Which BMR formula do I use??

Options
Katch-Mcardle which gives me a BMR of 1695 or Harris-Benedict which gives me a BMR of 1872? Big difference. Trying to figure out what amount I should be eating... I am 31, 5'2 and 246 lbs. MFP calculated I should be eating 1200 cals a day to lose 2 lbs a week. Yes I've seen everyone saying 1200 is too low, then what should I be at? My activity amount is sedentary as of now, desk job. Start the gym next week. Thanks!!!!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    K-M is probably more accurate, since it takes your body fat% into account. Though, what method did you use to measure your body fat%?

Were I you, I wouldn't go below 1400 cals per day for now. With a little bit of exercise, your TDEE is probably around 2400-2500 (this is just a guess).
  • likewhoa712
    likewhoa712 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    K-M is probably more accurate, since it takes your body fat% into account. Though, what method did you use to measure your body fat%?

Were I you, I wouldn't go below 1400 cals per day for now. With a little bit of exercise, your TDEE is probably around 2400-2500 (this is just a guess).

I have a wii fit that has always been pretty consistant, that says my body fat is 45%. Ughhh
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

I have a wii fit that has always been pretty consistant, that says my body fat is 45%. Ughhh

That's your BMI not Body Fat %. Wii Fit doesn't measure body composition. It doesn't have a way to. It does however take your height and weight to determine where you fall on the BMI scale.
  • WBB55
    Options

That's your BMI not Body Fat %. Wii Fit doesn't measure body composition. It doesn't have a way to. It does however take your height and weight to determine where you fall on the BMI scale.

That might be her body fat. My body fat was about that when I was at my heaviest.
  • shadow2soul
    Options

That might be her body fat. My body fat was about that when I was at my heaviest.

She got the number from the wii fit. I have wii fit. It doesn't give body fat %. Although it could be her body fat % as well, the wii was saying it was her BMI. I confirmed it was her BMI by going to the CDC's BMI calculator and entering her height/weight.

OP, this site lists weighs to measure body fat %:
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/07/13/5-ways-to-measure-body-fat-percentage/
  • WBB55
    Options
    She got the number from the wii fit. I have wii fit. It doesn't give body fat %.

oh... shows what I know about the wii!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    If you're going the TDEE route, why not take an average of all of them, figure out your calorie target based on that, and then see what happens after 4 weeks or so? Then you can adjust if it's too fast/slow.
  • likewhoa712
    Options

Ohhhh thanks for clearing that up! I thought it was the same as the BMI

• likewhoa712
    Options
    If you're going the TDEE route, why not take an average of all of them, figure out your calorie target based on that, and then see what happens after 4 weeks or so? Then you can adjust if it's too fast/slow.

Well, it gave 2 different numbers, so how would I do both? I'm sorry, I'm very new to the mathematics of this and I'm not really getting it. Thanks!
  • WBB55
    Options

Well, it gave 2 different numbers, so how would I do both? I'm sorry, I'm very new to the mathematics of this and I'm not really getting it. Thanks!

She's saying average the two numbers. So just guess that your BMR is 1775, is what she's suggesting. And go from there.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    They are all estimates. Pick one ( I would start with the one that gives me more calories) and if it doesn't work (give it at least 3 weeks) lower your calories a bit or try increasing your activity.
  • ChriJMitch
    ChriJMitch Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind BMR =/= your total calorie needs for the day.

Your BMR is calories burned if you literally laid in bed all day. Although it feels like we may not do to much during the day if we work desk jobs, etc., you still burn additional calories. You need to calculate a BMR, and THEN factor in your daily calorie needs on top of that based on estimated calories burned for your lifestyle choice.

See this (it uses HB formula): http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Example, for me at 6'4", 200lbs, 25 y.o., I have a BMR of 2100 calories. BUT. I actually need roughly 400 calories per day to carry out my normal day-to-day functions. Thus my total calorie needs for a day are 2500 calories, and not 2100 that is just my BMR.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, go with the lowest number - for TDEE, BMR or calories burned. The only time you should err by picking the larger number is when you're calculating calories consumed.

If you find that the number is too low, you can always add more later. It's much harder to find out you were high and have to make up for it later.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Katch-Mcardle which gives me a BMR of 1695 or Harris-Benedict which gives me a BMR of 1872? Big difference. Trying to figure out what amount I should be eating... I am 31, 5'2 and 246 lbs. MFP calculated I should be eating 1200 cals a day to lose 2 lbs a week. Yes I've seen everyone saying 1200 is too low, then what should I be at? My activity amount is sedentary as of now, desk job. Start the gym next week. Thanks!!!!

Hi OP - I just had my own body fat% tested a couple weeks ago. My BMR came out almost exactly the same using both methods. But, not knowing your exact fat%, I think the Harris-Benedict might be the more accurate sample, just speaking from my own personal experience and best guess. Good Luck to you - and don't let that % scare you... all that matters is that it's going down now at this point :)
  • likewhoa712
    Options

Hi OP - I just had my own body fat% tested a couple weeks ago. My BMR came out almost exactly the same using both methods. But, not knowing your exact fat%, I think the Harris-Benedict might be the more accurate sample, just speaking from my own personal experience and best guess. Good Luck to you - and don't let that % scare you... all that matters is that it's going down now at this point :)

Thank you! I'm sure all this will "click" for me sometime soon, my brain just doesn't get it all yet lol. Can the gym check your body fat for you or do you go the dr? I didn't realize my bmi was something different
  • shadow2soul
    Options

Thank you! I'm sure all this will "click" for me sometime soon, my brain just doesn't get it all yet lol. Can the gym check your body fat for you or do you go the dr? I didn't realize my bmi was something different

Some gyms will. I believe at a gym they will either do the caliper method, a handheld device that measures it, or possibly a scale.

edit: I just realized in my last post I used "weighs" instead of "ways"....wow...I must have been tired.:blushing: :laugh:
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Both should be able to check your body fat %. I had a free consultation with the gym I signed up with so thankfully I didn't need to pay for a session. The dr. might be cheaper if it's covered under your insurance. But lots of gyms offer a free session when you sign up. If not, you can buy calipers and do it yourself (just google body fat calipers).
  • WBB55
    Options

Spend $1 on a tape measurer and use something like this to estimate your body fat% https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bodyfat

It's just an estimate, but it's free and easy to do at home, just as something you track (and you should track measurements once a month or once every two weeks. Something like that, in addition to your weight.)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Any of them. Try it for two weeks. Adjust it based on your results.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    All the BMR formulas are just estimates. The Katch McArdle is not as accurate for obese people because it does not take into account the energy to maintain fat stores. Mifflin St. Jeor is probably a better formula for you to use (this is the one that MFP uses).

Use a TDEE calculator instead, and then take a % cut off of that. A 20% deficit is considered moderate, but you could probably go 25% because you have quite a bit to lose.