13,000 calories in the past three days

2»

Replies

• Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this and I'm glad you're reaching out to others, but the techniques to treat ED are very specialized. How often do you see your dietician/ therapist? Is it possible to increase your check-ins? In addition to the individual therapy, does your therapist know of any ED group therapy in your area? Can you develop a "crisis plan" with your therapist where you know what to do if you were literally unable to stop binging in spite of upping your calories to 2000 per day. From what I read, that won't happen, but maybe having a plan (like who to call, or where to go, what to do) will help you feel more comfortable eating the amount you need to.
    Your crisis plan should include your support network. Who can you call when you are having those strong urges to chit chat and get your mind off of what you are dealing with?
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Binge eating is the mirror image of anorexia/bulemia. Essentially they are different coping mechanisms.

Often this results from a feeling of being out of control. Food is something you can control - eating too little, eating too much, eating it and then vomiting it back up. Whatever. They're all variations on the same theme.

At the heart of it, how you deal with food is a symptom not the disease itself. You are likely having trouble getting a proper perspective on your eating habits because it's not the root of your problem.

It's kind of like trying to constantly deal with water on the floor by using first a mop...then a sponge....then a towel....You keep trying different things, but you can't get all the water. Why? Because you haven't turned off the faucet. Until you do, you're *never* going to be able to mop up all the water.

Obviously I don't know you or your history. But there's something in there which is manifesting itself in your relationship with food, and that's what you need to work with your therapist on uncovering and dealing with.

A dietitian can help with your nutrition and dealing with your symptoms, but it's going to take some really intensive work with your therapist to deal with the underlying issues, whatever they may be.

If you'd like to send a friend request, I'd be happy to talk further about this more privately. But, in any case, I will reiterate the recommendations of the other commenters to work with your medical professionals as this is well beyond the scope of an internet forum like this.