PAD THAI

lindseyelyzabeth
lindseyelyzabeth Posts: 33 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
i LOVE spicy food. something i have learned while eating healthier and cooking a lot more is that healthy does not have to mean bad tasting. learning how to use and combine spices really makes all of the difference. i know, for me, a lot of asian cooking has come into play as i eat healthier. asian food uses a lot more vegetables, lean protein, (if chosen correctly) complex carbs and spicy heat. asian food can ALSO contain a lot of sodium and sugar. the beauty of cooking yourself is having the ability to control what's going in your food. pad thai is one of my favorite dishes. we've found a combination that is super tasty - we make it probably every other week.

INGREDIENTS (2 servings)

4 oz. whole wheat linguini
2 tbsp. minced shallot
1 garlic clove, minced
1/8 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup bean sprouts
1 egg

SAUCE

1 tbsp pad thai sauce (a taste of thai brand)
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp agave necter
1 tbsp sriracha hot sauce (more or less, depending how spicy you like it)

DIRECTIONS

combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside
boil water and cook pasta, drain and set aside
on medium heat, saute shallot until golden brown (i usually just spray it with a little bit of non-stick spray instead of adding a ton of oil). add garlic and continue to saute until fragrant.
push to the side of your pan, and add the egg and scramble it.
add about 1/4 of the sauce and coat everything. add about 1/2 of your noodles and another 1/4 of your sauce. continue to mix until everything is coated.
add beat sprouts. mix until they warm up. add another 1/4 of your sauce.
add the rest of your pasta and sauce. bring everything together. add green onion at the very end, just until warm.

if you want to add some protein, chicken breast or tofu works great!

Replies

• Sounds delicious - I'm going to try it out! Thanks for the recipe!
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    Pad Thai is one of my favorites... What's the calorie count of your recipe work out to be?

Also, I noticed it is conspicuously absent of peanuts and peanut sauce, a staple to every pad Thai I've ever had... Is it too difficult to include those and remain healthy?
  • lindseyelyzabeth
    lindseyelyzabeth Posts: 33 Member
    you're SO right! i totally forgot to add the peanuts! i don't do a peanut sauce, i prefer the spicy/sweet combo, as stated. but, i usually do add a couple of tablespoons of raw peanuts at the end as a small garnish. how could i forget! :)

NUTRITION FACTS (with .5 oz of peanuts, not including protein addition)

calories: 364
    fat: 7
    carbs: 67
    protein: 11
    sugar: 21
    sodium: 1423
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    That's not bad at all... Thanks for the recipe, I'm bookmarking it to try later!
  • jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    MMmmmmm That sounds really good! I'm going to have to try that one out. Thanks for sharing!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Pad Thai is one of my favorites... What's the calorie count of your recipe work out to be?

Also, I noticed it is conspicuously absent of peanuts and peanut sauce, a staple to every pad Thai I've ever had... Is it too difficult to include those and remain healthy?

I'm excited to try this!!

BTW- I got yelled at in my favorite Thai Restraunt for asking for extra peanut sauce once. (I really just wanted it to dip the fried tofu in BUT...) As it turns out YES they put peanuts on top but according to the women behind the counter and her mother in the back screaming in a language I don't speak "Authentic" Pad Thai isn't made with Peanut Sauce. This was news to me!! But it's delicious regarldess!! :bigsmile:
  • goingwithgrace
    goingwithgrace Posts: 109 Member
    You are the coolest cousin ever! Thanks for the recipe Linds!! :)
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    bump!
This discussion has been closed.