how did you start running?

Options
13»

Replies

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Running has always terrified me. in school track and field and cross country were absolute nightmares for me. i was always the worst runner in the school and it was pure torture. I've never been in good shape in my life. now im at 190lbs and im wondering if i have it in me to become a runner and actually enjoy it. my biggest challenge is breathing. i get REALLY out of breath easily and it takes a long time for me to recover from it (shovelling snow in the winter makes me feel like im litterally dying. its painful and takes about an hour for my breathing to go back to normal). I also have bad anxiety so being so out of breath can be scary because it feels very similar to a panic attack. on top of that im a smoker : /... bad, i know.

Last night i went for a 40 minute brisk 2.2 mile walk, and managed to do a very short run in the middle(about 20 seconds) but it took about 40 minutes for me to get my breathing back to normal afterwards.

any runners out there who started from very out of shape? how did you start and build your stamina(breathing in particular). are there any runners out there who smoke or am i just kidding myself?

I was in the same boat (except the smoking). When I first started seriously exercising my heart rate would shoot up and breathing was incredibly difficult during any kind of moderate to high intensity cardio. I started walking several times a week. Then I mixed in the elliptical, 40 minutes 3 times a week. I didn't attempt to run until I had done this consistently for nearly a year straight (increasing the resistance along the way). I started running because I was bored with the elliptical and I wanted to be outside on cooler days. By the time I started in March, I had a solid cardio background, so the running wasn't nearly as horrible as I remember. I would run very slowly as long as I could, walk when I couldn't. I can run almost an hour straight now, albeit still pretty slowly. :smile: When you don't feel like you're going to keel over, it's actually quite pleasant. Don't feel you need to run though, whatever exercise you can get yourself to do is what you should do! If you decide to run, research before you start (posture, speed, pains, etc.). Take it slow and good luck!
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've had asthma since I was a kid, and always used that as an excuse for why I couldn't run. I've been running for 12 weeks now, and my breathing has improved a lot already. I did C25K, it builds you up slowly and you can repeat weeks or days if you need to. The first week is 60 seconds running, 2 minutes walking. Don't sprint, go slow. I've had runs where I ran slower than I walked.
  • cookiegy
    cookiegy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was a big smoker, really out of shape and hit forty and thought "that's it!". I used a couch to five k programme, which I tweaked whenever I struggled. I stopped smoking, and just revelled in doing something. Every time I couldn't finish I didn't care because I'd lost weight and was exercising. I just knew I'd do it some day. It's taken me nine weeks but I'm now in week five of the programme, as I kept repeating until I was ready. Tomorrow I'm doing a straight 20 minute run. If I don't do it who cares? I'll do it next week. Keep at it, even if you run for one minute a day and stop it's better than nothing. Tomorrow you'll do one minute ten.

I just did my 20 minute run this week! Congratulations! C25K is awesome - I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to go from super unfit to running.
    To the smoking thing, I was a smoker up until 3 weeks ago. I bought an e-cigarette I use (0% nicotine) whenever I have a craving, but I've more or less stopped all together.
    Good luck on your journey!

Good luck to you too! I managed my twenty minute run this morning, and feel great. Congratulations on you making it too, good luck with the future runs.
  • veg56kg
    veg56kg Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was walking past the cross country team on my way home a few years ago, I asked if i could join them. I couldn't even run a mile but after about a month I could run 3 in less than 30 minutes :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K (it's a great program), but quit it after about 3 weeks. I have an issue with someone telling me when to run and when to walk, so instead I downloaded the Zombies, Run! app, which is much more fun.

It's exactly the same programme...
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K (it's a great program), but quit it after about 3 weeks. I have an issue with someone telling me when to run and when to walk, so instead I downloaded the Zombies, Run! app, which is much more fun.

:laugh:
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Slowly.

Really slowly.

At the beginning I tried to go faster and my chest kept seizing up (not asthma just tiny lungs) and the best advice I got for that and for stitches was run more slowly.
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    i only fell in love with running after my middle school p.e. class introduced us to actual track rather than the usual "half-heartedly jog this mile and try not to die." i loved sprinting and in freshman year i was usually begging our coach to let me just jog around the track for an hour. it just feels natural to me. but i do have the smoking problem, and i just bought my first vape pen yesterday to cut them out. i'd definitely recommend it if you want to quit, it's much less harsh on your lungs and doesn't have nearly as much toxic *kitten*.
  • cosmiqrust
    Options

not quite? i mean it can be, but all the difference is in the gamification, between an automated voice telling you WALK, RUN, WALK, RUN and an interactive story and rewards. i've tried both and i honestly couldn't stick with c25k the way i can to zombies.
  • AglaeaC
    Options

not quite? i mean it can be, but all the difference is in the gamification, between an automated voice telling you WALK, RUN, WALK, RUN and an interactive story and rewards. i've tried both and i honestly couldn't stick with c25k the way i can to zombies.
    Are you talking about differences in execution or in the programme itself?

