How did you lose the weight?

Options
Please post what you did to lose the weight......Exercise, nutrition all of it!

Replies

• megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Im doing zumba once or twice a week... in general being more active... and eating healthier and eating how much MFP tells me to... =]
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    I work out EVERYDAY, I am logging EVERYTHING I eat, I quit drinking and smoking and doing alot of praying.
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I eat the calories that MFP says but I also eat healthier so I do not feel like I'm being deprived. I started doing the Couch to 5k and just generally being more active. Every once in a while, I will allow myself a treat like ice cream or having one "bad" meal.
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I workout like a crazy person.
    I eat like a health freak.
    I obsess over reaching my goals.
    I never cheat on my workouts or nutrition.

I have a lot of fun with it.
    I think of every meal as an opportunity to reach my goals.
    I think of every exercise as an opportunity to strenghten my body and improve my form.
    I keep myself motivated.

I reward myself in positive ways.
    I encourage others to reach their goals.
    I really enjoy this LIFESTYLE.
    Yes, it is a lifestyle, not a diet.

You can do it you know, it's really not that hard. It just takes making some adjustments, better choices and perserverance.
  • Steph_Anie
    Steph_Anie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    A little off topic- but have you guys noticed that in real life when people ask you this and you tell them by working out and writing down every calorie that you consume... they are really disappointed? Like they thought that maybe you had a real secret, that you hadn't really had to work to lose the weight....... I get a little tickled every time someone sighs about the fact that it's work :-)
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options

I think of every exercise as an opportunity to strenghten my body and improve my form.
    I keep myself motivated.

You can do it you know, it's really not that hard. It just takes making some adjustments, better choices and perserverance.

I know I can do it, but I am doing everything you mentioned annnnd my body is NOT doing it.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i smoke crack..

nah seriously i'm doing p90x and if i dont do that i walk, plus logging everything i eat to stay under my goal
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple - I move. I don't eat completely terrible, I eat something sweet everyday. I put on my iPod for 30 -40 minutes 5x a week and dance. Nothing specific. A few push ups and sit ups - whatever exercises I might see in a magazine. It's all about calories in vs. calories out.
  • Steph_Anie
    Steph_Anie Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I keep myself motivated.

Very well put!
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have lost 84 pounds totally. Not all of it was on MFP. But I kind of just did it all on my own by changing my eating habits and becoming more active.

I am more active but I don't belong to a gym. I try to walk at least 1 hour -- 5 times a week. I garden and swim. Of course I clean my house and do all the regular things that most of us do.

The thing with MFP is that there is no diet. It is an "adult" type of site. There are no set "rules." I follow the calorie plan very, very closely. I watch myself like a hawk. I have the app on my iPod so I can check calories and nutrients wherever I am. On a regular day, I eat nothing unless I check out the values first. I concentrate on my weight loss (now maintenance) and am totally committed to being successful.

One thing that helped me the most, is I cleaned out my house of all "bad" foods (for me). I have lots of allowable snacks around but they are things like baby carrots, non fat pop corn made in the microwave, nuts and seeds... that sort of thing.

I track my sugar grams and don't make excuses that I don't eat "sugar." Not too many dieters eat sugar or candy, but there are hidden sugars everywhere.... lots in fruits and veggies too. I try very, very hard to stay under my sugar grams every day. I look for low sodium counts in everything I eat. Sodium is in everything that you eat at all restaurants -- Not just fast food places.

I collect and study the nutrition values of every restaurant I can. You'd be shocked by the counts in simple neighborhood places like Applebee's.

I try to eat what I enjoy, but in tiny portions.

