Help! Scale is not moving...

Options
I'm 5'5, 151 lbs. I follow a 1350 calorie restriction and I'm always at the gym drenched in sweat. I do lots of cardio, weight lifting and go to zumba, kickboxing and Jillian Michaels body shred once a week (all classes). Sometimes I go to the gym twice a day. I'm usually there 5 days a week. It's been just a little over a month and the scale hasn't budged. Anyone care to pick at my diary or offer suggestions and advice? Help, I'm so discouraged. I'm just trying to lose 20 lbs!

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    your diary is at present friends-only.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It has only been a month. You probably just haven't lost enough fat to see it on the scale relative to the increase in water retention f4om your exercise load. 4 weeks is not a long time and there is no way to know based on a scale if you are losing fat or not over such a short time period.
  • jmlynar
    jmlynar Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    your diary is at present friends-only.

Sorry just changed the settings now.
  • jmlynar
    Options
    It has only been a month. You probably just haven't lost enough fat to see it on the scale relative to the increase in water retention f4om your exercise load. 4 weeks is not a long time and there is no way to know based on a scale if you are losing fat or not over such a short time period.

Also my measurements have stays relatively the same too.
  • kellinielson
    Options
    Try eating fewer carbs (but definitely some carbs!) and more protein. Have protein at every meal. And eat more calories of clean, whole grain foods and lean protein. A good place to go is Jamie Eason's Live Fit program. She has meal guidelines and exercise plans.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise burned calories? If so that could be a problem. MFP tends to over estimate those, and it's never a good idea to eat back more than 1/2. It defeats the purpose of weight loss, and sometimes people end up over eating their workouts.

Are you logging in everything, including what you're drinking? Sports drinks are loaded with calories. Are you weighing your food?

If you're doing everything right, it's physically impossible not to lose weight. At your height and weight don't expect it to come off quickly. Be happy with a pound a week, and that will slow to 1/2 pound and then even 1/4 pound loss a week.
  • LAT1963
    Options
    My approach to dieting has been to limit carbohydrate rather than fat. For my body, fat makes me feel full so that I don't over-shoot my calorie targets.

The dietary fat % in the 1960's, era of thin people, was 45%. The anti-fat crusade was initiated to combat heart disease, not weight per se, because heart disease was a big public health issue and weight was not.

We've learned since then that it is not "fat" but particular *kinds* of fat that are the problem (eg: trans fats).

Back in the old days, conventional wisdom was that "bread and potatoes will make you fat". Maybe grandma was right.

You've tried a low fat approach for a month and it didn't work well for you. Consider trying a low carb/moderate fat approach and see if your body does better on it.

My theory is that metabolic pathways are complex and all it takes is a mis-match in the rate of a couple of enzymes to throw the whole thing out of whack and make you fat. We each need to find the dietary composition that works for our particular enzymatic quirks to maintain ideal weight. For some folk it's fat restriction. For others its carb restriction.

The low carb version you can substitute bacon for your pasta...
  • jmlynar
    Options
    My approach to dieting has been to limit carbohydrate rather than fat. For my body, fat makes me feel full so that I don't over-shoot my calorie targets.

The dietary fat % in the 1960's, era of thin people, was 45%. The anti-fat crusade was initiated to combat heart disease, not weight per se, because heart disease was a big public health issue and weight was not.

We've learned since then that it is not "fat" but particular *kinds* of fat that are the problem (eg: trans fats).

Back in the old days, conventional wisdom was that "bread and potatoes will make you fat". Maybe grandma was right.

You've tried a low fat approach for a month and it didn't work well for you. Consider trying a low carb/moderate fat approach and see if your body does better on it.

My theory is that metabolic pathways are complex and all it takes is a mis-match in the rate of a couple of enzymes to throw the whole thing out of whack and make you fat. We each need to find the dietary composition that works for our particular enzymatic quirks to maintain ideal weight. For some folk it's fat restriction. For others its carb restriction.

The low carb version you can substitute bacon for your pasta...

Thank you! I do love my carbs and feel like sometimes I need it for an intense workout. I will definitely try this.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Also my measurements have stays relatively the same too.

If you are expecting your measurements to obviously change over the period of 4 weeks your expectations are pretty high. This is a long term process.

Also I must say if that is your exercise load then your calorie goal is VERY low unless that is your net goal (meaning you eat back your exercise calories and aim to net 1350). If you are eating only 1350 and working out that much I'd question that.
  • jmlynar
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise burned calories? If so that could be a problem. MFP tends to over estimate those, and it's never a good idea to eat back more than 1/2. It defeats the purpose of weight loss, and sometimes people end up over eating their workouts.

