Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Hello!

I am in the market for a heart rate monitor (well...my holiday list is :-p) and I was wondering if anyone had any brands/models they would recommend? (or not recommend). There's just so many different kinds, I don't know where to start!

Thank you!

Carrie

Replies

• SandraMay1982
    Options
    I am undecided myself between the following two.

http://www.heartratewatchcompany.com/Suunto-M5-Heart-Rate-Monitors-p/suunto-m5-women.htm
    http://www.heartratewatchcompany.com/heart-rate-monitors-p/garmin-forerunner-60-womens.htm

both seem pretty good, but one doesn't allow you to input your own details (only with an ANT+ scale (never seen one)) So I am leaning towards the M5 even though it's not purple *L*
  • mable10
    Options
    I got a Polar FT60 in Sept and love it! I would highly recommend it.
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    I have only had the Polar F4 & F6. I have loved them both. The F4 will run you around $80 & the F6, $100.

Depends on whether you workout at home or at the gym. If the gym then get the F6, the F4 will get interference from the equipment in the gym. This is why I upgraded from the F4 to the F6. Otherwise, that ting is still going strong, I gave it to a friend.

Both display calories burned & I always found both to be pretty darn accurate. They both use a chest strap which I tuck under my sports bra & honestly forget I am wearing most times. I only wear my HRM when I am working out, not all day as I have heard others do.
  • amtrust
    amtrust Posts: 178
    Options
    I have only had the Polar F4 & F6. I have loved them both. The F4 will run you around $80 & the F6, $100.

Depends on whether you workout at home or at the gym. If the gym then get the F6, the F4 will get interference from the equipment in the gym. This is why I upgraded from the F4 to the F6. Otherwise, that ting is still going strong, I gave it to a friend.

Both display calories burned & I always found both to be pretty darn accurate. They both use a chest strap which I tuck under my sports bra & honestly forget I am wearing most times. I only wear my HRM when I am working out, not all day as I have heard others do.

Great info! Thanks! I've been wondering too!
  • metsgirl31
    Options
    Ok Great! Thank you everyone for all your help!! :)
  • sassy_2280
    Options
    I had received a MIO for my birthday and it SUCKED! Do not get a MIO or even consider it! I exchanged it for the Polar F6 and I LOVE the F6...I've been only using it about a week now but would recommend it to everyone! :-)
  • HidyleDidyle
    Options
    I purchased a "Smart Health" HRM a few weeks ago for around $50-60, and really...I find it quite useless. I'm pretty sure the calorie counter only clicks in if you are moving your arms, and it doesn't matter how hard your heart is beating and the rest of your body is working. I don't recommend it at all!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Whatever you get, make sure it takes ALL your vitals, not just weight and age. Mine is now the Polar FT40 - I had the F6 but it died just a couple of weeks ago. Watch programming kept blanking out. I'm sure it was due to the change in battery. Ah well.

Anyway, the Polars ask for height, weight, sex, age, activity level (the FT40 did - the F6 didn't). Then the FT40 does a resting heart rate thingy to set the VO2 info.

So far, it's comparable in ability to the F6 I had. :-)

FYI, don't buy a Timex....they're as bad as using basic gym equipment.
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    I am looking for a monitor as well. I think I am going to go with the FT40. I have a question though...do you have to use the electrode cream?? Or does the monitor work just as well without it?? thanks!
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! I asked for one for Christmas...I have been looking at the Garmin Forerunners...seems good but a little on the expensive side.
  • slieber
    Options
    What electrode cream? Mine just needs a bit of wetting under the tap and it's fine. My manual doesn't mention anything about electrode cream. I have the FT40. So far, i think I love it... still working it out though.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    metsgirl31, One of the most touted I've come across is the Polar F6 as you can plainly see from all the posts expressing their love for it. Some people are now turning to newer models where you can manually change the batteries. Polar is always a great choice.
    SootyMay, stay away from Suunto I've read nothing but bad user reviews. Garmins have great reviews but it depends what your goals are. Garmins are used mostly by endurance athletes because they're multi-functional. If you are just going to the gym or just running around the park or track, get the F6.
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    well I just ordered my FT40 on ebay and I noticed when I looked up the polar ft40 the electrode cream came up. it says it is could for conductivity....not true?? I have never used a HRM before. do you wet the strap or ? and is this before you workout or are you talking for cleaning purposes?? thanks!!
  • slieber
    Options
    That's a sales pitch, then. The instructions actually say to run the strap under water to wet the electrodes to make a better conduction. That's what I do. You also do that for cleaning <grin>

Don't fall for the extra stuff. You don't need it. I've been using a HRM for over 2 years. Love it. Almost obsessed. My dance teachers love hearing how hard they've made me work, tool LOL!
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    great news! because I didn't buy the cream :) thanks!
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've got the polar f6 and I love it! Highly recommended!!!!
  • kathyrpa
    Options
    i started to stationary bike and on the bike it said 400 cal burned in 15.7 miles with the POLAR F7 it said I burned 599...I hope its right! on the other hand I thought I was burning 250 w/ turbo Jam workout and it said I only burned 190... so im assuming the heart rate monitor is more correct.. I just wish I knew how to use all that it comes with! im not that great with computers and there is a lot on it hopefully someday
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    i started to stationary bike and on the bike it said 400 cal burned in 15.7 miles with the POLAR F7 it said I burned 599...I hope its right! on the other hand I thought I was burning 250 w/ turbo Jam workout and it said I only burned 190... so im assuming the heart rate monitor is more correct.. I just wish I knew how to use all that it comes with! im not that great with computers and there is a lot on it hopefully someday

I am hoping to see the same results you are seeing when you did the bike. When the elliptical says I only burn 300 calories and I feel like I worked my butt off!!! I am hoping my new HRM will tell me I am actually burning more! So excited to get it!!
  • slieber
    Options
    I tried to find the F7 but it wasn't available. The FT40 was supposedly its replacement. You can change the batteries on both.

Be prepared to be shown you are burning FEWER calories with a proper HRM, though. The elliptical at the gym tells me I burn 300+ in 30 minutes. My HRM tells me 200+ - and that's for pretty heavy interval training!
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    I tried to find the F7 but it wasn't available. The FT40 was supposedly its replacement. You can change the batteries on both.

Be prepared to be shown you are burning FEWER calories with a proper HRM, though. The elliptical at the gym tells me I burn 300+ in 30 minutes. My HRM tells me 200+ - and that's for pretty heavy interval training!

aww darn it!! I was hoping opposite...so why does the bike say more on the HRM then the actual bike? Are all cardio machines going to be different from the HRM??