calories burned

Options
I am a little confused with my calories burned, I recently purchased a HRM and today with my work out it said that I burned 499 calories but MFP for general aerobics states for 30 minutes I burned 247 calories? Has anyone else experienced this? Did I possibly get a crappy HRM?

Replies

• tmogs
    tmogs Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi Shelly,
    Mine sometimes say i burned more and sometimes it says i burn less

When I'm running outside I've notice the MFP give me more calories burned than what I actually burned

When working out to Turbo Fire it gives me way less

But MFP is a guesstamation from when you first added your activity and put your number of how many calories burn. It goes off that first number. So you can just change it to what your hrm says and you'll find in time the MFP calculator will become accurate. Hope this helps
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yes, always take the HRM over MFP. But don't forget that most HRM's don't subtract resting heart rate so you need to subtract the calories you would burn anyway (usually between 90 and 120 per hour for most people)
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    yes, always take the HRM over MFP. But don't forget that most HRM's don't subtract resting heart rate so you need to subtract the calories you would burn anyway (usually between 90 and 120 per hour for most people)

I think this is where I messed up. I wasn't subtracting that out of the resting heart rate #'s and I was eating those calories and the weightloss stopped.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It is highly doubtful that you burned 499 calories in 30 min. It's hard to give precise reasons without knowing more details. However, there are 2 areas to look at: A) your max heart rate is higher than the 220-age standard used by the HRM setup, so the HRM thinks you.are working harder than you actually are; B) you got an HRM that uses poor technology to estimate calories. Or both.
  • shellywoodworth
    shellywoodworth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for being so helpful, my HRM does not have a chest strap so I may consider getting one of those instead. Thanks again!