Am I setting myself for failure with this plan?

Options
I'm new here. I joined a year ago but never really got started. My goal is to lose 25 lbs, but I am giving myself a really long window- 1 year (by my 40th birthday) in August 2015.

I am 38, 5'7" and weigh 169 lbs. I am very healthy (thank God) and exercise about 3 times a week. I have never really been overweight per se in spite the 4 kids but over the last couple of years since starting SSRIs I've put on 20+ lbs taking me over a healthy BMI. I lost 10 lbs in a month in June drinking lots of green smoothies for breakfast and lunch, but it was (obviously) not sustainable. I used to do Atkins and could drop weight fast like that, but for emotional health reasons, I can't go back to low carbs. I need whole grains, and healthy carbs to function well, have energy, and be nice to hubby and four kids.

So, there's no easy way out for me this time! I want to jump in full force, but from my experimenting over the last few weeks with getting started here I think I need Baby Steps. For me, just logging my calories and eating at maintenance instead of gaining would be a big step.

This is my plan. Do you think it id ridiculously slow and therefore destined to fail? Is it too lazy of an approach to my weight loss? Obvious pitfalls?

August- Eat at maintenance (2000 calories) while logging daily, and making choices that support my mental health best (whole grains, veggies, fish, lean meats).

September- 1900 calories, October 1800, November - August of next year- 1700 calories. (Including during the holidays- scary)

Mathematically, this works as I did all the calculations of how many calories I need to cut out to lose 25 lbs in a year, and then titrated it down like this. I'm just not sure if it makes sense practically in terms of what you guys have seen work for people in terms of commitment, approach, methods.

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback!

Replies

• DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds great.

Since it's almost the exact opposite of what you've tried before, maybe it'll work where those other things failed :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds great...the less you have to lose, the slower you should go to ensure that most of your loss is actual fat and not a bunch of muscle mass. I'm on my last 10 or so Lbs to get to where I'd really like to be and I'm pretty happy if I lose about 1-2 Lbs per month as a general trend. I'm way more focused on my fitness aspirations at this point than I am the scale...
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds great.

Since it's almost the exact opposite of what you've tried before, maybe it'll work where those other things failed :)
    +1
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    It's pretty fantastic because technically you can always build logging as a skill in and of itself, then start adding on/implementing your deficit plan
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I came into this thread with the knee jerk, "YES, probably" (given the title--my apologies for such a prejudice--bad day for me).

But...what a refreshing attitude toward your health. I agree with others that starting at maintenance while getting the hang of logging (it is science and art, for sure) is a very wise choice. Go SLOW! Health (both mental and physical) always should come first. Thank you for that--we ALL need to be reminded of that sometimes!

Sounds healthy, appropriate, and sustainable. Be flexible with yourself, adjust if necessary, and truck on!:drinker:
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think this is what weight loss is all about. Thinking of new ways to loose the weight trying it out and tweeking it if necessary. You have nothing to loose but 25lbs, best of luck!
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options

August- Eat at maintenance (2000 calories) while logging daily, and making choices that support my mental health best (whole grains, veggies, fish, lean meats).

September- 1900 calories, October 1800, November - August of next year- 1700 calories. (Including during the holidays- scary)

It isn't bad. But I would think of dropping the calories a little faster. The reason being thanksgiving, Christmas, new years, and Valentines day. Halloween too if you are into that. But is is a holiday every month that has a lot of social eating for sweets. If you can cut down faster it will give longer to adjust to less food so you can feel full faster during the holidays so you are less likely to go way over the calorie amount.
    Once you are tracking your everyday for a month you will find it easier to do. It just a new habit you form. You will do great.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I think it's realistic, you just need to stick with it. With 25 pounds to lose, be trilled about a 1 pound loss, then it will slow down to 1/2 then be happy with a 1/4 pound loss a week.

Calories in versus calories out.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    25 pounds in a year for someone your size who isn't actually that overweight seems perfectly reasonable to me. It only seems slow in comparison to those who "plan" to lose weight at 2 pounds a week even though they only have 25 pounds to lose. Notice the quotes around the word plan.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I always recommend people doing maintenance first. Nobody ever does, though. Everyone is in a hurry to lose weight.

It's taken me a year to lose 66 pounds, and I'm planning on another year for the last 25-30. Doing it slowly is awesome because you get to eat more. Keep this in mind, because you may never need to drop your calories as low as 1700. Just a thought.

Your plan sounds sensible and simple. I'll expect your post in the Success Stories section of the forums in one year's time... :bigsmile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    With your plan to start out slow and lose it slow, you are DEFINITELY postured for SUCCESS!

Slow and easy does it. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

It isn't bad. But I would think of dropping the calories a little faster. The reason being thanksgiving, Christmas, new years, and Valentines day. Halloween too if you are into that. But is is a holiday every month that has a lot of social eating for sweets. If you can cut down faster it will give longer to adjust to less food so you can feel full faster during the holidays so you are less likely to go way over the calorie amount.
    Once you are tracking your everyday for a month you will find it easier to do. It just a new habit you form. You will do great.
    I disagree with this. If you want to lose weight by a certain time, you need to start earlier. Slower the better. That's the way I did it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I disagree with this. If you want to lose weight by a certain time, you need to start earlier. Slower the better. That's the way I did it.

Yep. And during the magical non-October through December months when it's easier to lose weight, there could always be events and such that come up and cause over eating regardless. Any lessons learned doing it slowly should carry forward and apply throughout the year.
  • bukowski_shine
    bukowski_shine Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    What's the use of 1 month of maintenance?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Knowing your true maintenance calories is incredibly useful information - once the weight loss phase is over that's what you will be doing for the rest of your life. Building habits that make maintenance sustainable is far more valuable than rushing your weight loss.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Knowing your true maintenance calories is incredibly useful information - once the weight loss phase is over that's what you will be doing for the rest of your life. Building habits that make maintenance sustainable is far more valuable than rushing your weight loss.

Creating a mental environment where not only binging is less likely but reasonable early success confirms intention, reduces risk of depression, etc (note OP is taking a treatment) and where new habits are being structured is excellent.

OP, my only suggestion is that you consider a larger step down after your initial equilibrium state. Seeing change will also help in confirming that things are moving forward. Don't double guess yourself once you start.

Slower programs sometimes fall into gumption traps - know them and avoid them....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumption_trap
  • rachaelbeech
    rachaelbeech Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    sounds perfect I don't think you will struggle with this. its a great idea youve set yourself a long term goal and a realistic way of getting there. wish you the best of luck
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I m not sure it's gonna work as calculated. Firstly there is no room for an error , secondly, too slow might leave u unsatisfied with result.
    20% deficit out of tdee is golden rule IMO. Besides last few pounds of fat will take a lot of time to get rid of. Include weight training too
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Great point.

Congrats on your 33 pound lost! (Hmm. . . I don't know if this reply went to the right post, lol.)
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds great.

Good point. Thanks for your feedback and congrats on your 33 lb lost!