I am sure this is a dumb question but

Options
2»

Replies

• LakeCountyDiver
    LakeCountyDiver Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I dont weigh a thing. Everything i buy has a weight on it so i just do math. I will use volume measurments (cups,tsp,ect) but dont use a scale.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It always makes me sad when the meat shrinks!!

In so many way.... *nods*
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It depends what database entry you are using. For example, the one I use for chicken is: Cooked Chicken breast per ounce. So I weigh it cooked. Its easier to cut off the portion I want after its done, and if its leftovers in the fridge its easier that way too.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I generally weigh before cooking, unless it's grilled chicken breast I pre-cooked. Then I just make sure to log it as "chicken breast grilled." Enjoy your new scale!
  • maccaria
    maccaria Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    the only dumb question is an unasked one :)
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a dumb question :-) I say weigh after. That's the amount you are actually consuming.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a dumb question.

Better embarrassment than ignorance.

And yeah you weigh before....

Which isn't fair when you cook on a George Foreman grill
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If you live alone, you can weigh food when you buy it.

Counting kilojoules always drove me crazy, too much detail and I ended up obsessing about food because I had to weigh every damn thing that I was preparing.

My solution was to buy food and just weigh it when it arrives in the house, and divide the kilojoules by the number of days I expected to eat it. So if I bought a bag of apples, I just weighed the bag and then divided by say 5 days to eat them, makes life much simpler. Obviously you can't do this if you live with someone, and you'd need to allow for throwing out food that was uneaten, but it made my life much easier.
  • tiffanyagee2003
    Options
    I was wondering about this too. What about oatmeal? One serving is 1/2cup. So is that dry or cooked?. I know some packages specify but this one didn't
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Watch out for pasta and rice, a bag may say portion size is x amount and x of calories, but that's cooked weight sometimes. So if you weigh dried, you end up with about 2 1/2 times what you should have in the case of rice - which definitely wont help the diet!!

It varies on brand, so just check the label. If the portions and calories are listed in cooked weight, then you can find the information on line about how much it is in dried weight.

With rice it's about 2 1/2 times the weight once cooked.

I used to get caught out all the time until I realised this!

I look on the box and see how many servings it makes, then divide that by the dry weight on the box. A box of pasta that makes 10 servings and is 16 oz. means that one serving is 1.6 oz dry. I write it on the box so I remember.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If you live alone, you can weigh food when you buy it.

Counting kilojoules always drove me crazy, too much detail and I ended up obsessing about food because I had to weigh every damn thing that I was preparing.

My solution was to buy food and just weigh it when it arrives in the house, and divide the kilojoules by the number of days I expected to eat it. So if I bought a bag of apples, I just weighed the bag and then divided by say 5 days to eat them, makes life much simpler. Obviously you can't do this if you live with someone, and you'd need to allow for throwing out food that was uneaten, but it made my life much easier.

I do that with things like cheese that is packaged as 8 oz.. I cut it into 4 - 2 oz pieces and if I am not perfect on one, it will be corrected when I eat the rest. I also do this with recipes. I weigh and measure as I am making it, then if it is 4 servings, I eat it for 4 days and count each day's serving as 1/4 of the recipe while eyeballing the actual serving.