Couch-to-5K is nine weeks, with some spin-offs reducing it to eight weeks. Different apps might present the programme in different wrappings, but the contents are the same if they are called C25K.

A free version, the NHS podcasts, are proper commentary throughout by Laura Something and I used that.

ETA
    I wrote this post so that newbies wouldn't be confused.
  • cosmiqrust
    Options

Couch-to-5K is nine weeks, with some spin-offs reducing it to eight weeks. Different apps might present the programme in different wrappings, but the contents are the same if they are called C25K.

A free version, the NHS podcasts, are proper commentary throughout by Laura Something and I used that.

ETA
    execution mostly. the original base zombies, run! app lets you go at your own pace and doesn't really have set times to walk/jog/run unless you turn on zombie chases. i usually do it on the treadmill without chases, run during my playlist and walk/jog during the story intervals (about 30-60 seconds of rest for every 5 minutes). i believe they have their own c25k program but i've never tried it, i can only speak from experience with the original app.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I started running by running. Agonizing, painful, horrible 1-2 miles at a time with no idea what I was doing, what shoes to wear, etc. I was in high school and was summer "training" so I could do cross country in the fall, because I didn't want to squeeze gym into my schedule at 6 am, and because I thought XC would be easier than gym (cue insane laughter). I didn't care much for cross country, but I loved running long, slow-ish distances, so I eventually started running half-marathons my senior year of high school and haven't looked back since.

I'd recommend starting with a run/walk plan to begin to build up your body to the rigors of running. You'll be surprised at how your body adapts to it :)
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    When I was 14 I got arthritis in my hips and I have had to have them replaced. Twice. Three and a half years ago at age 53 I started running. I was ecstatic that I went a whole half mile in my Reebok cross-trainers. I did not follow any program... I just kept running 4 or 5 days a week. This past April I ran my first ultramarathon trail race (50k)... something I never, ever thought I could do and something my doctors told me I never could or should do.

I now run 40-45 miles a week injury free and am currently training for another 50k in September and my first 50 mile race in October. I attribute it to being consistent (even in freezing crappy weather), eating right and spending the money on good running shoes. I personally cannot run in anything except zero-drop minimalist shoes, but they aren't for everyone.

I am totally addicted to running now...especially the long, painful runs by myself at 4:30 in the morning. It's my therapy and much more. I am no athlete by any stretch of the imagination... I'm just an average middle-aged guy who wants to accomplish some "cool impossibles".

I still feel like a beginner and I have loved reading all these threads about people starting out on their incredible journeys... don't stop posting on how you are doing.... they are all so motivational!

You are freaking AWESOME!
  • AglaeaC
    Options

ETA
    execution mostly. the original base zombies, run! app lets you go at your own pace and doesn't really have set times to walk/jog/run unless you turn on zombie chases. i usually do it on the treadmill without chases, run during my playlist and walk/jog during the story intervals (about 30-60 seconds of rest for every 5 minutes). i believe they have their own c25k program but i've never tried it, i can only speak from experience with the original app.
    I'm just clarifying, again for the newbies :)

The couch-to-5K programme originates here:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml

Here you can find two versions of the plan, a time- and a distance-based version:
    http://www.c25k.com

People usually choose the time-based one, because distance is very hard to estimate unless one runs on a 400-metre track.

Whatever apps have been developed do or do not follow the original plan by Cool Running. The NHS podcasts, which I have used, follow the plan completely. Hope this helps!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I started running 6 years ago. My best friend and I always had a tradition where we went out to breakfast on Thanksgiving, which is pretty dumb. She started running our town's turkey trot 5K and then would meet me for breakfast after, so I figured we should probably just do the turkey trot instead of breakfast! I did the couch to 5K that year but wasn't consistent with it and walked a good portion of the race. Running never really stuck, but I would train for and run a 5K every now and then and then I would always do the turkey trot with her. About 2 years ago I started exercising regularly and it tended to make running a lot easier, so I've kept up with it. I ran my first 10K in May of this year and I'm training for my first half marathon. I NEVER thought I would be able to call myself a runner, but consistency really is key!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 10K in May of this year and I'm training for my first half marathon. I NEVER thought I would be able to call myself a runner, but consistency really is key!

Sometimes that is a mindset that is hard to shake...my brother has been running ultras for a while and just did his second 100 mile race. Because of all that, I was reluctant to think of myself as a runner until I did my first 50k...lol... when in reality 13.1 is a righteous distance!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

The training is the same. If it takes noise like a story and badge collecting to do it then that's fine, although I'd query the usefulness long term.