Are you logging in everything, including what you're drinking? Sports drinks are loaded with calories. Are you weighing your food?

If you're doing everything right, it's physically impossible not to lose weight. At your height and weight don't expect it to come off quickly. Be happy with a pound a week, and that will slow to 1/2 pound and then even 1/4 pound loss a week.

I've been so confused about the eating calories back but have decided to not eat them back. You're right, I shouldn't expect it to come right off quickly.
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey! I had a quick look at your diary. The only thing I can think of is that you're not burning as many calories as you think you are. Machines at the gym and My Fitness Pal are often inaccurate when it comes to calories burned. Do you wear a heart monitor? This would probably give a more accurate reading.

This doesn't mean you're not doing a good job. You are! Your food diary looks great. It just means weight loss is a slow process. Keep on going!
  • jmlynar
    Options
    I'm 5'5, 151 lbs. I follow a 1350 calorie restriction and I'm always at the gym drenched in sweat. I do lots of cardio, weight lifting and go to zumba, kickboxing and Jillian Michaels body shred once a week (all classes). Sometimes I go to the gym twice a day. I'm usually there 5 days a week. It's been just a little over a month and the scale hasn't budged. Anyone care to pick at my diary or offer suggestions and advice? Help, I'm so discouraged. I'm just trying to lose 20 lbs!

Well, ask yourself this, do you think you can keep doing what you’re doing for the rest of your life? It’s very unrealistic.

I don’t understand why people get super exercise gung ho. Here’s the problem, You can either exercise hard and short, or long and soft. As you said yourself you’re doing a lot of cardio. Excessive cardio actually prevents weight loss.

Moderate intensity-> adaptation->slowed metabolic rate-> no weight loss.

Only option are, do more cardio, reduce your calories, or stop the madness. You’re having a great negative impact on your hormones doing what you’re doing. Shoot for a standard calorie deficit, in your case probably about 500 calories a day, and that’s it. No need to get all crazy about it.

You really put things into perspective. I have been a bit bat**** crazy because I keep feeling discouraged so I push myself over the limit.
  • jmlynar
    Options
    Hey! I had a quick look at your diary. The only thing I can think of is that you're not burning as many calories as you think you are. Machines at the gym and My Fitness Pal are often inaccurate when it comes to calories burned. Do you wear a heart monitor? This would probably give a more accurate reading.

This doesn't mean you're not doing a good job. You are! Your food diary looks great. It just means weight loss is a slow process. Keep on going!

I think I'm going to invest in a heart rate monitor. Thank you :)
  • jmlynar
    Options
    Try eating fewer carbs (but definitely some carbs!) and more protein. Have protein at every meal. And eat more calories of clean, whole grain foods and lean protein. A good place to go is Jamie Eason's Live Fit program. She has meal guidelines and exercise plans.

I love my carbs... You're right. Thank you
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Your food diary looks good, but you do seem to be under on your protein on several occasions. Perhaps try to get more protein and a tad less carbs?

I know that MFP over estimates calorie burn a lot of the listed exercises, so you might want to adjust those down a bit.

Great job on so much exercise!
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You should check measurements and body fat percentage too. Scales can change drastically due to water retention.
  • LAT1963
    Options
    I limit carbs, seek protein, and don't worry about the fat unless it goes over 45% for the day.

Weight loss may be a matter of calories in vs. calories out, but *satiety* is NOT. The chemistry of those calories matters in terms of triggering your body's sense of being "full". Fat calories make me feel more full than an equal number of carb calories, which makes it easier for me to stick to my calorie limits if I am allowing fats.
  • danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Pretty please read this:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/#axzz36vOWb1Gx

It just might change your life.
    I was in the same boat, exercised hard 5 days a week, ate a low fat diet and ate around 1250 cal a day (after removing the exercised calories) but for one month I didn't loose anything. I was heart broken and after searching I found marksdailyapple.com, I read and read but it was the opposite of what I was doing; I didn't want to change but after two more weeks of no weight loss I said to myself that it can't hurt to try it for 3 weeks.
    It was almost 2 months ago and I can't tell you what a difference it made for me. I lost 20lb since then and my before and after pictures were Wow!

Try Primal for 3 weeks and see how it works for you, you don't have anything to loose at this point.