Getting back into running -- where to start?

Options
I have an app very similar to the Couch to 5k program, but it starts off so slow I don't think I'll feel like I'm working very hard. Are there other ways to get back into running if you're okay at it and you've done it before? What other programs can I follow?

Replies

• kateowp
    kateowp Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I like to interval run. Typically if it has been more than a month from not running I will start with run 3 minutes, walk 2 minutes (repeat for however long). When my run is over I evaluate how I did and decide what tomorrow's interval will be- more/less walking in the intervals or more/less running in the intervals.
  • Margie2210
    Margie2210 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yep - I am basically doing the same thing that kateowp is talking abut. I am calling it a "modified C25k" program, but am making it up as I go based on what I remember from C25k. I know this post is old, but if any one wants to check out my workouts, I am writing them out at MerryMargaretMoves.wordpress.com
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I would advise sticking with your app. When you start running, your body has to do two things: (1) Strengthen your cardiovascular system, so that your heart, lungs, and arteries get more oxygen to your running muscles. (2) Strengthen the muscles, bones, tendons, and ligaments that are used in running, because running puts a lot more stress on them than walking does.

Often people want to go faster than the C25K program (or something similar) because they adapt to #1 pretty quickly. But #2 often goes slower, resulting in overuse injuries for those people.

By taking it slowly, you reduce the risk of injury. I think it's worth it; remember, it's only a few weeks in what should be a lifetime of running. Back in spring 2014 I overdid things, injured my knee, and had to take two months off of running, then start over from day 1.