Leading by example

Options
CSARdiver
CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
I just started getting back in shape about 1 month ago after agreeing to take on Den Leader as my son is entering cub scouts this year and I need to set a good example. I had a total thyroidectomy 14 years ago and changed occupations from a high level of activity to driving a desk and lacked the motivation to workout.

Wife is very supportive (no surprise there) and so far I'm cutting bad calories out of the diet and not doing anything dramatic. I have a crazy sweet tooth and so far that's the only battle. Amazing how only one month into it and rarely crave sweets. Realizing how much I missed the endorphin rush after a good workout.

For exercise as I have a bad knee I'm starting out with walking, elliptical, and bikes mostly interval and interrupting with free weights every 10-15 mins for 60 mins 3x week. Stepping it up next week to 5x week.

Started at ~278 and currently ~268, so losing ~1.8lbs/week. Feeling incredibly better and can't believe I let myself go for so long. My goal is to get down to 220 before the end of the year and then focus on endurance and do one of the obstacle races (i.e. Spartan Race) in 2015.

Best of luck to all and looking forward to hearing your success stories and weight loss/strength gaining strategies.