Prepared to start a all important journey

Options
Hey everyone! I just joined this afternoon because I decided that I dont like the way I feel. I am currently about 100 pounds overweight and wanting to do something that I never thought I would be able to do. RUN A HALF MARATHON (and lose weight in the process). I am looking for friends to join me on this journey and give me tips on how to be more sucessful. I cant wait until the end of my journey when I can look back at this and say that I want to run turns into I am a runner!
Good luck everyone!

""The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP!! Start by tracking everything you eat, and doing some kind of exercise or activity that you enjoy, even if it is just for ten minutes a day. Everything else will fall in to place.
    :flowerforyou: Remember to enjoy your Journey!!
  • callgail
    Options
    An item on my bucket list is to be able to run again. That would feel so free. I am getting over bursitus in my hip and doing knee excersizes so they don't hurt. Muscles are not very good. Once I get them better I can get on the treadmill start toward my goal weigh 213 and really should be 135-145 so I will take it one week at a time. If I keep healthy eating in the front of my mind instead of shoving it to the back of my mind every weekend I will succeed. I am looking for lots of friends to help me with support and to get support from me.
  • Vicky_sp
    Vicky_sp Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i've just joined today aswell.
    my weight has been increasing gradually over the last few years and i feel i need to do something about it as ive began to feel insecure about it and would love the confidence back.
    I have a friend that competes in triatholons and have always thought that i will never beable to do one so i entered one today as my own personal challenge, It's in May so i have plenty of time to train and gives me a goal to focus on.
    Good luck with the half marathon i'm sure having a goal to work towards will help you achieve this.
  • CocoFire
    CocoFire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What an awesome goal! When I started 6 months ago one of my goals was to ride a bike again. Within a month I was able to pedal through an hour spin class. I've been thinking about setting new goals for myself, and I think you may have just inspired me! I recently started jogging/walking intervals on the treadmill. I never thought I'd be running...

Welcome!
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP! I feel just like you in that I want to be able to do a triathlon. I did short course ones a few years back and had twins in between so fitness has taken a back seat. Now they're a little older, I want to be able to balance my priorities! I need to be able to run after them soon! I just sent you a friend request, hopefully we can motivate each other to our goals! :)
  • iambayd
    iambayd Posts: 235
    Options
    Such a great goal! This site is so amazing, and the people are helpful and friendly. Welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    welcome and good luck with your goal...i completed the disney 1/2 marathon this past january and can absolutely say it was one of my greatest accomplishments (kids are the greatest of course ;) PS i was 224lbs when i did my race...you can do anything at any weight as long as you train and take care of yourself....

best way to start is to get moving...start walking and building up your endurance/distance/speed...then find a great training guide and increase your running while decreasing your walking.....

feel free to friend me if you want...
  • dustiemorris
    Options
    Hi my name is Dustie and Im a single mom and in a tough spot right now. I have been really big all my life and people in my family always said it was bcuz I was big boned, but I dont believe in that. I'm tired of laying in bed and dreaming about how my life would be or how I would look if I was smaller. I have a natural hate for skinny people for some dumb reason. I'm only 24 and I have missed out on so much life. I'm tired of being the "big one" in the family. I cant say I want my life back bcuz I never had one to began with. I have a treadclimber but I cant walk on it for more than 2 mins. I need some support and thats why I'm here. Plz help me!
  • Chyrita
    Chyrita Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Welcome..
    I started last week and I already feel better. I'm making better food choices. I haven't quite incorporated exercise yet, but have a plan to do so. You will really like this site. The support and encouragement is great.
  • dustiemorris
    Options
    I am 200 pounds over weight and we can do this together. I have to bcuz I have an enlarged heart bcuz of my fat and I just have a feeling my ticker isnt going to keep ticking . We are going to do this to live.
  • dk82
    dk82 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! This site is great! With the help on this website I have lost 25lbs ‎so far and kept it off. 25lbs is not a lot but I had a very hard time getting rid of it and not gaining back before ‎joining this site. I still have 35-40lbs to lose to be at a healthy weight. It is ‎very hard work and sometimes when the scale isn't moving like you want it ‎can be very disappointing but remember you are becoming healthier. It ‎takes time!!! The people on here are great, if you are ever feeling down or ‎unmotivated just say so and you will get some encouraging words to help ‎you though your "slum".‎

Good luck with your goals everyone!!!‎

Feel free to add me.‎