OMG!!! help!!! :-(

Options
2»

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Let's talk about fat & protein.

More and more I'm leaning towards fat being the new superfood. Seriously, it should get a cape and a portrait in the Hall of Justice. It was demonized in the 90s, but it turns out that fat is really pretty good for you. It helps keep your hormones regulated, your skin, nails, and hair healthy, it helps with mood, and keeps people feeling fuller and more satisfied. It's more calorie dense than protein and fat, but it's also an important part of your diet.

You should be getting at least .35 grams of fat for every pound of body weight. Are you hitting those numbers? If not, then consider adding some fats to your diet. Nuts, cheese, avocado, cooking oils, etc. can really pack a punch.

Now onto protein. The reason so many people stress protein around here is that it helps to repair and retain your lean muscle mass while you're dieting. You see, when you're losing weight your body can take it from fat store and/or from your muscles. You know those dieters who reach their goal weight and aren't very happy with what they see in the mirror afterward? Most of them have lost more muscle man than they wanted to. Protein helps with that. It also helps people feel fuller longer just like fat does.

There are a lot of different places you can set your protein (depending on your fitness routine, goals, etc). Somewhere around .6-.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight is a good starting point. Consider adding more meat, meat substitutes, cheese, beans, legumes, etc. to your diet.

And the rest of your calories get filled up by carbs to give you energy and vitamins and minerals. This includes veggies, bread, naan, pasta, etc. None of those foods are off limits, but making them the bulk of your meals makes it harder to get the fat & protein that you need.

Taking a look at those numbers may help to give you an idea of where/how to boost your intake.
  • ZaCkOX
    ZaCkOX Posts: 115
    Options
    I don't know what happened but I with so much effort and time I was able to reduce my weight from 64 kgs to 61.5 kgs. And just because i din't check it for 5 days and because I was eatin too low that everyone asked me to eat at least 1200 cal, my whole effort is ruined :-( God!! I just wanna cry aloud. WTH! I don't know what to do now...

Results don't always happen overnight. Just don't freak out and you will continue to lose weight.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    :-( :-( I was celebrating 'Eid' so I dint see what i was eating and I havnt ate naan bread since I started my diet.

You had Naan bread for breakfast today...
    Bottom line is that unless you are very overweight, usually 1200 calories is what you need just for basic body function. Of course you will lose weight eating less than this - but can you maintain that? can you eat under 1200 calories EVERYDAY? You want to lose the weight slowly, while being healthy - so you can keep doing it once you reach your goal weight
  • chubbyfitgirl
    Options
    Not only are you eating way too little, but you are eating nothing of worth.
    Example: Tyson chicken nuggets and bread for breakfast
    Sprite
    Tea (tea is 0 calories by itself and does not count as a breakfast item, not even worth counting)

You can scramble up some eggs and chop some kale into it, while toasting Ezekiel bread quicker than those nuggets will bake.

Where are your proteins? Your body will not do anything for you if you are not feeding it properly.

By eating too little you are basically letting your metabolism go to sleep. Why should it work if are not intaking anything for it to burn?
    Go grab some healthy snacks for throughout the day (almonds, carrots and hummus, cherries-not Sprite or other highly processed foods).

Everyone already placed everything out for you. I'm really hoping you listen because the way you are eating is going to make you seriously sick one day.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Here's your help:

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support

http://www.anad.org/

Even at 1200 calories daily, most women aren't getting enough food, EVEN for weight loss. I suffered from an eating disorder throughout my teens and early twenties. Talking to a professional is the best help you can get for yourself.
  • chubbyfitgirl
    Options
    I was just thinking this!! ^^^^^^
  • chubbyfitgirl
    Options
    Also, in a previous post you made you answered your own question.

"Basically i am a medical student. All i have to do is sit on a desk. I dint put on weight because of overeating but i did it because i was in no physical activity from past couple of years. I dont like eatin more i fear it ll just do more harm. 1200 cal is a amount i was consuming before startin a diet."

Keep eating, start moving?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Also, in a previous post you made you answered your own question.

"Basically i am a medical student. All i have to do is sit on a desk. I dint put on weight because of overeating but i did it because i was in no physical activity from past couple of years. I dont like eatin more i fear it ll just do more harm. 1200 cal is a amount i was consuming before startin a diet."

Keep eating, start moving?

I'd echo this. The solution is to continue to eat but to move more, not to starve yourself. As a medical student you should be aware of the physiological consequences of things like iron and calcium deprivation.