Lower back pain

AmyShip
AmyShip Posts: 24
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I recently lost 40 lbs. I started working out six months ago and have never had problems with my back. In the past couple months i have started having severe back pain in my lower back. Anyone have this problem after starting to workout?. I have a doctor appt next wk but was just curious what it could be. Thanks!

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    I did years ago, physio said it was incorrect use of rowing machine and some of the exercises I was doing. Sit ups with legs straight etc
  • goingwithgrace
    goingwithgrace Posts: 109 Member
    I would recommend a chiropractor over a doctor.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Definitely hit the chiropractor. A doctor will only give you pain killers at best. Chiropractor will solve the problem.
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member

Me too.

Also, make sure you are strengthening and stretching your core muscles, as these are directly related to lower back pain. My chiropractor told me to start doing yoga and pilates to help with my chronic low back pain. If you are working out at a gym, have a buddy or trainer check your alignment.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Get a referral for physical therapy from your doctor. You'll learn what you're doing that is causing the pain and how to fix it, and will get exercises to help strengthen weak muscles. And if you're really lucky you'll get an ultrasound massage!
  • baker_c
    baker_c Posts: 251 Member
    Work on strengthening your core. Lots of lower back issues are doe to weak core muscles
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Try a chiropractor. I also found I had lost so much weight in my butt I was sitting on my sciatic nerve when I tried to do some of the exercises. Be sure to work your coreexercises first to strenghten your core and adjust some of your positions of your exercising.:bigsmile:
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    I'm voting for chiropractor as well.
    In 2004 I twisted my back wrong and 2 vertebrae in my lower back misaligned. I sought out a chiro over a medical doctor. Best decision ever! The chiro was amazing and explained alignment, muscles, nerve endings .. Great experience .. but you have to shop around to find one that suits you. They use different methods.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    This actually seems to be a problem among many board members. It took me months to get over this. I think working the torso did a bunch to cure that. Just 3 or 4 weeks ago I hiked the first time without my back freezing up on me. It was beautiful!

One thing I quit doing was an exercise called the back extension. I'm just not sure about that exercise.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Work on strengthening your core. Lots of lower back issues are doe to weak core muscles

I got rid of chronic back pains that way!
    I got a reminder how it felt this summer when we had some korean exercise nazis for instructors for a couple of weeks (I loved it! :laugh: ) The first time they were there, some of the moves, that we did for the 45 minute warm up, totally tired my lower back out and I had to leave all exercise for a couple of days.
    After that, no problem! :drinker:

Work your core people!!!!
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Had physio for shoulder pain that made no difference. A couple of good sports massages fixed me up.
  • Thank you everyone!. A friend who is a personal trainer said self massage with a foam roller will help a lot!. Anyone ever heard of this?
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member

forever and ever AMEN!
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Never heard of that. Might alleviate the symptoms but I doubt it would fix the underlying cause. My massage therapist recommended a hot water bottle on my shoulder to improve mobility and reduce pain, might work for you. With back pain I think you're best to get some kind of professional check you out.
  • Thanks! Hopefully the doctor can tell me whats going on :)
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Yes, I have heard of it. My boot camp trainer would have us roll on the foam roller before and after exercises. It helps break down the scar tissue and loosen up the knots in your muscles. About 5 mins on the roller and it feels like heaven! Your spine also tends to realign itself also when you roll out your whole back.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Yes foam rollers help with muscular pain but if it is something joint or bone related then chiro is the go still.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    I get a lot of tension in my lower back - always have. I saw a chiropractor for 10 years, two times a week until I learned that stretching was the solution for me. Yoga once a week plus regular stretching of my lower back has done wonders for my pain.

My favourite stretch for the lower back: sit cross-legged on the floor with your ankles under your knees (so there is a gap between your lower legs and pelvis about the size of two fists). Hinge forward from the hips and work your forehead down towards the floor. If this is easy (or just to change the stretch), take the stretch over to the side and try to lie your chest flat on your leg. Switch the crossing of your legs to evenly stretch both sides. For me, this stretches my lower back, glutes, and hips and is oh-so-relieving!

Otherwise, yoga! I find the various triangle poses great for stretching my lower back.
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Well, starting Tuesday I will be in my first Yoga class. It's for older people so I think I will fit in just well with them. My back is feeling much better after a few days of walking. It's not so bad but it's still there now. :)
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    One thing to consider is that a lot of lower back pain is the result of the psoas muscles going into spasm and then pulling your lower spine out of alignment. The psoas muscles connect lower vertebra to the bones in your hip and pelvis. I've found that doing specific psoas stretches which create more opening in my hips, massage, and chiropractic work to be the best solution.

Most medical doctors simply prescribe anti-inflams and muscle relaxers which won't necessarily fix the problem, but will mask the pain.

The foam rollers are very good as well, though they're tough to use on the lower back.
This discussion has been closed.