Eat Back Calories

Options
Hey,

Was wondering some views on eating back calories. I aim for 1750 calories per day (which is a 500 calorie defect of maintenance). I work out for 3 days, take 1 day rest then reset. I don't eat back my calories on workouts as i look at this as a 'buffer' for any underestimations.

I only do weights (no cardio) so i don't feel it was so intensive that i would be massively under per day. Am i causing more damage by not eating back calories or am i good to carry on? Im pretty happy with 1750 and reach my goals. Adding more calories would be eating more food for the sake of reaching the goal.

First thing i do when i wake up is workout, so only thing in my system at the start of the day when i do the workout is a black coffee and protein shake. Current goal is to burn body fat, not looking to gain muscle, but try and maintain what i can. When i reduce my BF i will increase my calories for muscle building.. just worried right now i could be pushing it too far, and heard this can cause a plateau?

Any thoughts?

Replies

• freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    U will get so many diffent answers to this but in my honest opinion I think u will be fine doing what you are doing as eating for the sake of it is how most of us fatties got here in the first place the whole point of kcal counting is to be a concious eater enjoy food but listen to your body when it says enough

Most people with exercise kcals aim to only eat about half back at the most as you can never be 100% accurate when u log food and exerise and also mfp can have a tendency to exaggerate kcals burnt personally listen to yourself listen to your body as long as you are losing the weight there is no problem with what you are doing and remember this a plateau isnt a day or two of the scale stalling it is a good couple of months and if that happens you reassess are your goals set correctly are you logging correctly etc and only then do u need to consider eating back kcals but honestly until that happens its nothing to worry about
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of it at all. Tried it last year and didn't get nearly as lean as I am now. Counterproductive IMO and I prefer to use TDEE in the first place.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You're set to lose 1 lb per week.
    Are you losing 1 lb per week?
    This is the key question.
    Yes exercise calories should be accounted for either with the TDEE method or the MFP eat back exercise calories method but if you are losing at a sensible and sustainable rate (which you have chosen) then you are doing it right, whether by design or happy accident.
    If you are losing too fast then raise your goal or eat back your exercise calories.
  • Jason7Scott
    Options
    I gained in the last week, but think a part of that was being a bit too comfortable with tracking, however i did always stick to 1750 (pretty much).. i actually gained weight and my BF% increased, really really not sure how if i am under 1750. Weight/measurements same day, same time every week, so either i massively over estimated or i am using a dodgy calculator thats not given me consistent calculations.

Anyone use BF% calculators that have worked for them?

Only think i can think of it being is (1) not tracking correctly, since Monday I've tracked every gram of every item consumed. (2) tracking inconsistently.

Oh well, hopefully see an improvement Monday :D
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    What are you using to measure your BF% and how much did it increase from last week?
  • NJamison69
    NJamison69 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, OP for starting this thread!!
    I've always wondered about the 'eating back your calories' and if that actually works. I'm 44 years old and have been battling my weight (obesity) for over 3 decades. Apparently, according to the MFP calculator, I am supposed to be eating a net caloric base of 1200 per day but I workout and burn a minimum of 1600 calories per day. Here's my problem. I've always been told that in order to lose weight, "you take in fewer calories than you burn off". So, if you're putting back the calories that you just worked off, how do you lose weight? Also, I'm post-diabetic (don't have symptoms anymore) but I want to keep my blood sugar stable. I've gone from eating over 3000+ calories per day to nearly always under 1000. I don't feel bad, I don't get light-headed, I don't get hunger pains but I am losing weight rapidly due to all of the activity I've adopted. So, should I still eat only up to 1000 or should I bump it up to 1200 and just see what happens? :ohwell:
  • NJamison69
    Options
    Yes exercise calories should be accounted for either with the TDEE method or the MFP eat back exercise calories method but if you are losing at a sensible and sustainable rate (which you have chosen) then you are doing it right, whether by design or happy accident.
    If you are losing too fast then raise your goal or eat back your exercise calories.

Can someone tell me what TDEE is and what it's used for?
  • NJamison69
    Options

Okay, nevermind. I found it (TDEE and BMR) and when I calculated my info, I strongly disagree. But, we'll see what happens.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, OP for starting this thread!!
    I've always wondered about the 'eating back your calories' and if that actually works. I'm 44 years old and have been battling my weight (obesity) for over 3 decades. Apparently, according to the MFP calculator, I am supposed to be eating a net caloric base of 1200 per day but I workout and burn a minimum of 1600 calories per day. Here's my problem. I've always been told that in order to lose weight, "you take in fewer calories than you burn off". So, if you're putting back the calories that you just worked off, how do you lose weight? Also, I'm post-diabetic (don't have symptoms anymore) but I want to keep my blood sugar stable. I've gone from eating over 3000+ calories per day to nearly always under 1000. I don't feel bad, I don't get light-headed, I don't get hunger pains but I am losing weight rapidly due to all of the activity I've adopted. So, should I still eat only up to 1000 or should I bump it up to 1200 and just see what happens? :ohwell:

You are eating to little and do not understand. MFP calculates your caloric goal with the deficit built in already. That is why they say to eat back your exercise calories. If you don't, then you are creating an even higher deficit and will lose more weight. Not always bad, but one should never try to lose more than 1% of their weight per week.

Read the link below. This will have most of your answers as well as links to other answers.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Okay, nevermind. I found it (TDEE and BMR) and when I calculated my info, I strongly disagree. But, we'll see what happens.

The calculators are not 100%. They are based on the average person. You will have to make adjustments over time to find your exact number. If you are not losing or gaining, then you are eating at maintenance. If you are losing then you are eating below your TDEE. If you are gaining you are eating above TDEE. Make 100 calorie adjustments either direction to see if it changes.

It works for a lot of people if they have the patience to accurately track and make the adjustments as needed.
  • NJamison69
    Options
    @ksy1969:

Thank you for the info!! I've decided to see what happens when I attempt to consume 1200 calories per day. I had a HUGE lunch today about 30 mins after my workout (I was legitimately hungry) and ate until I was full. Quite nice, actually. This large meal just means I'll have to wait longer to do the big workout later. I'm also going to be watching the 'net' calories. Having diabetic tendencies (I am off of my meds and no longer have high A1c reports and no symptoms) I have to keep a good balance in my diet and I've seemed to achieve that. Thank you again for your advice. Good deal!! :happy: