REVIEW: Quest protein chips - Share your experience

Options
Diary_Queen
Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
Very excited to receive these. First of all, they were delivered very quickly. Secondly, they were packed in a heavy duty corrugated cardboard box that was appropriately sized. The individual bags of chips were also safety packed in thick cardboard sleeves so they didn't all get smunched in their travels from CA to TX. I chose to start with the BBQ flavor just because I like that and the packaging for that one is very attractive. I was happy to be reminded by the packaging that these were soy free, gluten free and only had 5g of carbs & 21g of protein. I reread the nutrition label - 120 calories for the whole bag... good! First chip out of the pack was, let's say, very oniony... I like onion powder, but this was a bit much. Took some time getting used to a mouth assault of flavor since I'm very preferential these days to the natural flavors of things. Next, do they crunch? Yep, they do.... then there's something after the crunch... kind of like chewing on sharp paper, but it's totally worth it. I never like how I feel when I gorge myself on anything, especially carbs, so this seems like a better choice. I can see these being pretty cool from time to time as long as the other flavors aren't as onion-tastic!

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Hopefully someone will review the cheddar and sour cream flavor since that's the one I'm interested in.

The stats look good on the chips tho (and I LOVE that they don't have fiber like the bars do....I love the bars but I'm not supposed to have a lot of fiber) and will be worth not stay away from whey too (supposed to stay away from dairy too....What can I say? I'm a rebel. :smile: ).
  • jeremys132
    jeremys132 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So I have had the chance to try all of the flavors. Here is my review:

The chips overall are great. They don't taste bad and they have a great crunch. It does actually feel like you are eating a chip.

Sea Salt: Not overly salty. They had a good taste and were light. Out of the three flavors however this was my least favorite.

Cheddar and Sour Cream: They were a lot better than the sea salt. Not overly powerful on the flavor and they were crispy and chewy. I did feel that this bag for some reason was more dry(?) Not sure thats the right word I want to use. They seemed to stick on the tongue more. This was my 2nd favorite flavor.

BBQ: This was by far my favorite flavor of the chips. It had a good taste. A little more prevalent than the other two. It also was very good. I could see keeping a bunch of these in my cupboard. I am not to fond of the other flavors.

All in all they are a hit. After seeing what is on the label I don't feel like crap eating them. They are delicious, crispy, and don't have the protein taste to them. I would highly recommend them! Feel free to ask any questions.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    I asked this in the other thread but I'll ask here too.

How's the quantity of the chips? Do you get a lot of little ones or fewer big ones? :smile:
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Tried the cheddar and sour cream today.. I can agree that these seemed a bit more shard-prone than the BBQ. the flavor wasn't as overpowering as I had expected it to be from the color of the flavor-dust visible on the chips.

Quantity: I feel that due to the careful packing and shipping that these really hold up well. Each bag that ive had only ended with about 1 tbsp of "crumbs". The rest of my chips were at least 1+ bites per chip or larger even if it was a broken chip.. they weren't all smashed and they're good quality.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    What is the price? I am quite fond of my Beanitos puffs, Cofresh lentil chips and simple 7 quinoa chips and I can get them for about $2 -$2.50 a bag of 3 servings. Of course they have lower protein but they are a great replacement for potato chips and tortillas which I no longer eat.
  • Bloomboom
    Bloomboom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I received my case of chips (all three flavors) about a week ago. I ordered a box of each flavor. My impressions are this:
    1. Like the flavors (my order of favorites are cheddar, BBQ then sea salt. Love the onion flavor in the cheddar and sour cream)
    2. Like the calorie and protein amounts
    3. Liked the ability of replacing regular chips (potato or corn)
    4. Disliked the odd texture after chewing for a bit. Maybe too familiar with above mentioned textures
    5. Loved the crunchiness
    6. Love the idea of portability- on the go ready- quick easy
    7. Liked the price. Ordered directly of off Quest's site. About $2.09/bag w/o shipping.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    so glad to see this thread! I love quest bars and had been wondering about the chips. Thanks for sharing!
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Welcome2theHellmouth Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Was wondering the same thing. Anyone see these in GNC or vitamin shoppe? Or are they online only?
  • SinCityFit
    Options
    I haven't tried them (although I eat Quest Bars all the time) but I HAVE tried another brand's protein chips and I had to stop buying them because sometimes I'd eat 1500 worth of calories of chips in a day and nothing else lol
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Welcome2theHellmouth Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them (although I eat Quest Bars all the time) but I HAVE tried another brand's protein chips and I had to stop buying them because sometimes I'd eat 1500 worth of calories of chips in a day and nothing else lol

I was worried about that too. I usually eat 2 quest bars a day. Probably better keep it at that!
  • ordinaryloser
    ordinaryloser Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My Quest package just came today & I probably had opened the bag before I even signed for it :) . I opted for Cheddar & Sour cream though since I've been known to indulge in the same likeness made by the unhealthier brand 'Ruffles'. On first bite, these chips taste excellent. Can't even notice the difference between these & regular chips. Taste kinda transforms into something that I can't quite put my finger on as time wears on though. But they're not nasty by any means & you can't beat the ingredients & protein intake. Will probably dip in my coworker's stash to try the BBQ.