Crossfit?

Options
bregrig
bregrig Posts: 154 Member
So I am starting CrossFit next week and was just wondering if any of you guys are 'CrossFitters' and what I should expect, what gains did you get from it, did you have a lot of injuries, etc. Thanks :)

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Not done it personally, but fair warning:

these threads can attract a certain amount of heat from advocates and haters alike and generally tailspin into personal attacks and gif posting.

I hope this one turns and differently and you get the info you need!
  • tannatannabobanna
    tannatannabobanna Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    yeah this thread is gonna get nasty.....but no, my suggestion save your joints, lift weights with proper form, and be instructed by an actual(__underline___) certified personal trainer..
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    yeah this thread is gonna get nasty.....but no, my suggestion save your joints, lift weights with proper form, and be instructed by an actual(__underline___) certified personal trainer..

Well, some CF boxes are run by quality CPTs and some standard gyms and spas have sub-standard CPTs who don't have the first clue about how to lift.

Blanket statements dude. They're almost never true...
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    Play it safe, prevent injury. Warm up well. Watch your form. Don't rush yourself, take your time. Don't let other people rush you. Don't get sucked into competing against anyone but yourself. Cool down well. You WILL improve, be patient. It's not going to happen overnight.
    This is not a training for a physique or bikini competition. EAT and feed your body well. It will need all it can get. (If you are on a weight loss mission, this might set you back a bit. Rethink your nutrition and time your food intake according to your training needs. Eat what you feel your body and mind are comfortable with, and don't let yourself get talked into a popular diet, just because 'it's part of the CrossFit lifestyle. It's also a business...)
    TAKE YOUR REST DAYS SERIOUSLY!
    THERE IS NO SHAME IN QUITTING, if you feel it's not an activity for you. It is your body, and you know it best. I have often been asked to join the box at my gym, but politely refused. My body doesn't recover as fast as it used to, and CrossFit isn't for me. I personally need to be able to modify my training as I see fit, and not submit to some WOD somebody else made up.

Have fun and train safe!
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My husband LOVES crossfit. He has been at it for 2 years. Me, personally its not for me. I do not like the competing aspect of the classes. I prefer to go at my own pace. With that being said, and to answer your question, the ladies I see in crossfit have great bodies! So if its something you enjoy, stick with it and you will be rewarded. I would give it a month at least to see if it will work for you (thats what I did) If its not for you, just switch and get PT if your budget allows. I love mine!
  • bregrig
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions! Rest days I hear are crucial and am not sure how many days on and off I am supposed to have. I understand a lot of boxes have 'fake' trainers but the one I will be going to has only CPT and crossfit certified trainers, plus a few are physical therapists and all seem to have a ton of knowledge. It may not be for me, but I need something that changes up my boring routine I have been trying to change for the last 3 years and never really was able to lift heavy properly or even do a real pull-up without my spine being misaligned etc. This may be a place I am able to achieve those goals and am able to have more functional training. But I appreciate all opinions :)
  • bregrig
    Options
    My husband LOVES crossfit. He has been at it for 2 years. Me, personally its not for me. I do not like the competing aspect of the classes. I prefer to go at my own pace. With that being said, and to answer your question, the ladies I see in crossfit have great bodies! So if its something you enjoy, stick with it and you will be rewarded. I would give it a month at least to see if it will work for you (thats what I did) If its not for you, just switch and get PT if your budget allows. I love mine!

That is so good to hear! Do you have personal training through crossfit? I didn't realize they did 1-1 training!
  • jrick130
    jrick130 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My wife and I started Crossfit 6 months ago and it was the best decision we've ever made. Our crossfit "box" is not competative but just the opposite, extremely encouraging. In fact my 20 years old son just started. You get out of it what you put in. I'm 46 and not trying to be Mr America, just get in better shape, so my coaches know that. Crossfit changed my life!!!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I tried crossfit, had a great instructor who worked really closely with us to do the different lifts and making sure form was right before we went to an actual class. I enjoyed a lot of it, but decided I liked my gym better and couldn't afford both. My trainer ended up getting certified in Crossfit, so now I have the best of both worlds as he works some of the stuff into my workouts. I like competing with myself and making sure I am improving. Good luck, hope you enjoy it.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

That is so good to hear! Do you have personal training through crossfit? I didn't realize they did 1-1 training!