Don't have any magic secret. It takes a lot of concentration, commitment and hard work. If I can do it, so can you! It took me almost 5 years to lose 84 pounds, but I believe the "slower the better." It truly is a total lifestyle change. But I finally felt I was worth it. You are too!
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    A little off topic- but have you guys noticed that in real life when people ask you this and you tell them by working out and writing down every calorie that you consume... they are really disappointed? Like they thought that maybe you had a real secret, that you hadn't really had to work to lose the weight....... I get a little tickled every time someone sighs about the fact that it's work :-)

This is true! I'll get someone who comes real close to me and will whisper that question to me like the answer I will provide is top secret. My weight is really lost by exercising and tracking my calories.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    the only "secret" thing that helped me was eating raw veggies or fruit BEFORE my meals..it helps me alot (when i remember to lol)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i consider my dollars a democratic vote in every purchase i make and therefore restrict food purchases to support people and ideas that i want to see happen in my environment.

this has shifted my thinking from "quick and cheap" to a "purposeful and meaningful act that not only benefits me, but benefits my neighbors and my environment."

there are times when i eat out, about 3-5x a month, some months more, some months less. in more cases than not, i choose small businesses within my neighborhood to frequent.

i keep my landfill contribution to a minimum, and that seems to work out on the scale, too. the more food i eat that is seasonal and local, the less that goes into the landfill; instead, my refuse goes into the compost bin to feed a new generation of plants and condition the soil so that i may grow my own expensive herbs and heirlooms.

i also got rid of my car over 3 years ago, so i bike, walk or take the bus everywhere i go. calorie out = more than calorie in. it's really that simple.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    oh, and that includes not drinking soda, replacing it with water and unsweetened tea.

and including mfp, i've lost about 80lbs, only gaining some back for a period when i lived close to fast food (local, but still convenient) restaurants. i've since cleared that weight i gained from that adventure, and am now lower than what i was before i gained it back.
  • kurrent
    Options
    Thanks for the input...I have been pretty successful thus far doing my routine...weight/cardio/watching what I eat, but I have hit a proverbial wall. I was interested to see what everyone else was doing to maybe incorporate and spice up my routine...THANKS for the responses so far!
  • rayfromtx
    Options
    If I'm doing things right and not seeing the results I want, I get draconian for a few days. I'll drop down to 1000-1200 calories and just bloody the nose of that little plateau. I'm not sure if I'm not being accurate enough in my entries or what it is exactly but it does the trick. I think it's time to do that again for me. I wasn't planning to lose any weight the week of thanksgiving but I was better than I thought I would have to be and I'm actually up a bit. It's time to kick it's but and get back on the downward trend line. 7 more pounds to my goal and I want it to be my Xmas present to myself.

So far my strategy has been to eat lots of food I cook myself, leaning on protein and shying from carbs. I try to keep the sodium under control. I've had some treats from time to time. I added exercise a while back and I'm starting to "see" results. That's kind of cool. I eat protein for bfast and lunch and try to stay between 3-400 calories each for those meals so I can save enough cals for a big healthy meal for dinner. That way I'm not hungry in the evening when I sit in front of the computer or whatever.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Both, eating right, counting calories and exercising. It's a simple math equation...calories in vs calories out.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I use portion control. Eating healthier foods, no sweets, no soft drinks (only water and maybe a black coffee in the morning) and no stress and/or boredom snacking.
    I work out 7 days a week for no less than 60 minutes.
  • Nicolletta
    Options
    Good old-fashioned calorie counting and exercising for an hour a day, six days a week.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    In June I ordered Turbo Jam, a friend of mine lost 50 pounds in 3 months with it. Although she did it 2-3 times a day! I only did it once. I was dropping weight like it was cool. I lost about 1-2 pounds a week exactly. At first, I didn't know about nutrition. I was barely eating, in fact. I ate grapes throughout the day and a regular dinner. I wasn't eating many calories at all. I did drop a lot of stuff like soda, all together which was HUGE for me. I don't even care for it anymore when I see it. I drank water all day. Eventually I learned more about nutrition and that calories really aren't the enemy. The enemy is not eating many calories. I got into Beachbody more as time went out and become very well educated with everything. I begun ChaLEAN Extreme and Turbo Fire after that. My nutrition overall is fine. I eat what I want pretty much, in moderation. Portion control is the number one thing for me if I want something that I really want. I watch my calories like a hawk, drink at least 100 ounces of water a day. I work out 6 days a week. Cardio and 3 times a week for strength training.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!