Blu Ray Player questions

Fieldsy
Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
I want to get a Blu Ray player, but was wondering a few things.

What does playback mean? I have seen stuff like .5 second playback or 2 second playback.

Also, I want to stream netflix on my blu ray. Does the netflix movies come in 1080p that I stream off the internet? My tv and blu ray will be in 1080 and wasn't sure if the movies I streamed would be.

Thanks

Replies

• MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Get a Playstation 3. WI FI connectability, Blue Ray player, and game sytem in one package. Netflicks should work on that just fine.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    The netflix stream will not come through as 1080p, they will be standard 480p resolution. Not sure on playback.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    +1 on playstation 3 - does bluray, netflix and also granturismo 5 !
  • Fieldsy
    PS3s are 300 dollars. A Blu Ray is about 100. I will not play video games on it so that seems pointless for me right?

What are the pros of getting internet on your blu ray besides netflix? Updating firmware?
  • Fieldsy
    The netflix stream will not come through as 1080p, they will be standard 480p resolution. Not sure on playback.

Damn, I was hoping it would be in atleast 720....
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    PS3s are 300 dollars. A Blu Ray is about 100. I will not play video games on it so that seems pointless for me right?

What are the pros of getting internet on your blu ray besides netflix? Updating firmware?

It would be mainly for streaming movies.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    About the internet connectivity... I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong; however, this is what I've found in reading about several different blu-ray players over the last week (santa is shopping :laugh: ).

If you're looking for wi-fi on the blu-ray player there are "wi-fi ready" and "wi-fi built in" models.... the "wi-fi ready" players usually have an additional adapter piece (around $100 more) you have to buy.

You're limited to whatever services are "built in" to the player you buy... i.e. you can't stream hulu through your blu-ray player if that's not one of the offered services on your player (at least that's what I keep running across).

Just my 2 cents :drinker:
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,271 Member
    2 years ago I would have told you that the PS3 was a no brainer and I currently own a PS# and purchased it solely for the Blu-Ray player. I dont play games very often on it but I do use it as a Media hub for music and movies. My PS3 streams music and movies from my media server in my basement.

However I understand you not wanting to spend an extra $200 on something you don't need or intend to use.

I would say this. Buy name brand.
    Definitely get some sort of network connectivity. Either ethernet or wirless
    Get one that has netflix streaming
    Get the latest version of blu-ray 2.0?

Speeds are important. Slow load times will annoy you and others who maybe watching. Blu-ray discs have lots of internet features and other cool things included on the discs also I think certain Netflix offering are in HD at least the stuff I'm using.

Enjoy
  • Fieldsy
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036WS4CA/ref=oss_product

I went with that one. Can I hard wire it right to my modem, or does it have to be a router? (They are both next to each other so it doesnt matter)
  • MassiveDelta
    you can it has a ethernet port. Plus it looks like its wifi ready with an adapter if you ever decide to go that route.
  • MassiveDelta
    Oh and Dude congrats on the 221 lbs Just Awesome!
  • Fieldsy
    you can it has a ethernet port. Plus it looks like its wifi ready with an adapter if you ever decide to go that route.

Does that mean I can connect with wifi with just the blu ray and adapter itself...or do I need to purchase something for that?

I am going wired though, just was wondering

and thanks! I gained a little back....damn holidays and whatnot lol
  • Fieldsy
    You can add blu ray to your netflix account and have blu ray movies sent to your house. Why would you stream standard movies on your blu ray if you can get the 1080p on the actual discs?
  • immacookie
    You can add blu ray to your netflix account and have blu ray movies sent to your house. Why would you stream standard movies on your blu ray if you can get the 1080p on the actual discs?

I went with a LG model from the Amazon cyber monday sale.... no wi-fi... but I didn't see the need for it (as you mention above I can just get blu ray discs sent to me). If I want to stream something I can hook my netbook to my LCD tv (which is what we do now)... or I can download whatever to a USB device and plug that into my blu- ray player.

p.s. go Eagles! :bigsmile:
  • Fieldsy
    Eagles...I am unhappy with them right now lol
  • immacookie
    Eagles...I am unhappy with them right now lol

Vick schmick :tongue:
  • Fieldsy
    Vick doesn't play defense or drop passes lol
This discussion has been closed.