Squatting advice wanted !

I've been stuck at body weight squats for some time now just because I'm trying to perfect my form. I've read tons of posts and watched videos. I feel an intense burn In my quads. I've read that some people are quad dominant and squats don't work as well. I also have reached back to make sure my glutes are contracting and they are, yet I haven't seen any gains.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar but had gains? Cuz that would give me a great deal of motivation and inspiration to know that I don't necessarily need to feel a burn in my glutes to know the squats are working

Thanks !

Replies

• baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    can you clarify what you mean by gains?
  • ZaCkOX
    ZaCkOX Posts: 115
    I've been stuck at body weight squats for some time now just because I'm trying to perfect my form. I've read tons of posts and watched videos. I feel an intense burn In my quads. I've read that some people are quad dominant and squats don't work as well. I also have reached back to make sure my glutes are contracting and they are, yet I haven't seen any gains.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar but had gains? Cuz that would give me a great deal of motivation and inspiration to know that I don't necessarily need to feel a burn in my glutes to know the squats are working

Thanks !

Do you want to increase squat weight? Or just looks? If you want to increase squat weight, you just go for it. You get gains from the heavy weight. I used to start at 300 weighing 190 lbs. That was my start, 300x10 then move up.
  • ilovepink143
    ilovepink143 Posts: 7 Member
    I shouldn't have said gains, sorry. Not really looking to build muscle atm more to tone and get a better form.
  • ilovepink143
    Also, in anyone's opinion, do I need to be lifting heavy weight if I want to really round out my booty ?
    I really am clueless to all of this.
  • ZaCkOX
    ZaCkOX Posts: 115
    Also, in anyone's opinion, do I need to be lifting heavy weight if I want to really round out my booty ?
    I really am clueless to all of this.

If you do thousands your butt will be nice anyway. Girls used to comment about mine. ;)

Just add it to your exercises, it is one hell of an exercise.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Bodyweight squats really are not going to do anything for your glutes. You would be better off looking into a hypertrophy program such as Strong Curves by Bret Contreras.

As a side note, the term "toning" refers to either reducing bodyfat or building muscle. In essense, it is a term that is sort of meaningless.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Somewhat of a recomposition is possible by lifting heavy but if you want to see a gain in size/muscle you will have to eat at a caloric surplus. I recommend looking into Bret Contreras' Strong Curves program.
  • ilovepink143
    Thanks guys ! I've actually read some of Brett's blog . I will look into it!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Happy to help.