Margaritas that you can guiltlessly drink!

jmo325
jmo325 Posts: 57
edited September 22 in Recipes
So I've been experimenting trying to find sweet and sour mix that doesn't cost a fortune and is pretty good for you. I finally perfected my homemade one. So here's the recipe is anyone else is a margarita lover like me.

9 cups of water
1 cup of Organic Blue Agave Nectar
1 cup lemon juice
1 cup lime juice.

Not only is it delicious, but it's only ~90 calories for 5 oz! Add in 1 oz tequila(silver for less refined sugar) and a little lime squeeze, and it makes margaritas that are only about 160 calories each! As opposed to the normal ones in restaurants which are about 500.

Enjoy!

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    bumpity bump...thank you!
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Just curious... have you tried Stevia as a noncalorie sweetener substitute? Not sure if it would work... but it would definitely cut out calories.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    How are the sodium levels? That was what killed me with the mixes I used!
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    I'll have to try this.
  • FeistyKitty808
    FeistyKitty808 Posts: 53 Member
    Mega Bump! Love my margaritas, will have to give this a shot!
  • jmo325
    How are the sodium levels? That was what killed me with the mixes I used!

MFP says there's no sodium in the Nectar but i don't have a bottle on hand to verify.

Other than that, it's just the sodium that in the tap water used. which makes about 2 sodium whatevers per serving.
  • jmo325
    Just curious... have you tried Stevia as a noncalorie sweetener substitute? Not sure if it would work... but it would definitely cut out calories.

I prefer to avoid sweetener substitutes as much as possible. and I generally work out every day so I've got calories to be consumed so i don't mind having. Plus i like organic products. :)
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,559 Member
    Big Bump!! Love Margaritas!
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    FYI: Stevia is 100% organic. It is a plant that produces a 0 calorie sweet tasting leaf.
  • awesome! I love me a margarita! And I'm glad it's with agave!

bump-a-lump!
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Mmmmmmm....LOVE Margaritas!
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    So I've been experimenting trying to find sweet and sour mix that doesn't cost a fortune and is pretty good for you. I finally perfected my homemade one. So here's the recipe is anyone else is a margarita lover like me.

9 cups of water
    1 cup of Organic Blue Agave Nectar
    1 cup lemon juice
    1 cup lime juice.

Not only is it delicious, but it's only ~90 calories for 5 oz! Add in 1 oz tequila(silver for less refined sugar) and a little lime squeeze, and it makes margaritas that are only about 160 calories each! As opposed to the normal ones in restaurants which are about 500.

Enjoy!

Oh Man, Thank You...Gonna have to try this one, I love me some margaritas..especially this time of year!
This discussion has been closed.