is OK. You have somewhere between 200 and 500 cals you can go over and still be below maintenance level. So don't fret about it or think it will make you gain weight by going over 1200.

Also, be sure to take rest WEEKS every so often - not off weeks, but slow things down for a week and do some easier cardio or yoga. Especially if you are doing hard P90x exercises. You won't reap the results if you are always breaking down your muscles.

If you feel like you MUST do something today - do P90X Stretch. It feels so good and still feels like a little exercise - plus it will help the rest of your week's workouts!