New here and ready to do this

Options
Hi! I have been up and down with my weight, mostly up. I did manage to lose 20 lbs this summer but I have gained half of it back following a scare of cancer this summer. Food is my comfort and I am ready to find something else to comfort me. I am a single mom of an almost 17 year old and 12 year old. I need to get myself healthy for not only myself, but them and my other love ones. Not to mention my 20 year class reunion is fastly approaching and I want to look close to what I did when I graduated. I have zero energy and a lot of back pain. I know losing weight would help these issues as well. It is hard dieting/losing weight. I need the support and encouragement of others to give me that boost of self esteem. I know that I will do this!!!!

Replies

• chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats for making a life changing decision to be healthy! If I can help in anyway, just reach out.
  • tmogs
    tmogs Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    WELCOME {hugs} Let's do this!
  • racharla
    racharla Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    welcome aboard ... lets do this... good luck
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck :smile:
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it! Good luck!
  • aghack
    aghack Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site! I am pretty new, too- but I find this extremely encouraging. I have a 15 year old and an 8 year old, and I am so embarrasssed to be the 'chunky' mom. My husband runs marathons and my son runs cross country, so they are very supportive of a healthy lifestyle. But they are so far ahead of me in fitness goals that I really lean on the people here. It definitely helps!
  • Evasher
    Options
    We are all in this together. You took the first step. Be proud of every increment. Choices will become easier. First, I want to be healthy forever. I would also like to be 40 pounds lighter, at least, for my grandson's wedding though he has not announced his engagement. I go to OA meetings in addition to this forum that helps me track my calories, pay more attention to food labels, learn others' food habits, and track my exercise. Two sayings that have helped me over the years are "If you are in the kitchen after 6:30 p.m., it is the wrong place to be." and "Create a setting to enjoy your food. Anything in your mouth as you leave the house or walk down the hall at work is excess." Thank you for allowing me to read that in black and white again! For today, let's enjoy what is beautiful and practice forgiveness for our actions. This is perfect time of year to start.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.
    Try not to think of it as a Diet ( in my opinion .. diets never work because they are too restrictive) .. this is a lifestyle change. Eat what you like within recommended portions and limits and burn calories and most importantly .. have fun :)