No, I just got a PT at the gym. But any trainer should be able to go through a crossfit workout with you, so same thing I guess...
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to keep an open mind and go into it with a positive attitude. Be patient. You will be throwing heavy weights on soon enough but work on form to begin with. It's you against you, always, but use the camaraderie of the others in your class to push yourself. There is always a little bit more in the tank and Crossfit will teach you where your true limits are.

If you put time into it, you will see remarkable change. Eat well, rest often and stick with it. I lost 30 lbs in my first 4-5 months of Crossfit and now I am working on maintenance and just getting stronger!

I am coming up on my 1 year Crossfit anniversary and couldn't be happier that I made the choice to try it. It was scary at first but I am a better person for it. It has changed my life in so many ways and I am never looking back.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Just because it's funny......that's all.....
    1741972_1399983383594425_956343281_a.jpg

or

1103ca87dd11981af2318d2743e78f13.jpg

I love this guy, he's hilarious.
  • bregrig
    Options
    My best advice is to keep an open mind and go into it with a positive attitude. Be patient. You will be throwing heavy weights on soon enough but work on form to begin with. It's you against you, always, but use the camaraderie of the others in your class to push yourself. There is always a little bit more in the tank and Crossfit will teach you where your true limits are.

If you put time into it, you will see remarkable change. Eat well, rest often and stick with it. I lost 30 lbs in my first 4-5 months of Crossfit and now I am working on maintenance and just getting stronger!

I am coming up on my 1 year Crossfit anniversary and couldn't be happier that I made the choice to try it. It was scary at first but I am a better person for it. It has changed my life in so many ways and I am never looking back.

How long did it take for you to be able to get the forms of all of the exercises correct?
  • EmmieCar86
    EmmieCar86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing it for almost 4 months and I am still having trouble getting with the clean and overhead squat. It definitely takes time and continuing practice for sure, but I love it! I think everyone has areas they're stronger at than others. Good luck :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i did the on-ramp class and did a few months at a box. for the most part i like the idea of crosstraining for different things, i like the workouts for the most part (except for the kipping stuff). i stopped going because it reminded me of a clique or something. the best i can describe it as several people who werent athletic or jocks in high school but secretly wanted to be and now that they are are older and richer and can afford $200 a month and dont have to *really* play a sport they act like stereotypical high school jocks, but they are like 30 :laugh: at the boxes i went to, those of us who actually did come from competitive athletic background found this amusing.

but that dosnt keep me from sometimes doing the WOD at my own regular people gym.

ETA: i also didnt notice any competitiveness at my gym. for some workouts you will be among the first to finish and others you willbe among the last. but what i did notice was that many people who finish first will then go encourage others who are struggling to push through. i did like that aspect since it reminded me of my team workouts way in the past.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Here's column written by a bodybuilder/weight-lifting trainer on one of the most-read weight lifting sites on the internet.
    http://www.t-nation.com/training/crossfit-apology

In a more recent column, he admits to having taken up Crossfit for a period of time...and that he liked it!
    http://www.t-nation.com/training/bodybuilder-goes-crossfit

If I were you, OP, I might listen to this coach, rather than the previous poster who I have quoted above.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Just because it's funny......that's all.....
    1741972_1399983383594425_956343281_a.jpg

or

1103ca87dd11981af2318d2743e78f13.jpg

I love this guy, he's hilarious.

dunno about this, but crossfit guys are kinda hot :smooched:

until they talk then it's 50% :laugh:
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    unless you can do the compound exercises at an intermediate level, crossfit is just a **** show.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    unless you can do the compound exercises at an intermediate level, crossfit is just a **** show.

How so? Not everyone has the same goals.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I did a cross fit session once - it was fun, had a good spirit for those who prefer to work out in a group environment, and I got a good workout in.
    I just prefer the convenience of my 24 hour gym.