Winter blues

Options
Hi folks - for any of you living in the UK current temperatures have well and truly plummeted overnight - I've found the sudden change in temperature very challenging (not only from a nutritional point of view but also fitness) - does anyone have any ideas on how to cope with this? I'm constantly hungry and i know it's only just because it's gotten very cold all of a sudden. I need to feel full but don't want to go back to 'bad' foods to fulfill this...

if you have any dieas it would be much appreciated!

Replies

• MarieS1967
    MarieS1967 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The Million Dollar Question! If I only had the answer!

I live in New Enlgand so I understand how you feel - it's cold and dark!

Focus on the positive and look ahead! Time goes quickly before you know it - it's Spring! Think about how you are going to feel and look if you put forth the effort know. Think how you will feel when you put away your winter clothes and you take out your warm weather wardrobe, which is going to fit this coming year. No pulling, tugging, putting yourself down!

Also take each day one at a time. Make your best choices you can that day. Do something to move your body every day. Even if it just a quick walk around the block. I do this sometimes and end up doing 4 or 5 times. The hardest part is just doing it, once your body is in motion your mind will follow.

Good luck!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Try drinking your water at room temperature- you can drink more of it because you arent as cold.

Also embrace the winter type of food- make soups with potatoes, leeks, and all sorts of veggies! Bring snacks that warm up (I like to heat my hummus in the micro wave for about 10 seconds)

For fitness, look for videos online and put together your own indoor regime if the outdoors is too frigid.

Good luck!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I've been trapped in my house for a week because of snow and snow drifts. The only way I seem to cope is exercising ( I ride a recumbent bike in front of the tv) and planning for the future. If I find something good on tv... sometimes I dont even know I'm exercising... lol. Good luck!
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    I like staying in and cooking when it's cold. Just because you're cooking doesn't necessarily mean unhealthy either...usually it's better for you! Soups, stews and chili are my go-tos, but I've also started experimenting with some other healthy recipes on Food Network.com
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I am not from the UK and though it is not cold here compared to other parts it has cooled off her all of the sudden too. I have been making alot of soups, drinking alot of warm tea and walking in place during commercials or while I am watching something on the computer. Even if you do a little bit it all adds up. Good Luck
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I am from Colorado and although we get tons of sunshine it is frigid. I drink lots and lots and lots of hot tea. I am also having a hard time with food. All my winter comfort foods are pretty naughty. I am trying to change that.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm from Alberta, we finally crawled out of our -35 degrees celsius cold snap...I recommend Vitamin D (go tanning, it warms you up and gives you vitamin D), or drink lots of herbal tea. Wal-Mart has "happy lights" that you literally sit in front of for about half an hour (any flourescent lights will do)...sounds like you have SADDS...I do too that's why I did a paper on it in university. If you don't infuse yourself with Vitamin D, exercise and love...you're going to get depressed...good luck, spring is only 5 months away:bigsmile:
  • judelyon
    judelyon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses - inspiring stuff :)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!I use this time of year to drink hot tea,make healthy stews,soups.Take one day at a time.Try to stay focuse on what you`ve been doing.Exercise helps me stay on track and helps fight the blues.
    Good luck!!jane