Confusion

Options
So I have decided to finally put in the effort for some me time and to become a better, happier person after dealing with a brutal break-up with an ex who loves putting our 4 year old in the middle, all that stress of making sure he wouldn't become affected meant I never gave myself a moment to even breath and that resulted in stress eating and a weight gain. I have a goal of losing 18 pounds and being happy with my body. However, I am so effing confused by all the stuff I am reading and hearing. Low-carb, high-carb, low-fat, no fruit after 2, no dairy after 6, no this no that too much of this, not enough of that, holy smokes. Can someone please explain what I am supposed to be looking out for, does it really matter if I eat carbs after 8 or fruit after 2 or is my focus just on calories and portion size? Too many crazy diets and rules and I have no idea what I am supposed to believe anymore. Also, any tips on how to avoid stress eating. Thanks

Replies

• nlcs_nickyv32
    Options
    A lot of that is fad and false info.

Some diets work better than others, Low-carb diets work but I still wouldn't advise it. I tried it and I did not enjoy it. Low fat is BS, your body needs fats. I never heard about no fruit after 2 but that is also BS, same for no dairy after 6.

The best way to lose weight diet wise is just to stick to a calorie deficit. As long as you are at a calorie deficit you will lose weight.

Stress eating I don't know how to deal with because I don't eat while I'm stressed. If I'm stressed I go for a walk, play guitar, or go outside with my dog.
  • d0v3r13
    d0v3r13 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i suggest going with what will fit your lifestyle. if making an overhaul to paleo is easiest because you have a simple grocery list and don't have to measure things go with it. if you have time to research food and the energy to put the things you learn to use, then go for something more specific. if you want to be able to enjoy the food you have but learn appropriate portions then calorie counting is the way to go.

personally, if i restrict foods from my diet i tend to obsess over what i can't have and end up bingeing and never lose any weight. now that i'm calorie counting i just naturally tend to eat healthier most of the time because i understand what having a burger and fries will cost me from my calorie budget. its been extremely successful for me, as i've lost 30lbs in 3 months and never have binged on anything during the whole time.

there are going to be people who swear by what they personally do, and will tell you if you don't do it that way, then you're doing it wrong. but i don't think its one size fits all. i've seen different people have equal success to each other on their preferred method.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Lots of ways to skin the cat. In my case, I just eat what I always ate but just track the calories so I eat less of it. Simple to remember, but it's a bit of a hassle even with the phone-based tracking tool.

Sorry, can't help with the stress eating.
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Doesn't MFP give you calorie goals for carbs and such? Use them. Stay within these goals. Focus on that. That's what I would do.
  • Fig_1946
    Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter one bit what time you eat fruit or bread or fish or whatever. Your body can't tell time. What DOES matter is how much you take in. Portion size and the amount of calories is what counts.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Anything you hear that puts time constraints on when you should eat or time constraints on certain foods is total BS. It makes zero difference when you eat. When you wade through all the dieting BS, and get down to the truth it's actually pretty simple to set up a diet plan for yourself.

First decide how many calories a day you should be eating based on your goals (weight loss, weight gain, maintenance). In your case you want to lose weight so you can either use the MFP default strategy, or you can go with the TDEE method.

As far as WHAT to eat, basically whatever you want. All you have to do is set up proper macro goals (fat, protein, carbs) for yourself as well as micronutrient (vitamins and minerals) and fiber goals. Once that is done, you just need to hit those goals everyday while eating what you enjoy, it's that simple.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Doesn't MFP give you calorie goals for carbs and such? Use them. Stay within these goals. Focus on that. That's what I would do.

No, the MFP default macro goals are ridiculous. Carbs are way too high, protein is way too low, they definitely need adjusting.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

^^THIS. It's an excellent read. Check it out.

And, yes, it's really just proper calorie deficit. For most of us, that's all about portion control.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie regardless if it comes from cookies or carrots, protein, fat or carbs. It's pretty simple on MFP--calories in versus calories out. Simply meaning eat less--move more.

The only one that really works. All of these weird fad diets, have only resulted in people getting fatter.

With only 18 pounds to lose you probably should set your settings to 1 pound per week. Only the super obese, or those who are accustomed to eating 4 to 7000 calories a day can go on a calorie deficit of less than 1500 per day and lose several pounds a week, at first. As they continue to lose weight. they slow down also.

Anyway--Welcome--you can do this!
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Lots of ways to skin the cat. In my case, I just eat what I always ate but just track the calories so I eat less of it. Simple to remember, but it's a bit of a hassle even with the phone-based tracking tool.

eh? Did you eat your cat???
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set to 1550 does not seem too low and yeah I have tried cutting things out and it did not work, whatever I cut out would turn into an obsession lol. So basically what I am understanding is forget time, forget cutting anything out, and just stick to your calories, make better choices and watch your portion sizing. Seems simple enough. I will read all those articles you guys sent but I definetly feel a lot better knowing I am not going to go crazy staring at a piece of fruit and being like well its 2:01 cant eat it anymore or my *kitten* will expand. Thanks guys
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options

eh? Did you eat your cat???

Why not? He fit my macros.
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    99 44/100% of it is guesswork, unjustified extrapolations and claptrap. To learn what's healthy eating for both you and your 4-year-old, go the Harvard's NutritionSource and take a look at the "healthy eating plate."

Once you know how to structure a good and nutritious menu for you and your child, you can adjust amounts to help your child grow and you "shrink."

And then you can decide if any of the variations suggested by other diets -- hi-carb-lo-carb-hi-fat-lo-fat-paleo-clean-intermittent-fasting-six-meals-one-meal-cheat-days-juicing-etc., if any, you might want to try.
  • veg56kg
    veg56kg Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Fad diets aren't going to get you anywhere, do what works best for you! Personally, I eat high carb out of coincidence but even if I eat more fat than usual it doesnt hurt my progress. On top of that, fruit will NOT make you fat. I eat it all day every day. With every meal and as a snack. I've lost 22 lbs! Fruit is easy to digest, naturally sweet and 100% healthy. It doesn't matter what time you eat fruit and I prefer my non-fruit carbs (pasta,bread,etc) around lunch or dinner. No paticular reason though! As for calories, I recommend calculating you TDEE and creating a calorie deficit with exercise. Good luck! <3
  • gslowry
    gslowry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi;
    Dr Fuhrmans--eat mostly fruits and vegetables! Dont go on a diet just change your eating habits. You can eat all the fruits and veggies you want!