P90X Question

Options
Just got P90X and was reading through everything.....one thing I noticed is that it seems to emphasize that you should not be counting calories and/or creating a calorie deficiency while doing P90X. I started MFP recently and wanted to do both....any thoughts? I can't afford to buy all of the foods in the nutritional guide that comes with P90X because I lost my job. Thanks, all!! :)

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can do P90X on a caloric deficit, many do, do that, but I would not have a 2lb/week goal deficit. Try 0.5 or 1 lb/week and see how that goes. Eating too few calories will not leave you with enough energy to do the program.
  • MizzFitness
    MizzFitness Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    EAT on P90X or you will not have the energy to make it through all the programs or give 100% effort! I loved doing P90X!!! I ate plenty, worked out hard, & watched my clothes get bigger & bigger every day!!
  • jared1229
    Options
    I'm in my second round of P90X, on the first go around I did it with a 500 calorie daily deficit and did count calories. I know the fitness/nutrition guide says not to, but I found it to be much more accurate than following their meal or portion plan. I simply inputed the protein/carb/fat goals into myfitnesspal and tracked my food from there. It worked great for me. I agree with the other post, a 1 pound (500 calorie dailly deficit) is more than enough, P90X is pretty intense and you've got to be sure not to under eat. Good luck.
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm in my second round of P90X, on the first go around I did it with a 500 calorie daily deficit and did count calories. I know the fitness/nutrition guide says not to, but I found it to be much more accurate than following their meal or portion plan. I simply inputed the protein/carb/fat goals into myfitnesspal and tracked my food from there. It worked great for me. I agree with the other post, a 1 pound (500 calorie dailly deficit) is more than enough, P90X is pretty intense and you've got to be sure not to under eat. Good luck.

i am researching this topic as well! When you say you created a 500 calorie deficit, did you use the calorie figures p90x provides, 1800-500, or 2400-500,ect? Or did you use the numbers my fitness pal gave you?
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Just got P90X and was reading through everything.....one thing I noticed is that it seems to emphasize that you should not be counting calories and/or creating a calorie deficiency while doing P90X. I started MFP recently and wanted to do both....any thoughts? I can't afford to buy all of the foods in the nutritional guide that comes with P90X because I lost my job. Thanks, all!! :)

i am at level 2, and I know for myself if I drop under 2000 calories I won't have enough energy to do my workout or even throughout the day! I am still looking for the best thing for me to do since I would love to see some pounds drop!!!