Is 1000 calories too little?

Options

Replies

• GenuineHeather
    Options
    No its not to little. But the problem is your appetite. You have to find food or beverages that suppress your appetite. You will eat less during the day and not have to struggle with your brain tricking you into thinking your hungry. I use synedrex and it suppresses my appetite through the day. My calories was 1200 to 1500 a day. Now its like 500 to 1000, or whatever I so choose cause im raely hungry. Also green tea suppresses it too. Try my advice and let me know cause what works for me may not work for someone else.

That is really, amazingly, tragically bad advice.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    honestly it depends on your activity levels/lifestyle and weight/height and age. they say 1200 is the basic minimum, but ive read several places that some people on the shorter side (like me) are okay with 1100-1400 with an unactive or lightly active lifestyle. but it's only a little lower for me as i'm barely 5 feet tall haha. i would definitely increase to at least 1200-1300 if you're feeling sick or lightheaded or lethargic. especiallllllyyyyyyyyyy if you exercise frequently. hope you feel better soon!
  • GenuineHeather
    Options
    1000 calories as a daily goal is okay, IF you are consuming enough to cover your daily exercise. In other words, if you burn 750 calories exercising, you need to eat at least 1750 calories that day. However, I think 1000 calories is a bit tough to start with. I'd go for a more realistic (and less painful) 1200 calorie goal. MFP should be guiding you correctly, if you are diligent and pay close attention to your nutrition.

Also note that the more you exercise, the more protein you require. The challenge is getting your protein from healthy sources, without all the accompanying fat and calories. On days of intense exercise, I've started using protein powders to make healthy smoothies to make up the deficit. Seems to work for me.

Exercise is really the key to success. Diet alone isn't going to cut it, if you want to experience healthy weight loss. The worst thing you can possibly do is try to starve your body, or resort to weight loss drugs. Losing isn't that hard, it's just a matter of science. Exercise daily, count your calories, drink plenty of water, and monitor your nutrition. Put forth persistent effort, and with a little patience, the pounds will melt away.
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    OP is in the middle of the healthy weight range for her (?) height. She is exercising up to 8 times a week, talking about eating 1000 calories, and has no specific weight-loss goals. Suggestion, if she is not a troll, that is - think about maintaining your weight, and recompositioning - increasing your muscle mass, by weight training.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    I'm 18, 5'3 and 125 lbs. I exercise 3-8 times per week. Is 1500 good for that?

Why does your profile page say you are 23?

I had a look at it to see how old you were to formulate my reply , before seeing this post.

My reply is still the same though - 1000 calories is not enough. 1200 could be enough if you are older, shorter and
    sedentary.

However you are not so short, and are certainly not older so I doubt even 1200 is enough.
    You don't have a lot to lose - I suspect you have set data to say you want to lose 2lb per week. With not that much to lose, this is too aggressive.

To give you a comparison - I am about your height, I set myself as lightly active, and I am nearly 30 years older than you.
    I lost successfully on 1460.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, MFP official forum guidelines prohibit my reply to your questions. Sorry!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, MFP official forum guidelines prohibit my reply to your questions. Sorry!

Thank goodness for MFP official guidelines :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Put that information into MFP and let it tell you what you need to eat. That's how I've lost my weight.

Yes - technically.

MFP will tell you how many NET calories based upon "I want to lose XX pounds per week"

OP - If you want to lose 10 pounds or less in total.....put 1/2 pound a week into MFP. Then MFP will add calories if you add exercise.

But, if you don't want to do that you can use TDEE less a small percent....or less 250 calories (1/2 pound a week). TDEE should include all exercise up front and averages. This gives you consistency across days.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • boothejennifer
    boothejennifer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I sortive had this question although in a way I feel like I cannot eat more than 1200 cals a day to lose weight; reason being that I am only 4'9", about to be 37 and my healthy weight range is between 84-114 lbs.
    I am currently 130 lbs and still on the high side of overweight although I am a size 8/10 and small tops.
    MFP tells me to eat 1200 cals a day & I have def hit a weight loss plateau.....
    I have increased my exercise drastically to see if that helps but I do think someone of my height cannot expect to eat as much as an average height person and maintain a healthy weigh....I am the height of a 10 year old.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options

Wait, your profile says you're 23. Which is it?

And what are you doing for exercise?
  • JennsFood33
    Options
    If your 18, 5'3" & 125lbs and you think you need to lose weight. STOP looking at models and thinking that is real. Those women don't look like that in real life, ain't nothing more than airbrushing. Women have fat on their bodies. It's what lets us make the babies. Women who do not keep a healthy body weight can stop having periods and make themselves very ill. You may think your not anorexia but your certainly showing signs of it here. Eat healthy, stay active and learn to love yourself that is much better than any diet.
  • melindabrock
    melindabrock Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be mean but your account looks kind of fishy I mean you say your 5'3 and 125lbs but your profile says you want to lose 30lbs... that seems like you have a problem. Im no professional at all but 95lbs is small for any height I think
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    No its not to little. But the problem is your appetite. You have to find food or beverages that suppress your appetite. You will eat less during the day and not have to struggle with your brain tricking you into thinking your hungry. I use synedrex and it suppresses my appetite through the day. My calories was 1200 to 1500 a day. Now its like 500 to 1000, or whatever I so choose cause im raely hungry. Also green tea suppresses it too. Try my advice and let me know cause what works for me may not work for someone else.

Nicole-Scherzinger-no-baby-no.gif

What kind of advise is this?? You are killing yourself at this point and your body knows it is starving so it goes into salvation mode, shutting down metabolism. Hence, little to no weight loss after a short while. Might work at first but will quickly do damage to your system. If you look at pictures of the most fit women on MFP they are eating well over 1000 calories. More like 1400-1500+. And they eat back about 50% of the calories burned during a workout. How about eat better, non-processed foods, sustainable calories, nominal amounts of carbs and fats and eat lots of protein. Then exercise to tone up, build endurance, agility and strength. (plus look good) That is how the most successful people get it done.
  • veryprettypink
    Options
    I don't know why it says 30... I want to lose 10-15.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    How can you be typing things like "I feel ill" and "I feel a tightness in my chest" and still need to ask this question? I'm not saying you DO have an eating disorder, but people who have eating disorders tend to ignore obvious signs that they're eating too little in favor of losing weight.
  • FairyPrincess2015
    FairyPrincess2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you been losing prior to you start weight here?
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be mean but your account looks kind of fishy I mean you say your 5'3 and 125lbs but your profile says you want to lose 30lbs... that seems like you have a problem. Im no professional at all but 95lbs is small for any height I think

^This
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    yeah. That is too little. I eat about 1200-1300 a day. Any less, and I will feel sick
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm smaller and older -- 5'1.5" and 55 -- I plateau'd at a 1200 net, eating back exercise calories. I tried going below 1100 following CRON (calorie restriction with optimal nutrition) but couldn't handle being light headed on days I worked out. so I would say at your age and height, you need to eat more than 1000, and your light-headedness is the result of eating too little.