Steak on a stovetop

Options
I'm really jonesin for a steak but I don't have access to a grill, any pointers on how to make one with a regular pan and a stovetop??

Replies

• cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    That's the only way we eat steak when I'm at the family home. You just put butter/oïl in your pan, wait until it's hot, then heat the steak on both sides and reduce the heat until it's cooked. It's important for the heat to be high in the beginning so it traps the juices Inside.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm really jonesin for a steak but I don't have access to a grill, any pointers on how to make one with a regular pan and a stovetop??

Cast iron pan, sear, baste with butter and herbs till cooked to your preferred doneness
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Get your pan as hot as you can. Coat your steak in about half a tablespoon of oil, and season to taste. Turn the heat down on your pan, and put the steak in immediately. It will take about three or four minutes each side (to get to medium; longer for well done, shorter for rare) and then leave to rest for about 5-10 minutes. Yum!
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've never made a steak before and I'm making my boyfriend be my guinea pig tomorrow!
  • jenn3365
    jenn3365 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to add garlic cloves. Gordon Ramsey has some vidros on youtube for steak on the stove top. We crust ours in salt and pepper also.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Using the broiler in your oven, if you have one, is another option when there is no grill available.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked because I've mastered this technique, it's actually quite simple...

Get a steak, season it, put it on a broiling pan with a drip tray, set your oven to broil on high, make sure the rack is close to the top shelf, make sure to keep the oven door somewhat open so the broiling element doesn't turn off, 5 mins on both sides will give you a perfect medium and enjoy ;)

If you pan fry a steak, you're introducing more fat into the equation than necessary.. The oven method is better.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do the broiler way often.

I'm really simple for the stove top method--cast iron pan, salt and pepper the meat, start on very high heat, flip after a few minutes (not too many). Take it off the pan and let it rest when finished (don't overcook, obviously) and in the same pan sauté some garlic and mushrooms to go with it.