General Suggestion/Question for Crossfit Boxes

Options
SunofaBeach14
SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
Look, I've been researching Crossfit for a while, and while I tend to avoid anything with a group/class approach, I decided to go in and speak to someone at our local box today. I asked about hours, the number of oly lifting platforms, alternative programs (do they just do Crossfit or do they have a straight oly lifting program? They do both), etc. I really liked the number of platforms, the huge amount of plates available, and the general feel of the place.

The one thing that completely turned me off? I couldn't get a straight answer on pricing and they didn't have a price sheet because "they prefer to do that face to face." I explained that I would only use it on weekends and I'd be keeping my YMCA membership because the box isn't convenient during the work week. Still, no straight answer as to pricing. The problem with that is it made me feel like I was shopping for a used car. That was a non-starter for me and I politely said "thank you," and left. There was a time in the 80s when all gyms played that game, but that time is long since gone. I'm honestly amazed that they function like that.

So my suggestion? Stop treating it like a sales game. Be upfront and honest about pricing, and stop playing the old used car game. It's a real turn off and it's very out of date. Okay, so that and one question: do all boxes do this?

Replies

• tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I would not join anything that I couldn't get a straight answer from. You're right. It feels more like you're being sold a product. While that is TRUE, it still sucks for them to act like it.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Expensive, crazy expensive is what I hear
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

So my suggestion? Stop treating it like a sales game. Be upfront and honest about pricing, and stop playing the old used car game. It's a real turn off and it's very out of date. Okay, so that and one question: do all boxes do this?

about 1/2 of them around here do that. And it's not just the crossfit boxes, either.

If you can't post your monthly rates on the website - I'm going somewhere else. I have no interested in playing around with that BS.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

about 1/2 of them around here do that. And it's not just the crossfit boxes, either.

If you can't post your monthly rates on the website - I'm going somewhere else. I have no interested in playing around with that BS.

Agreed, and thanks. Perhaps, I could find one around here that runs like a normal business. I'll check around.
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that would be a red flag for me too. Look around. Lots of boxes advertise their prices on their website so you don't have to wonder. I've seen everything from $100 a month to $180 a month, depending on box and how many times a week you plan on going.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    shutyourpieholeandsquat Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Mine has a pricing sheet depending on how long you commit and how many times a week you wanna go. Sounds like a douche runs the box.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    That would annoy the crap out of me. At my gym (strength gym not Crossfit) I walked in and they said: "It's X dollars for a month, Y for a week, Z for a day. No contracts, pay for as much or as little as you like." I was like, "Shut up and take my money." (In addition to being a fab gym with no bs the price was very right).