Only gained 6 pounds

Options
We spent 5 days on Royal Carribean then went home to the family for thanksgiving and only gained 6 pounds. My wife maintained her weight. I was happy.

Rich

Replies

• modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Man, it took me like 2 months to lose 6 pounds...
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    not bad i would gain an average 10 lbs on cruises lol
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

6 pounds in 5 days is an extremely high amount to gain. it takes 3500 more calories than you burn to gain 1 pound so if your maintenance is 2100 cals you would have had to consume an average of 5600 calories a day. Most likely some of the 6 pounds is water weight due to sodium levels in the food. Drink plenty of water over the next few days and you should lose a few of those 6 lbs.
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Me too. I don't think I'll be taking a cruise any time soon.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

6 pounds in 5 days is an extremely high amount to gain. it takes 3500 more calories than you burn to gain 1 pound so if your maintenance is 2100 cals you would have had to consume an average of 5600 calories a day. Most likely some of the 6 pounds is water weight due to sodium levels in the food. Drink plenty of water over the next few days and you should lose a few of those 6 lbs.

I second the theory that it's sodium and water. I went up (don't know how much...not getting on the scale yet, but I can tell just in feeling) this weekend with a lot of eating out with my parents. But hopped back on my careful counting and monitoring this morning - up the water, stick with the low-cal high fiber low sodium stuff and up the water and I'm already peeing a lot more. Hoping that a good bit of what I put on does turn out to be water-weight due to sodium.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    I once gained 9 pounds on a 7 day cruise. I LOVE cruises, but sticking to a diet can be very very tough.

If you drank a lot on the cruise, than most of it is probably water weight.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    i loved the fat free soft serve on our cruise...i didn't gain any weight...came back .5 pound less, started cooking & then I packed on 16 pounds after the cruise! lol I'm back down again after 2 months of hard work! You're a man, 6 pounds will fall off quick! Glad you enjoyed yourself! WTG to your wife!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    he probably ate lots of foods that contained sodium....I gained during the holidays, but it was mostly the food that I ate had sodium, but Im losing again........no regrets here, I planned and I did goood for the holidays.........but lol, Im back exercising and watching my calories....Lloyd
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I gained 8 lbs. in 2 days (Thursday & Friday) :laugh:
    And was mostly under my calorie goal, but definitely over sodium amount. In 2 days (Saturday & Sunday) I've lost 7 of those lbs.
    Now only 4 to go until I'm back down to where I was before my husband came home lol.

Definitely mostly water weight. It'll go away soon.